|WikiProject Spaceflight||(Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)|
Is Kepler the last Discovery Program mission or is there a process under way to select further missions ?18.104.22.168 12:19, 24 May 2005 (UTC)
Has LARA a future?
- 1995 Near Earth Asteroid Rendezvous first launch of NASA's Discovery Program 
- 1998 Lunar prospector: overview third mission in NASA's DiscoveryProgram 
- 1999 STARDUST, the fourth in a series from the NASA Discovery Program 
- 2001 Genesis Earth Return fifth mission selected as part of NASA's Discovery Program 
- 2002 CONTOUR mission, will be the sixth launch in NASA's Discovery Program 
- 2004 MESSENGER the seventh NASA Discovery Program 
- 2005 Deep Impact (DI) mission, the eighth in NASA's Discovery Program 
- 2007 Dawn is the ninth mission in NASA's Discovery Program 
- 2009 Kepler 10th mission of the Discovery Program 
- 2011 GRAIL is the eleventh mission to be launched as part of NASA's Discovery programme 
- 2016 InSight is the 12th selection in NASA's series of Discovery-class missions. 
Others lost against Messenger
- Aladdin, Phobos and Deimos
- INSIDE Jupiter (The Interior Structure and Internal Dynamical Evolution of Jupiter)
- Deep Impact comet P/Tempel 1
- Messenger The Mercury Surface, Space Environment, Geochemistry and Ranging mission
- The Venus Sounder for Planetary Exploration, or Vesper
FIVE DISCOVERY MISSION PROPOSALS SELECTED FOR FEASIBILITY STUDIES November 12, 1998 --Stone (talk) 18:53, 25 December 2012 (UTC)
- Bitten, Robert E.; Bearden, David A.; Lao, Norman Y.; Park, Timothy H. (2006). "The effect of schedule constraints on the success of planetary missions". Acta Astronautica. 59 (8–11): 1101. doi:10.1016/j.actaastro.2005.07.029.
- Stern, S. Alan (2008). "The New Horizons Pluto Kuiper Belt Mission: An Overview with Historical Context". Space Science Reviews. 140: 3. doi:10.1007/s11214-007-9295-y.
- Paxton, Larry J. (2006). "Managing innovative space missions: Lessons from NASA". Journal of Knowledge Management. 10 (2): 8. doi:10.1108/13673270610656593.
- Niebur, Susan M. (2009). "Principal Investigators and mission leadership". Space Policy. 25 (3): 181. doi:10.1016/j.spacepol.2009.05.009.
- Kicza, Mary; Bruegge, Richard Vorder (1995). "NASA's Discovery Program". Acta Astronautica. 35: 41. doi:10.1016/0094-5765(94)00167-K.
- Niebur, Susan M. (2010). "Principal investigators and project managers: Insights from Discovery". Space Policy. 26 (3): 174. doi:10.1016/j.spacepol.2010.04.001.
Announcement of Opportunity for 2021 launch
NASA Discovery Program Draft Announcement of Opportunity - Feb 19, 2014. Launch readiness date NLT December 31, 2021. http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=45337
Except for abs.harvard.edu URLs, nearly all of the other references for this article are now available in the WayBack Machine and can be added to citations via the
|archivedate= parameters. For articles with a known publication date, the
|accessdate= parameter can be removed. This parameter is for use when the publication date cannot be discerned. -- 22.214.171.124 (talk) 17:34, 1 March 2014 (UTC)