|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Gangsta's Paradise article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
- 1 Gangsta's Paradise (song)
- 2 "different orchestration"
- 3 this isnt completly rap
- 4 unclear reference
- 5 Song interpretation is POV
- 6 English?
- 7 Which Larry Sanders?
- 8 Fair use rationale for Image:Gangsta's Paradise.jpg
- 9 Korean version?
- 10 Stevie Wonder's reaction
- 11 (?) Bruno Rosa Nascimento (?)
- 12 Requested moves
- 13 External links modified
Gangsta's Paradise (song)
Since the song is much more well-known than the album and was a hit before the album was even released, I think that this page and Gangsta's Paradise should be switched. Tuf-Kat 21:09, May 12, 2005 (UTC)
- Just to clarify, I'm not saying the album should be moved to the factually-impaired Gangsta's Paradise (song), but rather to Gangsta's Paradise (album). Tuf-Kat
There's also a few other versions of Pastime Paradise out there as well...
* Pastime Paradise by Stevie Wonder (September 1976) o Pastime Paradise by Ray Barretto (1979) o Past Time Paradise by Panache Culture (1994) o Pastime Paradise by Najee (1995) o Gangsta's paradise by Coolio (1995) + Amish Paradise by "Weird Al" Yankovic (March 1996) + Gangster's Paradise by Havana Express (2002) o Pastime Paradise by Rainer (2000) o Pastime Paradise by Sherry Winston (2000) o Pastime Paradise by Youngblood Brass Band (2000)
--Ronski 20:55, 19 August 2006 (UTC)
the line "and a different orchestration of the same backing music" is unclear. the song is directly sampled, you can hear it in the percussion that got carried with the short sample that loops. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 07:15, 9 May 2011 (UTC)
this isnt completly rap
Anyone else think R&B is too present in this song to just put it as Gangsta Rap. The Riff is even stevie wonder. I think this should have two genres not just one.
In the article, it says that
"This song was also played in 2003 as a soundtrack to new coverages during the 2003 Invasion of Iraq, especially when featuring the Iraqi people, and their hardships."
. However, just above this is a reference to Ian Brown's F.E.A.R.
"The Ian Brown song "F.E.A.R." borrows the main riffs from "Gangsta's Paradise."
I was was wondering which song was played as a soundtrack during the news coverage of the invasion? Was it "Gangsta's Paradise" or was it "F.E.A.R."? A clarification would be nice. :)
220.127.116.11 22:42, 11 November 2006 (UTC)roket21
Song interpretation is POV
I think the following section is POV
Much of the lyrics are very tragic and are meant to be a criticism of the violence and tragedy of the "gangsta" life. The choral lines (sung by L.V.) Tell me why are we so blind to see / That the ones we hurt are you and me offer an especially plaintive self-criticism.
It might have another meaning and might not be meant to be taken literally. It could just as easily be a criticism of the greater part of society that produces "gangsta" life. The lines
Tell me why are we so blind to see / That the ones we hurt are you and me
This line might symbolize the way that gangstas are meant to feel by society. It represents the guilt felt by the gangsta. This is not self criticism because it is the same society that produces gang life that later goes onto to blame those who forced into it.
It might seem a little anti-intuitive, but song interpretation is very easy to screw up, and often times there may not really be any underlying meaning at all. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 18:43, 17 December 2006 (UTC).
- Any song interpretation is very likely to be biased depending on who is interpreting. A solution would be to offer several interpretations, but this would require care as there would be a tendancy to use weasel words e.g. some people say. Lemon Demon (talk) 16:11, 2 February 2008 (UTC)
Can anyone provide a translation into standard English for the following lyrics?
