|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Dharmendra article.|
|This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to this noticeboard. If you are connected to one of the subjects of this article and need help, please see this page.|
|WikiProject Biography / Actors and Filmmakers / Politics and Government||(Rated Start-class)|
|WikiProject India / Politics||(Rated C-class, High-importance)|
- 1 Comment
- 2 Verifiability
- 3 Wife's
- 4 children
- 5 wrong link
- 6 Personal Life
- 7 Deol family
- 8 Rewrite
- 9 Vandalism: Please check immediately
- 10 Vandalism: Reverted
- 11 "Despite"?
- 12 His religion
- 13 Fair use rationale for Image:Sholay1.jpg
- 14 One of the 5 most hansome men of the world
- 15 Photo gallery of Dharmendra
- 16 Vandalism
- 17 Image copyright problem with Image:Hema.jpg
- 18 Religious Conversion and Second Marriage
- 19 His Name
- 20 Filmography
- 21 Jatt Sikh
- 22 Semi Protected Page
- 23 Sushil Kumar Pandey
- 24 Mentioning Caste
- 25 Semi-protected edit request on 1 September 2014
At what age Dharmendra got his first filmfare award
We shouldn't add things that we can't verify. An anon has been added material that he insists that he heard from his father, or grandfather, re Dharmendra's early life. This could be a mistake, a rumor, a lie -- we don't know and we can't verify it. We don't include rumors! Anon, please stop insisting on this. Zora 19:30, 24 May 2006 (UTC)
Isn't he divorced to Hema Malini? confused
i am mightly confuse for heman life but i am trust of god he — Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 11:02, 27 May 2012 (UTC)
isnt Abahy Deol also his child (youngest son)? I'm quite sure as, Dharmendra was the producer of his debut movie. and I ahve also read that he is Bobby's brother http://www.apunkachoice.com/scoop/bollywood/20050217-2.html --Dhirad 09:55, 19 June 2006 (UTC)
- Abhay Deol is not his son. He is a nephew. Anagha 05:17, 12 September 2006 (UTC)
yes Abhay Deol is not his son. He is his brothers son, he is called a brother of Bobby because they are cousins, cousins are like brothers and sisters sometimes you know.
i think the link to barsaat is the link to the 1940's movie...
Was he really voted/declared top 10-handsome? I have not been able to verify it. Moreover, shouldn't it be in the 'professional life/career' section? Anagha 05:19, 12 September 2006 (UTC)
- It was a Vogue list of 50 most handsome men in the world. Not too sure about the top 10 bit. Haphar 14:45, 12 September 2006 (UTC)
Can you dig up a link? Anagha 17:55, 12 September 2006 (UTC)
Tried, can't find anything- it was in the 70's or the 80's. Get stumped by current lists coming up. Haphar 07:20, 13 September 2006 (UTC)
Can we add a Deol family category to the Indian film families category? Anagha 06:13, 12 September 2006 (UTC)
I rewrote, removing unsourced material, gossip, and personal opinions about his worth as an actor, his best films, etc. If such opinions can be sourced to a noted critic, say a newspaper or magazine film critic, we can quote them as "Critic X said Y about Dharmendra." We shouldn't present aesthetic judgments as if they were indubitable facts. Zora 06:28, 12 September 2006 (UTC)
- Zora - I remember reading the fact about Dharmendra & Hema Malini in Reader's Digest. It is common knowledge that Dharmendra paid spot boys to foul a romantic scene, so they had to re-enact it again and again. I could probably dig out the interview/article in real... but I'm unable to find an online link. Advise. Anagha 06:52, 12 September 2006 (UTC)
- I also have read that Dharmendra pursued Hema relentlessly during the filming. I believe that there's a book about the filming of Sholay, referenced in that film's article. If you can get hold of that book, we can quote it as to their romance.
