|WikiProject London||(Rated C-class, Low-importance)|
|A fact from Devil's Acre appeared on Wikipedia's Main Page in the Did you know? column on 2 October 2010 (check views). The text of the entry was as follows: "Did you know
Categorisation was wrong
As shown by Booth's poverty map and my various clarifications and addition of the extra reference to Thorney Island:
- The area did not adjoin the River Thames.
- The category has therefore been removed: Category:Districts_of_London_on_the_River_Thames
- The cause of the stench was the Tyburn (stream)
- As in my various edits and contributions to London's tributaries, most of what is now Inner London's streams which were seldom known by the term river save among the most official, anglo-norman overlords, were culverted into mixed surface water (SW) and foul (FW) sewers. The natural gradients saved considerable engineering for Joseph Bazelgette's triple sewer scheme.
- Fascinatingly the slums were cleared and I can only thank the editors thus far enough who have brought this to c. C-class, for bringing to everyone's attention, George Peacock if other foundations exist on the site (such as the Guinness Trust), or Westminster Council please add appropriate references. Political of course if necessary as to who (e.g. 1920s to 60s central government housing policy) ensured these were built and the last remaining slums were cleared. This would be fascinating. Above all, the days of living in human excrement are largely over in Britain, thanks to generous previous generations. - Adam37 Talk 20:54, 22 August 2013 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Devil's Acre. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20120424060625/http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/mapsearch.aspx to http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/mapsearch.aspx
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.