Talk:Cyber Sunday (2008)
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Cyber Sunday (2008) article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|Cyber Sunday (2008) was a Sports and recreation good articles nominee, but did not meet the good article criteria at the time. There are suggestions below for improving the article. Once these issues have been addressed, the article can be renominated. Editors may also seek a reassessment of the decision if they believe there was a mistake.|
|WikiProject Professional wrestling||(Rated C-class, Low-importance)|
- 1 Subject
- 2 Stone Cold Steve Austin
- 3 Cyber Sunday Poster
- 4 world heavyweight championship?
- 5 voting
- 6 The champ
- 7 Proof of Match
- 8 i cant think of a good heading
- 9 WWE Intercontinental Championship match
- 10 Voting by Text
- 11 Beginning of Article
- 12 The Undertaker vs. Big Show
- 13 Danny Connelly/WWE Championship Match
- 14 how to vote
- 15 Ted DiBiase
- 16 britain?
- 17 Dark match
- 18 Voting results
- 19 Footnotes
- 20 BS
- 21 FIX the article and lock!
- 22 Reception?
- 23 Who is working on this article?
- 24 GA Review
- 25 External links modified
Isn't Cyber Sunday (2008) technically the third annual Cyber Sunday event? Yes, the first two iterations followed the same interactive format. However, those events were known as Taboo Tuesday, not Cyber Sunday. --ECWAGuru (talk) 16:09, 21 August 2008 (UTC)
Stone Cold Steve Austin
According to the US Airways Centre website (the venue), Stone Cold is scheduled to make an apearance at Cyber Sunday. Is this reliable enough to add to the main article. Race t (talk) 10:49, 29 August 2008 (UTC)
Are there any issues about spoilers, as announcing stone cold now has revealed tht there will be a possible storyline or angle at the show. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 18:21, 11 September 2008 (UTC)
It's not that there is issues, it's just that there have been absolutely zero reports from what I have seen that Stone Cold is even going to be near the show let alone on it. COOLRUNNER87 (talk) 20:35, 11 September 2008 (UTC)
Listen. If Austin is gonna be on CS, it is determined by the fucking votes, OK?
- Remain civil and sign your posts, please. 14:00, 8 October 2008 (UTC)
Cyber Sunday Poster
Now, as for the poster: There has been a generic poster released by WWE for a placeholder for this event (much like the one back at Great American Bash with Edge and Funaki) featuring CM Punk. Is this notable enough to be posted, or should we wait until the final poster has been posted to put it in this article? COOLRUNNER87 (talk) 14:58, 1 September 2008 (UTC)
- I'd be tempted to wait until a final version. That looks like a placeholder version. D.M.N. (talk) 15:05, 1 September 2008 (UTC)
world heavyweight championship?
- Read the ref and the quote in the ref. D.M.N. (talk) 12:51, 27 September 2008 (UTC)
- Okay. It's fixed it's TBD vs TBA. Better, since we dont know who will win the ladder match at No Mercy. --Harvey "Two-Face" Dent (Muhaha!!) 16:07, 30 September 2008 (UTC)
Proof of Match
- Read the source.--SRX 02:24, 6 October 2008 (UTC)
- Yet, WWE doesnt have it on the Cyber Sunday website yet. Does have the Santino match on there though.