- I think someone must have removed the comments about Dharmendra claiming that he was Muslim so that he could take a second wife. We should put that back, since it's a well-known scandal. I think it's still documented at the Hema Malini article. There was also some material about his early life, his father the schoolteacher, etc. that seems to have been deleted.
- Do let's try to write things in sober language, not in purple prose like the gossip columns. I keep running into this in the Bollywood articles; the only language that some editors seem to know is the breathless gushing language of the film magazines. Films are either hits or flops, actors are superstars or failures, romance blooms, careers take off, etc. We have to try to write like professors :) Even if it's about films. Zora 07:05, 12 September 2006 (UTC)
- The conversion allegation had surfaced when he ran for elections in Bikaner, so would be of 2004 vintage. These did not come up during the time he got married. Also there was a denial from his side, and do not recall any proof being given. A search of articles related to 2004 elections in India should get the details. Haphar 14:48, 12 September 2006 (UTC)
Vandalism: Please check immediately
This is to bring to the notice of the editors what I found in the opening lines on article:
Dharmendra (born Dharam Singh Deol on December 8, 1935 in Phagwara, Punjab), is an Indian actor who has appeared in many successful Hindi films since 1962.He is the lone Vampire of India.n his favourite drink is blood of dog.Subah do glass nashte me aur ek glass raat me.("Kutte kamine mai tera khoon pee jaoonga.")
Please check immediately. Looks like vandalism to me.--Vikas Kumar Ojha 20:27, 24 September 2006 (UTC)
- Checked and found that the Infobox has also been tampered with. The last changes to the article were made by around 5 hrs earlier. I am sorry I just don't have time to check or undo any of the changes further today. I'll right a note on Editors' talk pages. Sorry can't help further today. Thanks.--Vikas Kumar Ojha 20:37, 24 September 2006 (UTC)
OK a lot of Editors. Cannot tag every talk page. Reverted to
- (cur) (last) 01:36, 23 September 2006 RituJ (Talk | contribs) (→Personal life)
The edits removed:
- (cur) (last) 15:49, 24 September 2006 Hameednoor (Talk | contribs)
- (cur) (last) 13:25, 24 September 2006 Adityakt (Talk | contribs)
- (cur) (last) 13:22, 24 September 2006 Adityakt (Talk | contribs)
- (cur) (last) 13:20, 24 September 2006 Adityakt (Talk | contribs)
- (cur) (last) 13:18, 24 September 2006 Adityakt (Talk | contribs)
- My edit was to remove some photos of somebody who called himself dharmendra
- May be. You cannot say you missed the edits in the infobox where you were checking. I guess its Hameed, right? Please sign your name from now on.--Vikas Kumar Ojha Talk to me! 21:32, 24 September 2006 (UTC)
- Context- Note was left on Hameednoor's page asking how he missed the vandalism even if he made some edits after the vandalism by User:Adityakt--Vikas Kumar Ojha Talk to me! 21:32, 24 September 2006 (UTC)
- Template for Blatant Vandalism addedon Talk page of Adityakt--Vikas Kumar Ojha Talk to me! 21:32, 24 September 2006 (UTC)
Why the 'despite' in "Despite showcasing their background as proud Punjabi Jatts, members of the Deol family have publicy claimed that they belong to the Arya Samaj Hindu faith" ? Is there supposed to be some kind of contradiction? —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Tuncrypt (talk • contribs) 04:56, 17 January 2007 (UTC).
