|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
James Preston was a United States statesman, who ostensibly had nothing to do with the town. I can find no record whatsoever of Ziad Soobratty in Yahoo. Have removed both names from the list. Dieter Simon 00:59, 5 April 2006 (UTC)
is it worth mentioning channel 4 voted it as the nicest place to live in the UK? Adamshappy 18:48, 3 July 2006 (UTC)
Poppies and beer bottles
Please clarify the relevance of the two images, the poppies photo and that of the beer bottles with particular reference to Epsom. Are the poppies made in Epsom? Are the beers brewed in Epsom?. If there is no particular relevance please add them to the articles where they are being discussed. Dieter Simon 00:42, 1 September 2006 (UTC)
Does the article really need a long list of pubs and social clubs in Epsom? Most of them aren't notable, they're just pubs.
And apparently the 7th Epsom scout group ranks higher than Epsom Playhouse in the list of local entertainments. 18.104.22.168 01:25, 2 September 2006 (UTC)
- I think a lot of that could be cut. This page is not as nice as Guildford's though it's better than Leatherhead's SuzanneKn 19:21, 7 December 2006 (UTC)
Copied here from Wikipedia:New contributors' help page by User:Orangemike
I accessed an article on Epsom and noted factual mistakes. I merely wanted to correct them (edit?) not write a new article. I do not wish to be identified so I created an account. I will try to find the page again and edit it, but in case I cannot:
1. The article stated that parts of Epsom are in the District of Reigate and Banstead. I strongly suspect that this is not so. I believe the contributor is confusing an indeterminate area loosely referred to as Epsom Downs with Epsom Town. The downland starts at the race course and the village of Langley Vale within the borough of Epsom & Ewell, and extends, without natural borders, into countryside neighbouring Tadworth, Walton Heath, Walton-on-the-Hill, and Banstead, all of which are within the District of Reigate and Banstead.
2. The article stated something to the effect that Epsom is within the Greater London area. I know his is not true. I have lived in the Borough of Epsom & Ewell from 1947 to 1986, and from 2007 to date (2010).
During the time of the London County Council, when Epsom Kingston and Sutton were all under Surrey County Council, there was a Metropolitan Police Force covering the LCC area (save for the City of London) and surrounding areas from the Home Counties, including Epsom and Ewell. The Metropolitan Area was not a tier of local government, just a police authority larger than the LCC, in charge for example of the Carriage Office, regulating London taxicabs. It may also have been used as a convenient descriptive area for other purposes.
When local government authorities were to be reorganised, it was proposed that the Metropolitan Police area become the jurisdiction at county level of the Greater London Council, with subordinate local authorities to be known as London Boroughs. Being in the "Green Belt" (created by the Town & Country Planning Act 1947)), surrounding London's urban sprawl, Epsom & Ewell Borough Council vehemently and successfully opposed this (an expense figure of £3 million springs to mind), with the result that this borough was excluded from the new GLC when it was created in 1963, but continued both to be under Surrey County Council, and to remain in the Metropolitan Police area, paying a precept to the Metropolitan Police Authority as before. Sutton and Cheam formed the major part of the London Borough of Sutton, and Kingston and Surbiton that of the London Borough of Kingston.
Sometime between 1986 and 2007, when I lived elsewhere, this anomaly was corrected and the police authority for Epsom and Ewell is now Surrey County Council.
3.I am sure that I have given enough information to enable someone who, unlike me, knows their way around the internet, to verify my assertions.
4. I will try to find my way back to see your response in a few days.
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 4 external links on Epsom. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20071030192829/http://www.gwp.enta.net/surrnames.htm to http://www.gwp.enta.net/surrnames.htm
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20120110125328/http://www.thisislondon.co.uk:80/standard/article-24024241-uks-most-desirable-location-named.do to http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-24024241-uks-most-desirable-location-named.do
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20131104130148/http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/epsomandewellfc/a/history-9397.html&page=3 to http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/epsomandewellfc/a/history-9397.html&page=3
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20100510105145/http://www.rosebery.surrey.sch.uk:80/ to http://www.rosebery.surrey.sch.uk
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.