Talk:Generation Kill (miniseries)
|WikiProject Television||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
Currently the only source for this section is a blog. We need to replace this source with something more reliable. If a journalist is reporting on this surely we can cite his work? I do not speak the language that the blog is written in so please could someone with more linguistic skill track down a better source. If we cannot improve the verifiability of this section it will have to be removed.--Opark 77 12:38, 9 November 2007 (UTC)
Not sure if this warrants inclusion, but "Shuffle Your Feet" from Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is featured in one of the commercials airing for this miniseries. 220.127.116.11 (talk) 03:01, 13 July 2008 (UTC)
The Epsiodes title shows up before the External Links and References, but the Episode content is listed below them. I've checked the page code and I can't see what is causing it to occur. 18.104.22.168 (talk) 08:49, 15 July 2008 (UTC)
- The table wasn't closed - someone deleted the "|}" at the bottom of the table. I've fixed it.--Opark 77 (talk) 11:34, 15 July 2008 (UTC)
I've worked throught the character guide on the HBO website and reformatted it into a wikitable for bravo company's second platoon. I'm struggling to place some of the remaining cast members who fall outside of this platoon. Any help would be appreciated. Heres a list to work from:
- Eric Kocher as Sergeant Barratt
- Jeffrey Carisalez as Corporal Smith
- Theo Landey as Sergeant Damon Fawcett
- Sean Brosnan as Corporal Daniel Redman
J. Salome Martinez as Corporal Jeffrey 'Dirty Earl' Carazales Owain Yeoman as Sergeant Eric Kocher
- I'd guess that most of these are in Captain America and Kocher's vehicles in third platoon as these are the guys who feature fairly heavily.--Opark 77 (talk) 01:03, 3 August 2008 (UTC)
- Isn't Captain America leader of third platoon, not first? that's where the HBO chart puts him. I don't know if there is a first platoon or if they just don't show it. Firch (talk) 02:54, 20 August 2008 (UTC)
- You mean like this?--Opark 77 (talk) 17:16, 20 August 2008 (UTC)
Wait, there's a real Captain named America? Perhaps you should mention that this in not a prank edit on the page, I was about 2 seconds from removing his mention when I went to read the talk to see the talk page to see if this had happened before. OH, FOr those who honestly don't know why that name woudl get that reacation, Captain America
- Why would anyone mention that it's not a prank edit on the page? The presumption should be that someone making edits to a page would at least have a passing familiarity with the subject matter. His name is not Captain America, it's a nickname. 22.214.171.124 (talk) 12:16, 20 June 2009 (UTC)
The list described above is a worthy addition to Wikipedia
Eventually, it was split out to a separate page, List of Generation Kill characters, where it remained for many years before User:Drovethrughosts unilaterally deleted it on the ground that any useful information it contained could be included in the main article. I accordingly pasted the tables into the main article, only to have them deleted once more by Drovethrughosts on the grounds that they cluttered up the article.
You can't have it both ways. I believe that these tables (which the users above invested significant effort into creating, by the way) add useful information that is worth having for anyone who is trying to follow the show in detail. It can be split out or it can be on this page, but unless I see a consensus beyond a single person supporting deletion, I don't concede that this should be deleted.
Drovethrughosts, how about you come up with a compromise that would satisfy you, rather than deleting these tables over and over? I understand your concern about clutter on this page, and I think that the old solution of a second page for the detailed tables was a good one. I don't really understand your objection to having a separate page. JudahH (talk) 22:50, 18 August 2017 (UTC)
- First of all, nothing is being deleted, it's been redirected, there is a difference. I'll refer to my comment here. By adding useful information, I meant taking any notable cast members who were maybe missing in that article and adding them here, not copying and pasting the entire article and dumping it here. Basically, the current way it is now, does not conform to basic WP:TV guidelines, it's littered with tables and minutia, when cast lists should generally be presented in a simple bulleted list format, which is easy to follow. If the only compromise is recreating the List of Generation Kill characters article and moving the content there again so this main article could be restored back to the previous, proper version, then we should just do that. Drovethrughosts (talk) 12:30, 19 August 2017 (UTC)
- Thanks. I've done that.
- In terms of your overall issue with the tables, I'm not sure what specific WP:TV guideline you have in mind, but in any case, granting that a bulleted list may be simpler and cleaner for a basic list of characters on a TV show in general, here in particular, where all the characters are related by a military hierarchy that significantly affects how they relate to each other, I found the tables very useful to help me follow the show. I'm just one person, of course, but I expect that others may find them useful for the same reason. After all, the original editors found it worth the effort to create them. If anyone else would like to weigh in on this, they're more than welcome.
- As for the concern about sourcing, I added references to the HBO and IMDb Cast & Character pages, which I believe cover the information presented on that page. If there are any further concerns about unsourced information on that page, they should be tagged specifically, as, at least for the most part, everything is covered on those pages. JudahH (talk) 09:12, 20 August 2017 (UTC)
at the end of Episode 7, they have that little bit with the movie. I put 'The Man Comes Around' in the music section, but I don't know if it should be there, 'cause the section says that it lists the songs they sing, not every song. Just thought I'd ask.126.96.36.199 (talk) 18:06, 25 August 2008 (UTC)
Is the music section really necessary? It takes up quite a large proportion of the article, though the use of music in the show hardly seems particularly notable.Liquidcow (talk) 20:44, 14 September 2008 (UTC)
- Yes, the series is running now in New Zealand, so I'm looking for reviews (to compare to my impressions), but still null here nearly two years after the above suggestion! -- Bricaniwi (talk) 23:40, 6 July 2010 (UTC)
No black Marines, really?
My nephew of enlistment age asked me to watch this show and I was pretty surprised to see a 99 percent white military. —Preceding unsigned comment added by [[Special:Contributions/151.205.116.] (talk) 13:51, 3 September 2008 (UTC)
I may be wrong.. it's hard to tell, but I thought there were black guys in this. Everone 'blends' very naturally in the show. But I think the part about "what is NJ"? Features at least one black face. Colour doesn't seem to stand out, which must be a good thing? Peter88
Does anyone know how long the episodes are? Are all episodes the same length? Perhaps this information might be included in the entry.