|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Console game article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|WikiProject Video games||(Rated C-class, Top-importance)|
- 1 NPD
- 2 Limitations
- 3 Differences
- 4 Removed sections
- 5 Rewrote
- 6 Possible article merge
- 7 PEGI ratings: legally binding?
- 8 Foreign name changes.
- 9 NPD 2K6 Rankings
- 10 Merger proposal
- 11 Merge into "video game".
- 12 Lots of paid reviews
- 13 Some suggestions
- 14 Rewrite & expansion
- 15 External links modified
NPD's could also be updated for 2005 figures also. Need reference in highest selling games for 2006 (btw how come Zelda Twilight Princess is on the chart if it hasn't been released yet?)
Section on limitations and market is rather out of date - I've made some edits mentioning HDTV, but the whole section about PC RPG's being more complex than console ones is wholly innacurate. I would recomend deleting the whole section about limitations - the description of a videogame need not always be in reference to PC games. As a videogame designer I never think about this, and the majority of console game players will never consider this distinction either.
- I agree that it's not a very good section. Inaccurate, outdated and one-sided. There should probably be seperate article detailing the console vs PC debate.--Nydas 13:19, 12 March 2006 (UTC)
- The additions concerning HDTV are wholly inaccurate. XBOX 360 is the first console to support both 720p and 1080i on all games, but limited support for these modes was provided by both XBOX and Playstation 2 with the proper cabling and equipment. 126.96.36.199 19:34, 28 March 2006 (UTC)
- I've removed the limitations section. It was riddled with weasel words, POV, misleading statements. Who decides what constitutes 'simple' or 'complex' and how is simplicity a limitation? The section on PC gaming doesn't have a 'limitations' section, after all.--Nydas 10:25, 29 March 2006 (UTC)
I ask that editors please keep this article about games on dedicated home/personal gaming devices, and not about how pc and console games differ. A new article can be made for that. — Slike | Talk | 12:31, 28 Dec 2004 (UTC)
"Video game" is often taken in a narrow sense to mean those games played on consoles for television and similar handhelds. The term "video game" generally excludes computer games and coin-operated arcade games, not only because the games in these categories are historically different, but because the activity of playing these types of game is different (see history of the video games). The terms electronic game and interactive entertainment include video games, computer games, and coin-operated arcade games.
Possible article merge
PEGI ratings: legally binding?
- The only evidence I've found shows them to be legally binding in Vienna only. I've updated the article accordingly. Longwayround (talk) 15:32, 23 November 2011 (UTC)
Foreign name changes.
If you go to the Indigo Prophecy article you see that it redirects to the Fahrenheit (video game) article. This is because Fahrenheit is what the game is called in europe, but in the US it is called Indigo Prophecy. A similar thing is shown when you go to the Wanda and the Colossus which redirects to Shadow of the Colossus, however Shadow of the Colossus is what the game is called in the US while it is called Wanda and the Colossus in the in Japan. I just want to inquire to which title of the game should name the article. The US version or the Foreign version?
NPD 2K6 Rankings
Honestly, since Twilight Princess isn't even released, I see no reason to put the list up at all. It's obviously wrong, and even though there is a note, an encyclopedia shouldn't knowingly publish obviously false information. --Ultimus 15:15, 19 June 2006 (UTC)
I'm proposing merging Video game console with Console game in the same vein as was done with the various PC gaming and related pages were merged with Personal computer game. The reason is redundancy. BcRIPster (talk) 01:21, 11 September 2009 (UTC)
Yo fella! Don't put that merge notice if you don't know what's the difference between a hardware (video game console) and a software (console game). Read the two articles all over again before you ever think merging them. Also what you're going to do with the histories of the video game consoles if after they're merged. Kyrios320 (talk) 07:09, 25 November 2009 (UTC)
- Well, this was the kind of discussion I was hoping for by making a "proposal" to merge. I've read both pages which is why I made the suggestion. I can make a case for both approaches. Since this has sat so long without any feedback though I'll go ahead a remove the proposal for now. Besides, I'm not the first person to make this observation. See the previous talk entry from 2005. BcRIPster (talk) 16:24, 25 November 2009 (UTC)
Merge into "video game".
Ticklewickleukulele (talk) 01:05, 22 August 2012 (UTC)
Lots of paid reviews
In my opinion, there are several parts are missing. First, it would be better if they have the short history of console games because the very first video games invented were console games and console games are very important in the whole game industry. Also, an introduction to the famous console game makers and game titles won’t hurt. The other thing is that at the very last part where the authors talk about criticism, I feel that they more tend to argue for the video game. There might be some personal feeling in this part. And the last thing is the way how this article is presented. The use of big blocks of text without arranging is always a bad way to present information for people who want to quick clue. Bolding, changing font size, and use of graphs and images will make the article better. Zhh 97 (talk) 13:10, 6 March 2017 (UTC)
Rewrite & expansion
I've done quite an extensive expansion in the past few months in the hopes to spur some interest in the article especially as it's considered top importance.It's an overview article that spans a lot of large main articles and it's the first time I've tried improving one so I'm interested in seeing what happens as I've tried to take from various other high level articles in the same vein.
There's still improvements to be made, especially in the last couple of sections and the end of the history section and it can probably made some what more concise and definitely still requires some citations. CrimsonFox talk 21:57, 3 June 2017 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 3 external links on Console game. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/786/786938p1.html
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/video/res_evil/index.html
- Added archive https://archive.is/20130620001853/http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=781:total-annihilation-an-rtsg-classic&catid=22&Itemid=117 to http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=781%3Atotal-annihilation-an-rtsg-classic&catid=22&Itemid=117
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.