Hi folks. Please ascertain his past and present religion(s) and the present one is important in my view. Thanks. --Bhadani 11:40, 14 February 2007 (UTC)
- this and  say (as of 2004) he converted to Islam to marry with hema malina(orignally is sikh). Dmanning 09:39, 20 February 2007 (UTC)
No, we do not classify or identify people by religion unless it is a prominent part of their public persona, or it becomes in some way notable. A bishop, yes, we say what church; Elvis, we don't say. Nor Dharmendra. Unless you're going to discuss his second marriage. Zora 11:39, 20 February 2007 (UTC)
- There's nothing in WP:BLP that says we can't "classify people" by their religion, that's what Categories are for. Providing it is properly sourced of course. I have my doubts about the first link but the 2nd Rediff link seems pretty reliable. A news election report from 2004, not a gossip column. Ekantik talk 05:23, 22 February 2007 (UTC)
- Moreover, religious information is backed by these two sources,  which seem legit for inclusion in the infobox.--- Buzzzman 20:04, 30 January 2014 (UTC)
Fair use rationale for Image:Sholay1.jpg
Image:Sholay1.jpg is being used on this article. I notice the image page specifies that the image is being used under fair use but there is no explanation or rationale as to why its use in Wikipedia articles constitutes fair use. In addition to the boilerplate fair use template, you must also write out on the image description page a specific explanation or rationale for why using this image in each article is consistent with fair use.
Please go to the image description page and edit it to include a fair use rationale. Using one of the templates at Wikipedia:Fair use rationale guideline is an easy way to insure that your image is in compliance with Wikipedia policy, but remember that you must complete the template. Do not simply insert a blank template on an image page.
If there is other other fair use media, consider checking that you have specified the fair use rationale on the other images used on this page. Note that any fair use images uploaded after 4 May, 2006, and lacking such an explanation will be deleted one week after they have been uploaded, as described on criteria for speedy deletion. If you have any questions please ask them at the Media copyright questions page. Thank you.BetacommandBot 15:35, 4 June 2007 (UTC)
One of the 5 most hansome men of the world
I tried searching for this detail everywhere! but was unable to find. Seems this may be a rumour. I did delete this statement in the article. If a wikiuser comes across a reference then it can be reverted —Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 22:59, 16 October 2007 (UTC)
Photo gallery of Dharmendra
- Another edit of "Aarmin Singh Is King" by the same user, User talk:188.8.131.52, to the article Dharmendra, has been noticed. (Ekabhishek (talk) 11:25, 23 August 2008 (UTC))
Image copyright problem with Image:Hema.jpg
The image Image:Hema.jpg is used in this article under a claim of fair use, but it does not have an adequate explanation for why it meets the requirements for such images when used here. In particular, for each page the image is used on, it must have an explanation linking to that page which explains why it needs to be used on that page. Please check
- That there is a non-free use rationale on the image's description page for the use in this article.
- That this article is linked to from the image description page.
Religious Conversion and Second Marriage
Dharmendra Belongs From Jatt Sikh Background, And married to Prakash Kaur, and had two sons, Sunny and Bobby, He again Marrid to Hema Malini in 21 August 1979. This rumour has been rampant for decades, and has appeared more and more since Dharmendra Deol entered political life. I think whoever added this should provide proof before making such a statement again. Character assasination on wikipedia seems like a hobby nowadays.
- It's pretty difficult to research this. As far as anything approaching reliable source,, Dharmendra was Jatt0 Sikh, apparently, see  Dharmendra doesn't seem to be terribly exercised about his religious identity, perhaps, see , where he's quoted as saying, "Whether we are born in England, whether we are Sikh or Hindu or Jewish, we are all basically human beings and that is how we should treat each other. I wish everyone could go to this neighbourhood and visit this family as we did so that they too can know the wonderful welcome we got."
- An article on a visit to Ludhiana has Sahnewal as his "native village," and Lalton as "where he spent his childhood. But no info on his religion.
- There is more information about the court case, if it's the same one, at .
