Talk:Comparison of Linux distributions
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Comparison of Linux distributions article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Oracle Enterprise Linux missing from the picture
Since last year there is another Linux distribution: Oracle Enterprise Linux, based on Red Hat. Now they started with Oracle Enterprise Linux 4, and have released for few week already Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.
Alpine based on Linux_Router_Project ?
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Comparison of Linux distributions. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20031202145058/http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/ to http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/fc1/x86/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.
Formatting Errors in Tables
I don't know enough to fix it, but by adding links to the column headings, at least in the security featues table for the second feature column (3rd column since first is distro name), and probably for all columns in all tables, the sort function is broken. Example: On the tabled referred to, I can click on the column heading of the second column (first feature column) and the table sorts on that column; click it again and reverse the order of sort. This doesn't work on the next column, presumably because in adding a link to another article, it was broken. If nobody fixes this I'll come back and try myself eventually. Be warned, I may screw up worse. There's incentive for ya. ;-) — Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 18:13, 18 October 2017 (UTC)
- Thanks for reporting this. I tried to replicate the error, but all the sorting functions are working for me. Does anyone else have this issue? BananaCarrot152 (talk) 18:47, 18 October 2017 (UTC)
Still broken for me. Specifically the 3rd, 5th, & 6th columns. Try sorting the 3rd column, "Mandatory access control". I thing the 4th column "Software executable space protection" is an example of how it is SUPPOSED to done. Click on "Software" and it sorts; click on "executable . . ." and you go to another article. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 16:08, 21 October 2017 (UTC)
- Ah yes now I see it. Do you see the little up/down carrots next to the label? Those work for me, I didn't even know you could just click on the label itself. The only way I can think of to fix this would be to remove the wikilinks entirely, but if the carrots are showing up for you then clicking on those should work fine. BananaCarrot152 (talk) 20:36, 21 October 2017 (UTC)
"Do you see the little up/down carrots next to the label?" No. Not unless I turn off all styles and unset any color settings. This is the hazard of using monochrome images or depending on transparent portions for contrast in an icon image. Very bad practice IMO (no H, nothing H about my Os).
"The only way I can think of to fix this would be to remove the wikilinks entirely . . ." No, as I mentioned, the fourth column, "Software . . ." is done correctly. In any theme or color setting anyone is likely to use the portion of the label that you click on to sort the column and the portion that is a link to another article is in a different color. See my earlier description. I may have a go at fixing it myself later if someone else doesn't. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 21:10, 21 October 2017 (UTC)