Talk:Central School of Art and Design
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Central School of Art and Design article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
deletion of notable alumni
I have included the following Central School alumni: Maria Bjornsen, Alison Chitty OBE, (notable graduates of the Central School's Theatre Design department under Ralph Koltai) Alison Britton OBE RA, Richard Slee, who recently exhibited at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London and has a long and notable career, and Andrew Lord, who has had a critically acclaimed international career (all graduates of the Central School's Ceramics Department under Gilbert Harding Green). All of these alumni either have a wikipedia page or would qualify for a wikipedia page and therefore meet the wikipedia criteria for inclusion under 'notable alumni'. With the exception of Maria Bjornsen, the alumni I submitted have been deleted by Justlettersandnumbers. I would like assurance Justlettersandnumbers is maintaining Wikipedia's neutral point of view and welcome further explanation.Shepherdsong (talk) 14:45, 28 September 2013 (UTC)
- Yes, you've "included" them several times now. You've also added Andrew Lord to quite a number of other articles. Any particular reason?
- You are right that they all meet the criteria for inclusion as alumni of the school (for which notability is the crucial criterion), as discussed at WP:Alumni and WP:UNIGUIDE. That is why they are included in the List of alumni of the Central School of Art and Design - except for Lord, who doesn't have an article here. The few that are also included in the article on the school are those that are household names, to avoid this turning into yet another WP:Laundry list. Justlettersandnumbers (talk) 15:51, 28 September 2013 (UTC)
Yes, I've worked at one time or another with or on publications of most of the artists I've mentioned above, certainly Britton, Bjornsen, Lord and Slee, as well as many others, and that gives me a good working knowledge of their careers. I am surprised to see the randomness of who is missed out and who is included in Wikipedia and wonder why you've repeatedly deleted the names I've suggested whilst maintaining other lesser known alumni on the list. None of the alumni on your approved list are "household names", with the arguable exceptions of Lucian Freud, Eric Gill and Terence Conran, and then only in the most rarified of households. I think your criteria for inclusion, that of "household name" might reduce the list to the three alumni mentioned above and perhaps include Victor Pasmore, Mike Leigh and Joe Strummer, the last two having only briefly studied at the Central and gone on to find fame in other fields. A S Byatt is not an alumnus of the Central School but was for a time a member of the faculty. A problem with the "household name" criteria is that it is driven by celebrity rather than by notabilty, perhaps that is why the sole name on my list you did not delete was Maria Bjornsen, extremely talented and now famous. I see nowhere on Wikipedia that "houshold name" is a criteria for notability but perhaps you can direct me to that. The remainder of your list of alumni are at best notable in their field although in most cases that is a stretch. My aim has been neutrality and impartiality, nothing more Shepherdsong (talk) 17:17, 28 September 2013 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Central School of Art and Design. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20131110185130/http://www.arts.ac.uk/media/governance/documents/Brief-History_revised-Aug2012.pdf to http://www.arts.ac.uk/media/governance/documents/Brief-History_revised-Aug2012.pdf
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.