|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Chesterton, Indiana article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|WikiProject United States / Indiana||(Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)|
|WikiProject Chicago||(Rated Start-class)|
For years the Town of Chesterton has been plagued with Sewer issues including rate hikes, operational deficits, ageing combination storm and sanitary sewers, down town sewer pipe failures, and treatment plant bypasses. (1) In recent years the ill run Chesterton Wastewater Treatment Plant Bypassed nearly 499,999 gallons of raw sewage into nearby East Arm of the Little Calumet River.
(2)On another instance the waste water treatment plant was unable to determine their bypass amount because their meter was un-operational. However, plant operator reported a bypass lasting nearly 40 minutes with estimated flows topping out at 7,000 gallons per minute. (3) In September of 2009 a bypass of 500 gallons was recorded from the wastewater treatment plant due to a tornado related power failure. (4) Another instance of a bypass occurred in the spring of 2009. One evening from 7:45 P.M. to 11:45 P.M. the Wastewater treatment plant recorded a four hour long bypass event dumping an un-allowable amount of sewage into the Little Calumet River leading eventually to Lake Michigan.
Although Chesterton may seem like a great place to live, in reality don’t fish in the creeks, rivers, and streams, don’t swim in Lake Michigan, and if the wind is out of the northwest don’t breathe in the steel laden air.
“Chesterton Utility summer rate policy gave customers big break this year”
By KEVIN NEVERS Chesterton Tribune Posted 9/20/2005
(2) “Chesterton Utility bypasses in river during Tuesday storm” Chesterton Tribune Posted 7/9/2008
(3) “Get set: South Calumet Rd and Porter Ave intersection to close” By KEVIN NEVERS Chesterton Tribune Posted 9/22/2009
Self-serving references w/o significance.
I found these four citations spread through out topics (places, people, events) in Northwest Indiana. The few I checked, these were one of 4-5 references, where the topic is simple and straight forward. It appears that the Museum referenced and/or the individuals are increasing their web-presence without providing additional support for the topics where they are included. Recommend removal do 1 or 2 of the more significant citations. Identified a minimum of 29 such pages.
- phrases referenced:
- Dune Acres, Indiana - an area that many citizens, scientists, and politicians fought hard to preserve. - 3 references. NOTE: no link to the Indiana Dunes article has been created in the article, but the citation is present.
- Northwest Indiana - It is also the home of the Indiana Dunes, parts of which have been preserved through conservation efforts. - 4 references. NOTE: see above.
- Ghost legends of Indiana - Diana of the Dunes One of the most well known, and most celebrated ghost legends in Indiana is that of Diana of the Dunes. NOTE: the text is not linked to the Diana of the Dunes, which is also a wiki page.
- non-significant references:
- The cultural impact of a museum in a small community: The Hour Glass of Ogden Dunes. The Shouth(sp!) Shore Journal, 2, pp. 16–28.
- D Smith, S. & Mark, S. (2006). Alice Gray, Dorothy Buell, and Naomi Svihla:Preservationists of Ogden Dunes. The South Shore Journal, 1, 15-21
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 5 external links on Chesterton, Indiana. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive http://www.webcitation.org/6HQu4Spqa?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.census.gov%2Fpopest%2Fdata%2Fcities%2Ftotals%2F2012%2FSUB-EST2012.html to http://www.census.gov/popest/data/cities/totals/2012/SUB-EST2012.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20130911234518/http://factfinder2.census.gov to http://factfinder2.census.gov
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20140714172935/http://southshorejournal.org/index.php/issues/volume-2-2007/82-journals/vol-2-2007/104-the-cultural-impact-of-a-museum-in-a-small-community-the-hour-glass-in-ogend-dunes to http://southshorejournal.org/index.php/issues/volume-2-2007/82-journals/vol-2-2007/104-the-cultural-impact-of-a-museum-in-a-small-community-the-hour-glass-in-ogend-dunes
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20120913013557/http://www.southshorejournal.org:80/index.php/issues/volume-1-2006/78-journals/vol-1-2006/117-alice-gray-dorothy-buell-and-naomi-svihla-preservationists-of-ogden-dunes to http://www.southshorejournal.org/index.php/issues/volume-1-2006/78-journals/vol-1-2006/117-alice-gray-dorothy-buell-and-naomi-svihla-preservationists-of-ogden-dunes
- Added archive http://www.webcitation.org/6YSasqtfX?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.census.gov%2Fprod%2Fwww%2Fdecennial.html to http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.