|Dillo is a former featured article candidate. Please view the links under Article milestones below to see why the nomination failed. For older candidates, please check the archive.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Frames, Tabs, SSL, I18N and others
The article does not mention the existence of the multitude of patches to overcome many of Dillo 1.x´s perceived shortcomings. Before the project ground to a halt there was a period of quite active development by external developers which lead to the introduction of support for frames and tabs, https, asian languages and more (see  for a list of features). When it became clear that the core developers (Jorge and Sebastian) were not interested in adopting external patches and instead started to actively drive external developers away from the project, most of those who worked on Dillo gave up. Dillo development ground to a halt while the core developers concentrated on finding financial sponsors instead of actual development, an attitude which seemed counterproductive in the face of the number of volunteer developers willing to participate in the project. Many of the original patch sites have since disappeared, but the accumulated efforts of this period of activity can still be found (). The patches are/were commonly applied by package maintainers like Damn Small Linux Dillo so the efforts of those external developers were not in vain. Egnaledknarf (talk) 15:02, 12 April 2011 (UTC)
- Dillo for Windows is a not supported not official and unstable port. FedericoMP 02:39, 5 January 2007 (UTC)
Given that free software is a worldwide phenomenon and “LL” can either sound like an English “Y” or an “L” it might be helpful to clarify the pronunciation of this program.
Wait, hold on a second. You say this browser will work on a PS2. Do tell me more... --Hyad
- Yes, with the Linux kit - run it m'self sometimes. (see  in the cfyc section of the playstation2-linux.com site) --Bob aka Linuxlad 13:57, 26 December 2005 (UTC)
- That is a little misleading though, as Firefox will also run on PS2 linux, as will Mozilla and konqueror. Dillo is just a standard program, and ps2 linux can run any linux program, so saying that a "feature" of dillo is ps2 compatibility seems a little bit pointless to me, as browsing the articles for Gaim, Rhythmbox, Gedit, Gimp, etc, don't state "ps2 linux compatibility" as a feature.
- Er? What is misleading, please? - 1) I too have tried Firefox on the ps2 - it is horrible, lots of paging. 2) The ps2 is, by modern standards, a small-memory, slow machine and 3) dillo is a browser with a very small memory footprint.
- No one is claiming dillo is especially designed for the ps2, but it is designed for machines LIKE the ps2. I also run dillo on my old (slackware 4 powered) 486 laptop - get the picture? --Linuxlad 08:35, 27 March 2006 (UTC)
Mac OS X port
I have not seen a native port of Dillo to the Mac OSX. Why is it in Mac OSX category? --Anon.
- Probably because of the GNU Darwin packages linked in the downloads page. --maru (talk) contribs 04:09, 29 March 2006 (UTC)
Is dillo really dead now? The wait for the new all-singing FLTK version has been very long and there's no news or any sign of progress for *months*. This is equivalent to 5cm layer of dust in open source world.
- Well 0.8.6 wasn't out very long ago, and had some FLTK2 components (I remember it took an age to get them working on the PS2). As for the recent picture why not check out the recent commits on cvs. Bob aka Linuxlad 16:37, 20 August 2006 (UTC)
- Dillo's not dead. The development is proceeding but not in public because of lack of funds, which are a must for futher development.
"Dillo is highly secure - cookies are disabled by default, for instance." OK so maybe it's a secure browser, but I hardly think having cookies disabled shows it as being any more or less secure than other browsers. How about a better example of what makes it secure? SilverFox 04:35, 8 March 2007 (UTC)
The current link to the Dillo campaign points to a blank page on that wiki - it's been vandalised again and again by spambots, and that's it's current state. I registered and tried to revert to the change I hardlinked to, but it seems the wiki installation is broken, as the page merely dies if I attempt it, referring to a memsess() function not declared. I've tried twice. -pinkgothic 06:58, 14 June 2007 (UTC)
- Argh. That's typical. Doesn't work repeatedly before I report it, then does when I stubbornly try again. I've managed to get it reverted, so I'm, um, going to revert my change here again, I guess. Huh. Apologies for that. Not really sure what happened there (on fornix.sourceforge.com)...
- Actually, in interest of integrity, rather: there has been no change to that article since January. I assume the chance of it getting vandalised by spambots - again - is pretty high. Would anyone object to keeping the link as it is now - or regularly check the page and revert if it has been spammed? -pinkgothic 07:11, 14 June 2007 (UTC)
Remove Windows from supported OS?
Since Dillo is not officially available for Windows, and the project leader has expressed clear hate to the Windows platform, going as far as implying all Windows users are believers of false myths, I think Windows should be removed from Dillo's list of supported OS. Ufopedia (talk) 11:48, 14 November 2008 (UTC)
Armadillo Web Browser
I saw on the Armadillo (disambiguation) page:
- "Armadillo Web Browser, now called Dillo"
however, I don't see that information on this article, or anywhere else. I've removed it from that DAB page, but it could be relisted if it is verified to be true on this article. +mt 15:54, 13 January 2009 (UTC)
- "I bring it back" after 5 min search in the web I relised: Gzilla and armadillo are / were layout engines for dillo o.O mabdul 0=* 20:17, 13 January 2009 (UTC)
hey remember the dot, you amke a very good job! this is really good. can you search/add information about armadillo (see above)?!? bi-directional text. you revertet that back with the argument that dillo that doesn't support that. but that says the paragraph: dillo doesn't support flash, js, [...], bi-directional trext. ? or miss i something? mabdul 0=* 18:18, 13 February 2009 (UTC)
- Dillo not only does not support a mixture of left-to-right and right-to-left (bi-directional) text, it doesn't support right-to-left text at all. Thanks for your feedback! I've edited the article to mention Armadillo. —Remember the dot (talk) 19:09, 13 February 2009 (UTC)
Is a ~100 euro donation *really* significant enough to note? -- Thisisquitealongname (talk) 23:01, 25 October 2011 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 5 external links on Dillo. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20090425125143/http://freshmeat.net:80/projects/dillo/ to http://freshmeat.net/projects/dillo/
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20090216082242/http://www.linuxdevices.com:80/news/NS6109819427.html to http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6109819427.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20090215090123/http://linuxgazette.net:80/issue79/arndt.html to http://linuxgazette.net/issue79/arndt.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20120315210553/http://dillo-win32.sourceforge.net:80/dillo/status.php to http://dillo-win32.sourceforge.net/dillo/status.php
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20090214230717/http://desktoplinux.com:80/news/NS6922044112.html to http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6922044112.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.