From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Universities (Rated Start-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Universities, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of universities and colleges on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
WikiProject Organizations (Rated Start-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of the WikiProject Organizations. If you would like to participate please visit the project page, where you can join the project and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the project's importance scale.

[European Monarchical Nonsense][edit]

This article is obviously written with a European and mostly British bias, since Americans generally think the idea of appointed "titles" is nothing more than political, narcissistic, tripe. The idea that "fellows" are the highest technical recognition in corporations is simply superb idiocy coming from the luddite French or British cosmopolitans who's ancestors invented the men's tie, another pitifully sad manifestation of organizational evolution. This article is now being badged as failing Wikipedia standards. - Signed. Sir Windsor Spamalot. — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 16:42, 7 March 2013 (UTC)


Since fellowship redirects here, anyone care to take a stab at adding a definition of fellowship that describes subspecialty training after a residency program in medicine in the United States? Ksheka 22:47, May 9, 2005 (UTC)

I have revised the statement In the USA, a period of medical training following on from residency is sometimes called fellowship to reflect the fact that this is standard, perhaps universal, usage - to my my knowledge, there is no "sometimes" about it. Post-residency physician training in North America is nearly always called a fellowship, and the physician is called a fellow. Thus, Dr. X finishes his medical residency (that is, his residency in internal medicine) and starts a fellowship in cardiology, at which point he is known as a cardiology fellow. In 20+ years of working in academic medicine, I've never heard any other terminology for this type of training. The article now reflects that fact and also adds a brief description of what a fellowship means in this context. The description has a bias toward medical/pediatric subspecialities because that's where my experience lies. If there are important details relevant to surgical subspecialties that have been omitted, please feel free to edit. (Wouldn't want to offend the surgeons!) Essex999968.83.140.156 05:03, 14 September 2006 (UTC)

I have done a major rewrite on this, with more detail about the Oxbridge use of the term. Since this is based on my experience of UK acadmia, it would be useful if an American could check it out and edit to make any differences between the use of the title in the two systems clear. Jonathan 01:27, September 9, 2005 (UTC)

Fellow as a word for Man[edit]

I changed some of the intro text. The content suggested that fellow was no longer used in common speech. However, we here in Oklahoma and Texas still use the term, always in our signature accents of course. For instance, "What'd that fella want?" "Why's that fellar hasslin' you?" It may seem silly, but the term is not dead outside of academia. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 21:30, 24 March 2009 (UTC)

Men are fellows. It can be used as a greeting: Hi, Fellow. It can be used in place of a proper name; How are you doing, Fellow? It is still used in places other than OK and TX, like; AR, TN, MO, OH, etc. (s) Dr. Wayne Headrick, Sr., D.C.C., D.D.;; August 22, 2012

Text moved from article to talk page[edit]

The following was placed into the article by It does not belong there.

Here is something I cut and pasted from an email from a friend of mine, recently named a fellow at Cambridge University.

"All fellows are entitled to certain privileges within their College, such as free meals at High Table and the right to a rent-free room in College." From Wikipedia.

My friend's reply to this: "Yeah! I wish! The free meals were explained to me, and that's fine. Sitting around with other nerds over there. But there asking for quite a rent for a one bedroom in Clare Hall (that's the College with which I would be associated). So, Wikipedia better do a little more research on this, right?"

Bperry7 00:18, 7 September 2006 (UTC)


Should this article be split and disambiguated? Legis 15:43, 3 October 2006 (UTC)

I think so. For example, being able to link to "Fellow" as a specific term in the professional society sense would be useful from many existing articles.Edurant 22:57, 7 October 2006 (UTC)
I thought so too even before reading this comment. Andries 10:34, 2 March 2007 (UTC)
I agree. Cmcnicoll 22:20, 9 June 2007 (UTC)

National Fellow[edit]

Does anyone know how the "National Fellow" title, used in India & perhaps elsewhere, fits into the schema? An example would be Kumar Suresh Singh. Does it need to be added to this article? - Sitush (talk) 15:42, 11 November 2011 (UTC)

Life Fellow[edit]

A Cambridge college describes a recently deceased professor like this: "...Professor Oliver Rackham OBE MA PhD FBA, Botanist, Master of the College 2007-8, Fellow of the College 1964-2007 and 2008-2010, Honorary Fellow 2008-2015 and Life Fellow 2010-2015"[1] Article mentions Honorary Fellows; but what is a Life Fellow? --Macrakis (talk) 22:27, 13 February 2015 (UTC)

I think this is Cambridge specific. There are two types of regular fellows: Active Fellow and Life Fellow. Both are/ were members of a college. This is different from Honorary Fellows, who are "merely" affiliated or somehow linked to a college. If you find good sources that would help in adding this to the article.