i cant think of a good heading
I just wanted to say thanks for changing the beggining of the article where it says about it being scripted. it looks far less ridiculous. (feel free to change spelling of that) —Preceding unsigned comment added by Dgenerationxcena (talk • contribs) 19:57, 6 October 2008 (UTC)
- Thank You, finally someone non-involved with WP:PW is happy with the change :)--SRX 20:30, 6 October 2008 (UTC)
WWE Intercontinental Championship match
It was just announced that Marella will defend his title against either Roddy Piper, Goldust or Honky Tonk Man via texting votes. PCE October 6, 2008 10:35 PM (ET)
- I think we have to go through SRX or someone else to add it. Normal people don't have those rights anymore. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Juniorlizard (talk • contribs) 02:42, 7 October 2008 (UTC)
- Dude it isn't like that, you made an edit that was not constructive. You removed a match and the box. Now the box isn't really needed before the ppv but you don't remove the entire thing. The IC match is alright to add.--WillC 02:47, 7 October 2008 (UTC)
- I've put the match in and referenced it. DoomsDay349 02:49, 7 October 2008 (UTC)
- Well the Batista/Jericho was & Still is not confirmed on WWE.com (where all match info should come from) therefore no matches were announced at that time. Now the Santino match is the only match confirmed by WWE. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Juniorlizard (talk • contribs) 02:52, 7 October 2008 (UTC)
Voting by Text
Everyone is probably aware that this year, the votes can only be submitted through text messages, and it is not, as it was before, unlimited voting on wwe.com. Perhaps this is of some importance, and perhaps not, but limiting the number of votes to 10 per registered phone will seriously cut the number of votes down quite substantially. Anyway, is it worthy enough to be mentioned?--Lord Dagon (talk) 03:50, 7 October 2008 (UTC)
Beginning of Article
The opening lines of the article are, in my opinion, very patronising and should be altered to be less insulting.
"The event will feature professional wrestling matches that involve different wrestlers from pre-existing scripted feuds, plots and storylines. Wrestlers will portray a villain or a fan favorite as they follow a series of events that build tension, and culminate into a wrestling match or series of matches."
The entire section is patronising (assuming, as it does, that people need to be hammered over the head that wrestling is "fake"), but the parts in bold are unbelievably so. It's like Wikipedia (or, rather, the writer of the article) is going out of its (his) way to show that wrestling is pre-determined rather than just saying that certain aspects of the show (and wrestling as a whole) are kayfabed and linking to the article on kayfabe itself. HDC7777 (talk) 12:53, 7 October 2008 (UTC)
- WT:PWS if you'd like to voice your concern, as it's project-related. Please read all relevant threads. Thanks. 12:58, 7 October 2008 (UTC)
- This format for pay-per-views was introduced by Wikiproject Professional wrestling in mid-2008. The purpose of it's introduction was to meet many of Wikipedia's guidelines, including WP:PLOT (Plot policy, meaning summarizing background, event, and aftermath information), WP:RS (Reliable Source policy, meaning citing all information to reliable sources such as websites, books, magazines, episodes, etc.), WP:IN-U (In-Universe Policy, meaning that all professional wrestling articles should be written in a way that all English readers, including those not familiar with the subject, can understand, WP:FICTION (Fiction policy, similar to that of WP:IN-U), and WP:JARGON (and the Jargon policy, meaning that articles should avoid using professional wrestling terms/slang in articles and should be explained briefly for the reader to understand the subject, which includes real names in parenthesis, explaining the process of executing throws, grapples, and attacks, and having the introductory paragraph explain about professional wrestling). This format has also helped the Wikiproject gain three Featured Articles, December to Dismember (2006), SummerSlam (2003), and The Great American Bash (2005); these articles exemplify Wikipedia's best work and represents the Wikiproject's best work and other articles should similarly follow their format. If you have a suggestion or comment about this format, refer to Wikiproject Professional wrestling/Suggestions.--SRX 02:13, 8 October 2008 (UTC)
The Undertaker vs. Big Show
OK! I added what type of matches Taker and Big Show could have at Cyber Sunday for the second time I added that The Undertaker and Big Show could either have a Last man Standing, I Quit or a Knockout match it depends upon the text voting.My edited information was removed earlier due to unknown reasons and I want a valid explanation for that. If you don't believe me and want proof go check the wrestling spoiler websites and read the smackdown spoilers and find out that the information I edited was valid and better yet check The Undertaker's fansite www.phenomforever.com if you still don't believe me. I was just trying to help expand the article but removing my edited information is just wrong.
