|WikiProject Minnesota||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
|WikiProject Cities||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
To Whom It May Concern,
I am just curious. How in the world did the small Minnesote Town of Ceylon City get that name in the first place?
I would be most grateful if someone could explain its brief history. I wonder if it has any relation to the country Ceylon, now Sri Lanka?
I grew up in Ceylon, MN as we were always told that when a name was being chosen for the town, someone on the "committee" was in the grocery store and saw a package of Ceylon Tea from the island nation now known as Sri Lanka. I have no idea if this is true, but it was the story we were told in school.
The comment(s) below were originally left at several discussions in past years, these subpages are now deprecated. The comments may be irrelevant or outdated; if so, please feel free to remove this section., and are posted here for posterity. Following
|:I was told when the railroad came through, the postal service would not allow the nearby town of Tenhassen to use its name on the train Depot. People sitting around the depot saw a box of tea from Ceylon and it was decided that would be a good name for the new town. DFDFCM3 (talk) 06:29, 2 August 2009 (UTC)|
Last edited at 06:29, 2 August 2009 (UTC). Substituted at 11:12, 29 April 2016 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 5 external links on Ceylon, Minnesota. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive http://www.webcitation.org/6HQu4Spqa?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.census.gov%2Fpopest%2Fdata%2Fcities%2Ftotals%2F2012%2FSUB-EST2012.html to http://www.census.gov/popest/data/cities/totals/2012/SUB-EST2012.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20130911234518/http://factfinder2.census.gov to http://factfinder2.census.gov
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110721034521/http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST13&prodType=table to http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST13&prodType=table
- Added archive http://www.webcitation.org/64vfLAeJ2?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.census.gov%2Fgeo%2Fwww%2Fgazetteer%2Ffiles%2FGaz_places_national.txt to http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/files/Gaz_places_national.txt
- Added archive http://www.webcitation.org/6YSasqtfX?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.census.gov%2Fprod%2Fwww%2Fdecennial.html to http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.