Talk:Filler (materials)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Ground Calcium Carbonate (GCC) or Precipitated Calcium Carbonate (PCC) is used as a filler in paper. GCC and PCC are cheaper than wood fiber, so adding it to paper is cost efficient for the paper industry. Printing and writing paper can be made of 10 - 20% calcium cabonate.

In North America, calcium carbonate has begun to replace kaolin in the production of glossy paper. Europe has been practicing this as alkaline papermaking or acid-free papermaking for some decades. Carbonates are available in forms: ground calcium carbonate (GCC) or precipitated calcium carbonate (PCC). The latter has a very fine and controlled particle size, on the order of 2 micrometres in diameter, useful in coatings for paper.

is in CaC03 article - maybe as that article is long some of it can come here as a link??