From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Film (Rated Start-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Film. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see lists of open tasks and regional and topical task forces. To use this banner, please refer to the documentation. To improve this article, please refer to the guidelines.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
Taskforce icon
This article is supported by the Filmmaking task force.

Is this article correct ? My understanding based on some 40 years of photography was that the term chromogenic was used specifically for those monochrome films which used dyes rather than silver as the medium for recording images. Surely the term for colour films is simply colour films and not chromogenic films. The definition expressed in this article seems to be making life complicated and confusing a simple distinction and I personally believe it to be wrong. Velela 09:02, 7 July 2006 (UTC)

Yes, the article is correct. Chromogenic refers to both full-color and monochrome processes in which a colored dye in formed in processing. "The most widely used process for color negative film is Kodak's C-41, which produces a chromogenic color negative created by dye couplers" (Routledge). "Chromogenic Print: A print made from a color negative, involving three emulsion layers of silver salts sensitized to one of three colors—red, green, or blue" (Aperture). "Chromogenic print. The most common type of color photograph, printed from a chromogenic color negative; consists of dyes within gelatin layers on a plastic-coated paper base" (Metropolitan Museum of Art). --Stybn 08:04, 19 October 2006 (UTC)
What's with other chromogenic materials like electrochromics?? (talk) 11:49, 7 May 2009 (UTC)