Talk:Common Room (university)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Universities / Student Affairs  (Rated Start-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Universities, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of universities and colleges on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
Taskforce icon
This article is supported by Student Affairs task force.

Discussion moved from Talk:Junior Common Room

JCRs also exist at other universities.


What about MCRs?

I created a page on Middle Common Rooms but it's very brief at present. Feel free to add more info, of course. It's a little Oxford-centred at the moment, as that's the system I know! --Ed hazell 11:32, 13 June 2006 (UTC)

University of Bristol[edit]

Someone added a link to University of Bristol, but it looked like they were trying to repair my link to Uni of Nottm. I have reverted it to Nottm (since that's what I meant, and it fitted with the other link in the sentence).

If Bristol also has a JCR system then there's no reason why that shouldn't be added too. Jamse 12:11, 5 December 2005 (UTC)

Structural Change[edit]

I've taken the liberty of moving the list of JCRs onto a separate page - it was starting to get quite long, and while the information was useful, it was making this page a little unwieldy. I've set the page up with space for information for the JCRs at different institutions - I think this will be quite a useful way of looking at it, since they seem to vary a bit between institutions. Jamse 19:24, 12 December 2005 (UTC)

JCR Committees[edit]

There was a separate article on JCR Committees. I've moved the information to this article (some of it's under 'form and function', some is under York, since it was specific to there. Jamse 13:11, 21 December 2005 (UTC)

Lancaster University is also collegiate and has JCRs. The committees at Lancaster are called 'JCR Executives Committees' shortened to 'Exec', or (incorrectly more commonly) 'JCR'. Perhaps something for Lancaster should be noted. They fulfil a similar role to the York ones. More info can be found on the LUSU aritcle and the college articles linked in from there. Michaelliffen 15:23, 4 August 2006

Not for this page[edit]

A user entered the element below on this page. I've reverted, since it has nothing to do with the page title "Junior Common Room". If the term Journal Citation Report is commonly used and abbreviated to JCR then maybe JCR should become a disambiguation page that links here and to an article on Journal Citation Reports.

JCR is also known as Journal Citation Report, a report of the journal impact factor, or how often an "average article" in a journal is cited by other authors in their works. Therefore, JCR allows readers to compare journals in terms of their importance in a field. This feature is available in Web of Science.

Jamse 12:17, 16 March 2006 (UTC)

JCRs @ Oxford[edit]

A college's JCR consists of its undergrads, its MCR the postgrads and the SCR its fellows. Wadham College is a notable exception, having an SU that represents both undergrads and postgrads. However, it also maintains an MCR.

Resort articles?[edit]

Just to complicate matters further, not all universities with Senior and Junior Common Rooms have Middle Common Rooms, with postgraduates (and sometimes further division between taught and research students) ending up in either.

Currently the articles on Junior Common Room, Middle Common Room and Senior Common Room are a bit messy, not only because the term "Common Room" (with or without prefix) is used in a lot of universities (and some schools) to mean a physical space and not much more, but also because there are so many variants, especially with regards the nature of postgraduate students. Would a core article like Common Room (university) or somesuch be a better starting point to cover the overall set-ups, with the JCR, MCR and SCR pages handling the individual concept? Timrollpickering 23:41, 21 October 2006 (UTC)

LCR: Lower Common Room[edit]

University_of_East_Anglia has or had an "LCR", or Lower Common Room (probably equivalent to JCR). (talk) 20:06, 29 July 2009 (UTC)