|WikiProject Spaceflight||(Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)|
Is Kepler the last Discovery Program mission or is there a process under way to select further missions ?188.8.131.52 12:19, 24 May 2005 (UTC)
Has LARA a future?
- 1995 Near Earth Asteroid Rendezvous first launch of NASA's Discovery Program 
- 1998 Lunar prospector: overview third mission in NASA's DiscoveryProgram 
- 1999 STARDUST, the fourth in a series from the NASA Discovery Program 
- 2001 Genesis Earth Return fifth mission selected as part of NASA's Discovery Program 
- 2002 CONTOUR mission, will be the sixth launch in NASA's Discovery Program 
- 2004 MESSENGER the seventh NASA Discovery Program 
- 2005 Deep Impact (DI) mission, the eighth in NASA's Discovery Program 
- 2007 Dawn is the ninth mission in NASA's Discovery Program 
- 2009 Kepler 10th mission of the Discovery Program 
- 2011 GRAIL is the eleventh mission to be launched as part of NASA's Discovery programme 
- 2016 InSight is the 12th selection in NASA's series of Discovery-class missions. 
Others lost against Messenger
- Aladdin, Phobos and Deimos
- INSIDE Jupiter (The Interior Structure and Internal Dynamical Evolution of Jupiter)
- Deep Impact comet P/Tempel 1
- Messenger The Mercury Surface, Space Environment, Geochemistry and Ranging mission
- The Venus Sounder for Planetary Exploration, or Vesper
FIVE DISCOVERY MISSION PROPOSALS SELECTED FOR FEASIBILITY STUDIES November 12, 1998 --Stone (talk) 18:53, 25 December 2012 (UTC)
- Bitten, Robert E.; Bearden, David A.; Lao, Norman Y.; Park, Timothy H. (2006). "The effect of schedule constraints on the success of planetary missions". Acta Astronautica. 59 (8–11): 1101. doi:10.1016/j.actaastro.2005.07.029.
- Stern, S. Alan (2008). "The New Horizons Pluto Kuiper Belt Mission: An Overview with Historical Context". Space Science Reviews. 140: 3. doi:10.1007/s11214-007-9295-y.
- Paxton, Larry J. (2006). "Managing innovative space missions: Lessons from NASA". Journal of Knowledge Management. 10 (2): 8. doi:10.1108/13673270610656593.
- Niebur, Susan M. (2009). "Principal Investigators and mission leadership". Space Policy. 25 (3): 181. doi:10.1016/j.spacepol.2009.05.009.
- Kicza, Mary; Bruegge, Richard Vorder (1995). "NASA's Discovery Program". Acta Astronautica. 35: 41. doi:10.1016/0094-5765(94)00167-K.
- Niebur, Susan M. (2010). "Principal investigators and project managers: Insights from Discovery". Space Policy. 26 (3): 174. doi:10.1016/j.spacepol.2010.04.001.
Announcement of Opportunity for 2021 launch
NASA Discovery Program Draft Announcement of Opportunity - Feb 19, 2014. Launch readiness date NLT December 31, 2021. http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=45337
Except for abs.harvard.edu URLs, nearly all of the other references for this article are now available in the WayBack Machine and can be added to citations via the
|archivedate= parameters. For articles with a known publication date, the
|accessdate= parameter can be removed. This parameter is for use when the publication date cannot be discerned. -- 184.108.40.206 (talk) 17:34, 1 March 2014 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Discovery Program. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20140314010953/http://messenger.jhuapl.edu/gallery/sciencePhotos/image.php?gallery_id=2&image_id=1349 to http://messenger.jhuapl.edu/gallery/sciencePhotos/image.php?gallery_id=2&image_id=1349
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20131019233834/http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/timeline.asp to http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/timeline.asp
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.