Talk:Metropolis of Kastoria
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Talk:Castoria (titular see))
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
An editor has proposed that this article be merged with Kastoria.
Neutral.This article has little material and probably is not worth keeping. However, thought should be given to an alternative to merging it with the article on the town, i.e., the possibility of expanding it with information on the episcopal see, and changing the title to Castoria (episcopal see). It's a see of more than one church. The German Wikipedia has a whole series of articles like this one, distinct from the articles on the towns. Should the question be raised in some venue where more eyes will see it? Esoglou (talk) 17:06, 21 December 2013 (UTC)
- Merge The current article has a total of 50 words about the diocesan see, about 150 about the town, and exactly 5 words about the titular see: "is a Catholic titular see". Clearly the 150 words about the history of the town belong in Kastoria. I'd think the natural place for the small amount of information about ecclesiastical history (50 words) belongs there, too. In principle, of course, a full article could be written on the ecclesiastical history of the common see and later the separate territorial Orthodox and Latin sees, and the Latin titular see, and when that happens, a "main article" on that topic would make sense. But we seem to be very far from that.
- Also, these multiple articles from the Catholic Encyclopedia about titular sees are an example of WP:Systemic bias driven by the easy availability of information about titular sees (a topic of very minor inherent importance, but easy to copy from the old Catholic Encyclopedia and catholic-hierarchy.org) and the lack of easy availability of information about the actual historical bishoprics, both Greek and Latin. That is not to say that we shouldn't include this information, but we should not be giving it undue prominence. --Macrakis (talk) 20:31, 21 December 2013 (UTC)
- I have expanded the article a little and, as suggested above, renamed it "Castoria (episcopal see)". Surely much more could be added about the Greek and Bulgarian bishops of the see, and also on the Latin bishops. On the merger proposal I am still neutral. Esoglou (talk) 14:17, 10 January 2014 (UTC)
- Oppose. The see is still active in present-day Greece and has a long history. It is a start-class article now, but it is certainly a subject of inherent notability that merits a distinct article. Expansion is called for, as Esoglou has already done, not merging. Constantine ✍ 13:50, 13 March 2014 (UTC)
- Oppose. This is an active Metropolis of the Orthodox Church of Greece and deserves its own article. Even if it was simply an ancient/historic diocese only, for example, it would still deserve its own article. Note that the article has just been expanded with list of Metropolitans and list of active monasteries. ΙΣΧΣΝΙΚΑ-888 (talk) 02:51, 21 May 2014 (UTC)