|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
This page inherits its cleanup tag from the page on Charity (virtue), from which most of this material was split out.
IMO the splitting has helped; but this page still falls considerably short of what is desirable of a general overview page on the idea of benevolent giving. But it is where I am going to leave things for now. Jheald 12:17, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
I would like to add an external link to this page. www.greatergoodsa.co.za This website is a good point of reference when researching giving in different ways. Does anyone object to this? Experience the gift (talk) 10:41, 6 August 2008 (UTC)
- The site while good in its own context does not meet the needs of an encyclopedia. It's a "social marketplace" not a source of encyclopedic information about the subject of charity. It does not appear to meet our guidelines. -- SiobhanHansa 13:11, 6 August 2008 (UTC)
- St Paul's agapē was not primarily about good works and giving to the poor (And though I feed the poor with all my goods, and though I give my body, that I be burned, and have not love [agapē], it profiteth me nothing - 1 Cor 13:3, Geneva translation, 1560)
The first clause doesn't follow from the argument used - [1 Cor 13:3]. Besides being a bordering to WP:PSTS the conclusion is POVvy and one of several possible ones. Instead: the context 1Cor13 explains that charity is meaningless without agapē. So the conclusion could instead be that true charity implies agapē. ... said: Rursus (bork²) 12:14, 8 April 2009 (UTC)
- Besides, fresh translations are more factually correct, the translators of old had less linguist knowledge as well as much inferior sources to use for their translations. ... said: Rursus (bork²) 13:28, 8 April 2009 (UTC)
- SaintAloysius (talk) 14:25, 28 April 2016 (UTC)I don't think you've shown that the first statement doesn't follow from the citation. Paul writes of "giving away my possessions. . ." specifically without "agapē." Doesn't it follow that the "giving away" and "agapē" are not the same? I don't understand "charity is meaningless without agapē." The only word in 1 Cor 13 that's ever translated as "charity" is agapē. (I do see that Paul is bordering on being a primary source and that a modern Bible translation would be a better choice.)
zakat and charity
I do not think that Zakat should be considered equivalent of Charity (I did not look at the details of other sections), if considered charity at all; as zakat is obligatory for those who "can afford it", It is a religious pillar that is mandatory (think of Hajj for comparison); Charity as a term maps better (in arabic) to notios of "Sadaqa" (صدقة) and "Ihsan" (إحسان) and "عمل خيري" (words separately literally translates into "work/labor/action/doing/act" and "philanthropic/benevolent/beneficent/of good nature-purpose"), or even "هبة". although this generally applies to Zakat, but Zakat is not a subset of practice of charity; even in a strictly Islamic context. I think the intro of article Tzedakah applies to Zakat, and possibly also to "Sadaqa" (pronounced very similarly)--Mayz (talk) 11:45, 28 June 2014 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Charity (practice). Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20090527080829/http://seattletimes.nwsource.com:80/html/nationworld/2009253657_charity23.html to http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2009253657_charity23.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.