Talk:Firefly (TV series)
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Firefly (TV series) article.|
|Archives: 1, 2, 3, 4|
|Firefly (TV series) is a featured article; it (or a previous version of it) has been identified as one of the best articles produced by the Wikipedia community. Even so, if you can update or improve it, please do so.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|The content of List of Firefly episodes was merged into Firefly (TV series). That page now redirects here. For the contribution history and old versions of the redirected page, please see ; for the discussion at that location, see its talk page.|
|This is not a forum for general discussion about Firefly (TV series). Any such comments may be removed or refactored. Please limit discussion to improvement of this article. You may wish to ask factual questions about Firefly (TV series) at the Reference desk, discuss relevant Wikipedia policy at the Village pump, or ask for help at the Help desk.|
|This talk page is automatically archived by MiszaBot I. Threads with no replies in 270 days may be automatically moved.|
The Japanese 1996 Manga Series 'Outlaw Star' (and the respective 1998 Anime TV show) have quite a lot of similarities. It's hard to believe they are just random. Just by date, Outlaw Star should be earlier. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_Star — Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 03:42, 14 August 2014 (UTC)
With TV show starting 2 years earlier, Gene Roddenberry's 'Andromeda' have some similarities (and again, to Outlaw Star, like a female spaceship avatar). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda_%28TV_series%29 — Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 03:58, 14 August 2014 (UTC)
- @188.8.131.52: Andromeda did have some passing similarities to Outlaw Star and a number of other series. However, there are a great deal of similarities that are near actual copies between the Firefly and Outlaw Star. The way Melphina and River are presented are uncanny. The number of support actors in both series are the same as are their roles. The plots have a great deal of crossover that can't necessarily be explained as happenstance. According to Wiki guidelines, a section discussing this is well within bounds. Brainplay (talk) 21:24, 16 September 2014 (UTC)
Serenity (film) improvement to FA
I was looking around at the articles and I noticed that Serenity 's tenth anniversary is coming up September 30 (for the theater release), and I thought if it was possible to raise it to FA (it's currently standing at B class and is a delisted GA) it could be possibly nominated to appear on the front page then. I was wondering if anyone was interested in helping improve the article before then. Thought I'd ask here as the edit history is a little more active on this article. ~Cheers, TenTonParasol 18:39, 22 March 2015 (UTC)
I restored the hatnote I put here. The undoing editor TenTonParasol's rationale is fine and in an ideal world I would completely agree. But, users are driven by search engines and a lot of people have no idea about URL, even worse, in mobile devices it is hard to edit them. Google shows result for this TV show and not the insect family, so some users who are interested about insect may feel lost. That is why having the hatnote is a better idea than not having them. UX matters. nafSadh did say 16:10, 29 March 2015 (UTC)
- Ah! I didn't realize search engines only return the television series for the general term. In that case, hatnote does seem like a good idea. ~Cheers, TenTonParasol 17:13, 29 March 2015 (UTC)
Other roles section
What exactly does the section contribute in regards to information about Firefly itself? It's basically a section about the cast's other filmography. It's my opinion that it should be removed, on the grounds that it's not about the series itself. Is there a compelling reason it shouldn't be? ~Cheers, TenTonParasol 00:04, 31 March 2015 (UTC)
At the moment, there's a sentence under home release reading: "At Amazon.com the DVDs had average daily rankings of between 1st and 75th in 2003, 22nd and 397th in 2004, 2nd and 232nd in 2005, and 2nd and 31st in 2006 as of June 27, 2006." It cites the FireflyFans.net fansite (archive of the source). Really, is it so important the article list Amazon.com rankings, archival or not? Regardless, it's being sourced by a fansite, so it can't really be kept unless another source is found for it. Unless someone wants to go through and use all 306 Archive.org captures of the Amazon listing between August 22, 2007 and October 5, 2014. ~Cheers, TenTonParasol 01:44, 31 March 2015 (UTC)
- I'm removing the source and the associated sentence, so the page will be without Amazon rankings unless a proper source can be found for it. ~Cheers, TenTonParasol 14:04, 17 April 2015 (UTC)
Potentially useful article
There's an article with David Boyd at the American Society of Cinematographers from February 2003. I haven't read it, but its about filming the series. ~Cheers, TenTonParasol 21:33, 4 April 2015 (UTC)
Orphaned references in Firefly (TV series)
I check pages listed in Category:Pages with incorrect ref formatting to try to fix reference errors. One of the things I do is look for content for orphaned references in wikilinked articles. I have found content for some of Firefly (TV series)'s orphans, the problem is that I found more than one version. I can't determine which (if any) is correct for this article, so I am asking for a sentient editor to look it over and copy the correct ref content into this article.
Reference named "BuzzFeed":
- From Con Man (web series): Flaherty, Keely (March 11, 2015). "7 Things You Need To Know About Nathan Fillion And Alan Tudyk’s New Web Series". BuzzFeed. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- From Avengers: Age of Ultron: Vary, Adam (October 27, 2014). "What’s At Stake For Thor, Captain America, And The "Avengers" Franchise". BuzzFeed. Archived from the original on October 27, 2014. Retrieved October 27, 2014.
I apologize if any of the above are effectively identical; I am just a simple computer program, so I can't determine whether minor differences are significant or not. AnomieBOT⚡ 06:45, 17 April 2015 (UTC)
The Firefly Board Games
Please add a section describing the Board game series based-upon Firefly.