From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Trains / in UK (Rated Start-class, High-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Trains, an attempt to build a comprehensive and detailed guide to rail transport on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, you can visit the project page, where you can join the project and/or contribute to the discussion. See also: WikiProject Trains to do list
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 High  This article has been rated as High-importance on the project's importance scale.
Note icon
This article lacks sufficient references and/or adequate inline citations.

Splice-plate is a common term for this. We call them splice plates and we use them to join the guide rails for elevators. (talk) 14:57, 8 July 2015 (UTC)

The article does not explain why the railway fishplate has its shamferred edges. From what is already noted, this is apparently why the railway fishplate gets its name.

Also, it might be worth mentioning that the term fishplate is sometimes used generally (outside of railways) for any flat piece of metal bolted to more significant members to join them. Compare with the builders' use of noggin for a piece of wood used in a similar way? — Preceding unsigned comment added by David.J.Greaves (talkcontribs) 20:35, 14 May 2017 (UTC)

Reading elsewhere I note: Fishplate: a metal or wooden plate or slab bolted to each of two members that have been butted or lapped together. From the French aficher, to fix. So it seems to have less to do with masts and more to do with fixing. — Preceding unsigned comment added by David.J.Greaves (talkcontribs) 20:41, 14 May 2017 (UTC)