|WikiProject Philosophy||(Rated Stub-class, Low-importance)|
|WikiProject Linguistics||(Rated Stub-class, Low-importance)|
- See reply at Talk:Donkey pronoun. The donkey sentence launched a lot of work in semantics of natural language, perhaps most notably discourse representation theory. You may want to upgrade the importance, once there's enough info in the article for that to be clear. Philosophers seem to be doing most of the work, linguists seem to value it more highly than philosophers though. That's just my impression from the literature, but I wouldn't defend it very hard. Alastair Haines (talk) 03:13, 23 April 2008 (UTC)
Where the page says:
"Imagine a situation where there is a farmer owning a donkey and a pig, and not beating any of them. The formula will be true in that situation, because for each farmer we need to find at least one object that either is not a donkey owned by this farmer, or is beaten by the farmer. Hence, if this object denotes the pig, the sentence will be true in that situation."
I find this confusing. Would it be clearer to say:
"Imagine a situation where there is a farmer owning a donkey and a pig, and not beating any of them. The formula will be made true in that situation by the pig (because it is not a donkey)." ?
p.s. What is so bad about having to use an existential quantifier sometimes and a universal at other times? In some sense this is 'inconsistent', but a pretty weak sense I would have thought. CathyLegg (talk) 12:23, 18 June 2009 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 3 external links on Donkey sentence. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20080515210049/http://semanticsarchive.net/Archive/2Y2ODI4Z/barker-shan-donkeys.pdf to http://www.semanticsarchive.net/Archive/2Y2ODI4Z/barker-shan-donkeys.pdf
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070610084435/http://www.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/~hans/hpl-drt.pdf to http://www.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/~hans/hpl-drt.pdf
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070516212356/www.csi.uottawa.ca/~kbarker/teach/5386/donkey.html to http://www.csi.uottawa.ca/~kbarker/teach/5386/donkey.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.