- Dharmendra, it seems quite clear from the sources is Jatt in origin. Some informal sources say "Jatt Sikh" Fewer say Jatt Hindu. And the strongest evidence for that which I found is in a complaint that was filed after the complaint in the above cited case was dismissed: "The private complaint filed before Chief Judicial Magistrate Mahendra Singh by Sharma alleged that Dharmendra described himself as Hindu Jat Sikh while concealing that he had changed his religion before marrying actress Hema Malini." It is unlikely that a complainant would allege this without documentary evidence of it. But it would be much better to find some independent reporting on what Dharmendra actually said in "describing himself." I'd guess "Hindu Jat Sikh" would be a category of "Jat Sikh" that are Hindu by religion. Or would it be the reverse? Dharmendra "Jat sikh" -wikipedia turns up 76 ghits. Dharmendra "Jat Hindu" -wikipedia turns up 7 ghits. Normally, Jat Hindu, Jat Muslim, and Jat Sikh would refer to Jat ancestry people who identify with one of the three religions. So what Hindu Jat Sikh would mean is beyond me. I don't see enough in the sources to justify a reference to his religion of origin in the article. So I think I'll edit it accordingly. --Abd (talk) 19:35, 28 October 2008 (UTC)
- One more point. It seems possible that the origin for the claim that he is "Hindu" would be stories that he accepted Islam to make it legal to marry his second wife. The relevant law is called the "Hindu Marriage Act." But apparently it also covers Jains, Buddhists, and Sikhs, so evading that act would not prove that one was not Sikh or that one was Hindu. See Polygamy#Hinduism. --Abd (talk) 19:52, 28 October 2008 (UTC)
- His autograph http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d8/Hema.jpg is signed "Dharmendar". I don't suppose someone wouldn't know how to spell his own name ? :p I mean shouldn't we spell his name the way he spells it himself ?
Do you agree that we need to have a separate Fimpgraphy article for Dharmendra? This is since the number of films in which he has acted is quite large in number. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Shashi sp (talk • contribs) 15:07, 4 June 2009 (UTC)
He Belongs From Jatt Sikh Sikh Family.
Semi Protected Page
hi, i wanna make this page semi protected . most of all other bollywood actors wiki profiles are semi protected so only auto users change info i see many users change good information for worse i don't know how to make page semi protected can any one help Theman244 (talk) 22:11, 6 August 2011 (UTC)
Sushil Kumar Pandey
There has been a discussion on India Portal related to mentioning of caste of subjects. The point is that mentioning caste of people, who have nothing to do with their caste, is found to be unnecessary by few editors. Hence the caste of the subject person needs to be deleted from the biography. I am not deleting the caste as of now but am only posting this here so that the regular editors of this article are well aware of it beforehand and no edit-wars take place. For details of discussion held on the portal please refer Wikipedia_talk:Noticeboard_for_India-related_topics#Mentioning_caste_of_Individuals. Your views if any are welcome there or even here.
And.... as the reasons of exclusion of caste pointed out were "irrelavant to notability of subject person", "privacy of the subject person", "inclusion of caste is like branding individuals", etc. other information included in the article which also fall under these cases will also be removed after discussions. Examples of it included religion, non-notable spouse's and children's and parents' information, previous occupation, lived in places, non-notability related educational qualification, etc.
Your views on this are also welcome here or at the India portal. -Animeshkulkarni (talk) 17:57, 1 January 2012 (UTC)
- Not here, please. There is a community discussion taking place at WT:INB and I would advise people to read the entire discussion before forming an opinion because the above summary is incorrect. Nothing more need be said here. - Sitush (talk) 02:07, 4 January 2012 (UTC)
Semi-protected edit request on 1 September 2014
|This edit request has been answered. Set the
Hi I was going through the page and i find many misleading information about Dharmendra G . He was actually born in phagwara not in nasrali khanna and the religin is also SIKH not islam .
For reference I am giving the link of the vijayta films which is the own production house of DEOL family . You can find all the actual and significan information on this page .
- Partly done: -I've made the requested change to put in his place of birth in the article. However, I do not see any mention of 'Nasrali Khanna'. And, Dharmendra was born Sikh but was later converted in to Muslim (source1, source2). He is not a Sikh now. Anupmehra -Let's talk! 19:23, 6 September 2014 (UTC)