Talk:Gentle Giant Moving Company
|WikiProject Companies||(Rated Stub-class, Low-importance)|
|WikiProject United States / Massachusetts / Boston||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
Under construction just like my Geocities page from 1996, people!
To anyone reading this, I am still very much in the process of creating this page. I plan on working it on it over the next week or so, so please give a chance to appropriately create it, reference it, and cite it before you mark it for deletion. Thanks Skibum925 (talk) 20:44, 6 November 2008 (UTC)
- UKexpat's advice is sound. Every article on a company must establish that it meets criteria or is subject to deletion. One that only has links to two of its businesses, well that appears to only serve to advertise the company. Please do read the two policies he is linking to you. DENNIS BROWN (T) (C) 21:14, 6 November 2008 (UTC)
Gentle Giant is a good company to write an article about as they have won many awards on both the moving side of the business as well as its internal business practices. In 2007 they were featured in the Wall Street Journal's Winning Workplaces as a Top Small Workplace. You can view their winning workplace profile Here. They have also won Boston Magazine's Best of Boston Best Mover award Nine times. I will certainly provide plenty of references in my page. Should I not save anything until i'm finished writing it? Skibum925 (talk) 21:22, 6 November 2008 (UTC)
- Typically, you should always start an article with a few things: 1, a claim of notability (what makes it special?) and 2, at least two sources to show this notability, from reliable sources (newspapers, etc, never blogs). It may get deleted before you fix it, but that doesn't mean it can't be recreated *if* you do it right. The best Example is an article I started today on a company/organization, North Carolina Barbecue Society. Go look through the history and see the FIRST edit I did. ( here is a link to the FIRST version, note that it has 5 references and 2 links.) DENNIS BROWN (T) (C) 21:35, 6 November 2008 (UTC)
Still would be helpful with some references that were not the boston globe or their own website. I am still not sure of the criteria for notability being met, but staying open minded while it develops. Looks much better than a day ago. DENNIS BROWN (T) (C) 18:19, 7 November 2008 (UTC)
- I'm trying to learn more about citations, though I thought I was doing it correctly. Are you looking for just a more diverse selection of citations? I thought the section on the connection to rowing and the olympians that have gone through there was pretty significant. Any other suggestions for improvement? Skibum925 (talk) 18:30, 7 November 2008 (UTC)
- And you are doing well! The problem is that the company's own website is not a reliable source per WP:RS, so any references in third party publications, particularly reliable news organisations, would really help. Google news search can often be a useful tool. – ukexpat (talk) 18:37, 7 November 2008 (UTC)
Is it ok to cite archived articles where only the first paragraph or two is freely accessible, or does each citation have to reference a complete article? Skibum925 (talk) 19:50, 7 November 2008 (UTC)
- It is ok as long as you are confident of the content of the article, and not just guessing. In other words, if it is an interview with the owner, and you are claiming that they interviewed the owner, then sure. If you can only see enough of the article that tells you that the company is mentioned in passing (and is not the primary reason for the article) then I wouldn't. This is a WP:V reason. That it is behind a pay wall doesn't reduce the sources validity. It does reduce your ability to determine how good of a source it really is, however, so use with caution. DENNIS BROWN (T) (C) 20:04, 7 November 2008 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Gentle Giant Moving Company. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110711084518/http://www.gentlegiant.com/press/press20050708.php to http://www.gentlegiant.com/press/press20050708.php
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.