I did explain it in a previous edit -- not everyone reads spoilers. Therefore, such results are not posted until the show has aired. There may be people who want to tune in on Friday night and be surprised as to what the stipulations are. If someone wants to actively seek out spoilers, there are a ton of ways to find them. Wikipedia should not be one of them. --ECWAGuru (talk) 16:15, 16 October 2008 (UTC)
- WP:SPOILER. We add in the information as long as there is a reliable source to back it up. ♥Nici♥Vampire♥Heart♥ 12:21, 17 October 2008 (UTC)
Danny Connelly/WWE Championship Match
1- Who is this person??? and 2 I'm about 99.99% sure that some person of less intelligence than a dead catfish stuck his own name in there. So I'm fixing it to what it is supposed to be; namely ie: Fans choose either Jeff Hardy, Valdmir Kozlov or a Triple threat match involving all three?Qazox (talk) 05:44, 20 October 2008 (UTC)
how to vote
- First off, don't attack others and remain civl, it was removed because Wikipedia is not a How-To-Guide, which includes how to vote. A prose already says that the only way to vote is by text messaging.--SRX 23:39, 22 October 2008 (UTC)
- Except that Ted DiBiase, Jr. wrestles simply as Ted DiBiase. ♥Nici♥Vampire♥Heart♥ 16:10, 26 October 2008 (UTC)
i went onto the wwe.com website and when you click on the part "how to watch" for cyber sunday there is no info. should we add that this is the first year for it not to air in the uk? —Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 23:24, 26 October 2008 (UTC)
- Anyone know the dark match for today's PPV? Brady4mvp (Talk) 00:49, 27 October 2008 (UTC)
- It was the match conducted on WWE.com, R-Truth vs. Shelton Benjamin for the WWE United States Championship.--SRX 00:51, 27 October 2008 (UTC)
- No, that was the preview match. I think there was another dark match before it. Brady4mvp (Talk) 00:55, 27 October 2008 (UTC)
- Yes, but with all these IP's and newbie edits, it's hard to get anything done at the moment.--SRX 01:41, 27 October 2008 (UTC)
- Yes because they explain minor things, which is what they are for.--SRX 02:45, 27 October 2008 (UTC)
Then how come at this year Royal Rumble when Mike Adamle made his Debut and it was put in the footnotes it was taken out because we were told footnotes were not allowed and consider vandalism [[User:Supermike|Supermike] (talk) —Preceding undated comment was added at 02:24, 27 October 2008 (UTC).
- That's trivia not a footnote. A footnote explains something in the text. Oh and you sign your name with 4 ~s so you don't have to type it out all the time. Tony2Times (talk) 01:23, 28 October 2008 (UTC)
- A footnote is not the same as trivia. 15:32, 28 October 2008 (UTC)
I saw am going to fuck mickey james on there 2...its stupid APWFAN69 (Talk) 07:44, 27 October 2008 (PST)
- Yeah it is, but this is a live PPV, so expect people to vandalize.--SRX 02:54, 27 October 2008 (UTC)
How About locking the pages since the PPV is over? APWFAN69 (Talk) 07:46, 27 October 2008 (PST)
- There is a request right now, but no one has responded to it, time will only tell.--SRX 02:57, 27 October 2008 (UTC)
FIX the article and lock!
- It's pending. (Page Protection)--SRX 03:11, 27 October 2008 (UTC)
- We really need an admin on when ppvs happen. It would make it easier so they can just protect it and we don't have to wait for it to be protected. This is the most vandalism there has been since forever.--WillC 03:15, 27 October 2008 (UTC)
Who the hell cares what some Canadian explorer thing rates an event? And since when do any pay per view articles have a reception page, except for the phenomenally awful like December to Dismember or phenomenally awesome like ECW One Night Stand 2005? This section isn't sourced, either. And wouldn't this mean we'd have to include the ratings of every single major website/wrestling "newz" rating place in that section? AndarielHalo (talk) 18:46, 27 October 2008 (UTC)
- Because it is a critic site, once more information is released, it will look like the Feature Article of SummerSlam (2003).--SRX 20:08, 27 October 2008 (UTC)
- Just about every GA or FA PPV has a reception section, and the Slam wrestling site is a generally respected and reliable source for reviews and ratings. All three wrestling PPV FAs reference it and the majority of our GAs do, and it's good to give some context of how the event was (generally) received. Cheers, DoomsDay 20:10, 27 October 2008 (UTC)
Who is working on this article?
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Cyber Sunday (2008). Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20090630182014/http://www.wwe.com/shows/cybersunday/matches/8320770/results/ to http://www.wwe.com/shows/cybersunday/matches/8320770/results/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.