Talk:Gary L. Francione
|This page was nominated for deletion on 17 April 2016. The result of the discussion was keep.|
|This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons (BLP) policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to . If you are a subject of this article, or acting on behalf of one, and you need help, please see this help page.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
no archives yet (create)
|Threads older than 30 days may be archived by.|
This article is in desperate need of citations, and seems to present some information which is questionable, from my experience. For instance, is it clear that Peter Singer holds that there is no problem with killing nonhuman animals? He certainly places more emphasis on their suffering, and feels that that is a more readily defensible position, and so it is where he has tended to focus his efforts, but I haven't read anything which leads me to believe that he thinks that there's no reason to find the killing on nonhuman animals unethical.--James O'Callaghan 03:30, 28 February 2010 (UTC) —Preceding unsigned comment added by JDOCallaghan (talk • contribs)
Let us upgrade
AR vs. AL
The article uses Animal Rights as a header and then links to the main article for Animal Liberation. Is this inconsistant? What would Francione's position be on this? He has very different defintions of both of those terms. DaronDierkes (talk) 08:50, 3 May 2008 (UTC)
- Sorry, I just saw this, or I'd have responded sooner. We started off using animal liberation on WP, but then there was a consensus to change it to animal rights. If you see any inconsistencies, that's the reason. We use the terms interchangeably on WP. SlimVirgin talk|contribs 18:15, 25 June 2009 (UTC)
- Right, he urges them to abjure the consumption of dairy and other animal products. I think the text should be faithful to the source quoted. I think I will give it a try. Yogesh Khandke (talk) 14:33, 9 June 2012 (UTC)
After all Francione isn't a relevant person due to the ever so cuddly nonhuman companions he lives with, but due to the positions he proposes in academical discourse.--user:goiken 20:51, 16 June 2010 (UTC) —Preceding unsigned comment added by 0g1o2i3k4e5n6 (talk • contribs)
- Hi, there are three reasons. First, the image we use was released by the subject, and Wikipedia gives wide latitude to living persons to choose how they're visually represented on Wikipedia. Second, it's better quality than the proposed replacement. And third, although I assume the one you're proposing was taken in a public place, it's not clear that Francione knew he was being photographed, and he almost certainly didn't know that someone might add it to his WP biography. SlimVirgin (talk) 05:51, 10 June 2012 (UTC)
Supposing this image is supplied by Francione himself, it is a hypocritical and disingenous choice. How dare he pose with a dog while being the best known advocate of animal ownership abolition?! Wistungsten (talk) 02:02, 10 September 2012 (UTC)
We have the following in the article: "In his Introduction to Animal Rights: Your Child or the Dog? (2000), Francione argues that a theory of abolition should not require that animals have any cognitive characteristic beyond sentience to be full members of the moral community, entitled to the basic, pre-legal right not to be the property of humans." I was wondering whether the internal link to moral community is correct? Yogesh Khandke (talk) 03:53, 17 June 2012 (UTC)
There have been a number of criticisms of Gary Francione from just about every side of the animal rights movement, including the fact that he is considered by some a bit of a megalomaniac. I do not have the know how to add this to Wiki but this info is readily available--for example, the article "Why is Gary Francione slandering ecofeminists", information about his strange behavior towards the group TAVS, and general google searches of criticism of him. I at least ask that nobody delete this and that the conversation at least be taken seriously. Almost all animal rights and vegan philosophers on Wikipedia have a basic criticism section. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 14:12, 10 March 2015 (UTC)
If you have any more material that you want to be included in the "Criticism" section, please be specific with URLs and information you would like to add. You could add it directly, but if you can't, just post here with details and others can do it for you. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Amihuman (talk • contribs) 00:37, 21 May 2017 (UTC)
Note on AfD by now-blocked sock
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 3 external links on Gary L. Francione. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20090508021512/http://www.friendsofanimals.org:80/programs/animal-rights/interview-with-gary-francione.html to http://www.friendsofanimals.org/programs/animal-rights/interview-with-gary-francione.html
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/what-to-do-on-proposition-2/
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20100330193957/http://www.abolitionistapproach.com:80/fr/ to http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/fr/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.