"I really hate to trip, but I gotta loc"
"I'm the kinda G that little homies wanna be like"
"Got my ten in my hand and a gleam in my eye"
"I'm a loced-out gangsta, set-trippin banger"
Unjedai 15:14, 4 June 2007 (UTC)
- The second and third are, respectively, "I'm the kind of gangster other people want to be" and "I've got my gun in my hand and a gleam in my eye". —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 22:01, 29 December 2007 (UTC)
Lads/Ladies - i feel strongly about the parodies section - basically its too long. Perhaps list the main ones like weird al yankovic. Thoughts —Preceding unsigned comment added by Kai360uk (talk • contribs) 11:11, 18 March 2010 (UTC)
Which Larry Sanders?
In the Single infobox under Writer(s) there is a link to County Councillor Larry Sanders. Shouldn't this be Larry "L.V." Sanders? —Preceding unsigned comment added by UdovdM (talk • contribs) 20:50, August 25, 2007 (UTC)
Fair use rationale for Image:Gangsta's Paradise.jpg
Image:Gangsta's Paradise.jpg is being used on this article. I notice the image page specifies that the image is being used under fair use but there is no explanation or rationale as to why its use in this Wikipedia article constitutes fair use. In addition to the boilerplate fair use template, you must also write out on the image description page a specific explanation or rationale for why using this image in each article is consistent with fair use.
Please go to the image description page and edit it to include a fair use rationale. Using one of the templates at Wikipedia:Fair use rationale guideline is an easy way to insure that your image is in compliance with Wikipedia policy, but remember that you must complete the template. Do not simply insert a blank template on an image page.
If there is other fair use media, consider checking that you have specified the fair use rationale on the other images used on this page. Note that any fair use images lacking such an explanation can be deleted one week after being tagged, as described on criteria for speedy deletion. If you have any questions please ask them at the Media copyright questions page. Thank you.
Theres a Korean ver. of this song. It should be listed on here. Anyone know the name of the artist?? 126.96.36.199 15:29, 11 May 2007 (UTC)
only know this cover http://www.lastfm.de/music/In%20Fear%20And%20Faith/_/Gangsta%27s%20Paradise —Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 19:24, 2 March 2009 (UTC)
Stevie Wonder's reaction
I seem to remember reading an article years ago which claimed Stevie Wonder was initially unhappy with the 'Gangsta' link. Later Coolio claimed once it had been explained their version was to try and point out the terrible waste from 'gang-banging' etc rather than glorifying violence Stevie Wonder approved of the song. I think this would be an interesting, relevant aspect to add but don't know the article (or how to do it). —Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 12:05, 2 November 2010 (UTC)
(?) Bruno Rosa Nascimento (?)
Who is this character? Is this a troll? I have not found anything on him besides this article and the copies of it. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Fsjs (talk • contribs) 21:09, 31 August 2012 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 9 external links on Gangsta's Paradise. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive http://www.webcitation.org/5hFf8iFDu?url=http://www.irishcharts.ie/search/placement to http://www.irishcharts.ie/search/placement
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20150803041226/http://www.aria.com.au:80/pages/aria-charts-end-of-year-charts-top-50-singles-1995.htm to http://www.aria.com.au/pages/aria-charts-end-of-year-charts-top-50-singles-1995.htm
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20140330022958/http://www.ultratop.be/nl/annual.asp?year=1995 to http://www.ultratop.be/nl/annual.asp?year=1995
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20140414112334/http://www.ultratop.be:80/fr/annual.asp?year=1995 to http://www.ultratop.be/fr/annual.asp?year=1995
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20120307201551/http://www.disqueenfrance.com/fr/monopage.xml?id=259376&year=1995 to http://www.disqueenfrance.com/fr/monopage.xml?id=259376&year=1995
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20090815124541/http://longboredsurfer.com:80/charts.php?year=1995 to http://longboredsurfer.com/charts.php?year=1995
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20141011135058/http://www.ultratop.be:80/nl/annual.asp?year=1996 to http://www.ultratop.be/nl/annual.asp?year=1996
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20141018211900/http://www.ultratop.be/fr/annual.asp?year=1996 to http://www.ultratop.be/fr/annual.asp?year=1996
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20131021195623/http://hitparade.ch/year.asp?key=1996 to http://hitparade.ch/year.asp?key=1996
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.