Talk:Candle snuffer

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search


I think a candle snuffer is the scissorlike tool used to cut off the cord in the candle, not to put the candle out. Categorica (talk) 19:29, 16 June 2013 (UTC), should the article be now split to candle snuffer and candle douter/extinguisher? (Cf. d:Q255477 and d:Q19978881.) --Mormegil (talk) 22:17, 3 June 2015 (UTC)
There should be two different articles: snuffer and douter. But I can't be bothered to write them I'm afraid... Nick Michael (talk) 20:49, 29 January 2016 (UTC)
I have separated out the information about the two tools, so it should now be fairly easy to split the article if desired. But since this is already such a short article I'm not sure it's worthwhile. 2601:644:0:DBD0:1879:75AB:B0D3:F3D9 (talk) 07:11, 8 September 2017 (UTC)


It would be brilliant if someone in the know could include a history of this interesting instrument. I don't think I have ever seen one pre-18th century. Yet they must surely have existed from time immemorial. Or was there another way to snuff the wick of a candle? Nick Michael (talk) 21:32, 5 February 2016 (UTC)

I just added a ref which indicates they may have been in use by 1600 or even earlier. 2601:644:0:DBD0:1879:75AB:B0D3:F3D9 (talk) 07:32, 8 September 2017 (UTC)
Found a reference of 1444:

Do you think it's worthwhile mentioning/posting in the article? Nick Michael (talk) 21:21, 14 November 2017 (UTC)

Candle snuffers date from the 17-mid 19th centuries. They are scissor-type tools that cut and retain the snuff trimmed from candle wicks. The snuff is partially burned wicks and, with the addition of oxygen, is very flammable, therefore it needed to be isolated so it would not reignite once trimmed from the wick. The simplest and most common form of candle snuffer consists of a pair of scissors, with an attached box to retain the snuff. The snuff would be smashed into the box so it would not reignite. Many complex forms of snuffers evolved for the homes with many candles. Some had concentric trap-doors that would snap shut and isolate the sniff. Other's would stow the snuff in a lower cavity in the scissors. Similar devices include the douter, and the extinguisher, both predating the scissor snuffer. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Dbeeksci (talkcontribs) 20:16, 15 March 2018 (UTC)