|WikiProject Astronomy||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
I have removed the following text from the article. It seems that it is not strictly true:
- This concept arises because the reflectivity of all surfaces, natural or man-made, depends on the angle of incidence as well as the azimuth of the incoming light beam (more generally electromagnetic radiation).
- Note that, strictly speaking, the geometric albedo is only defined
- for objects that are flat, at least on the spatial scale at which measurements are acquired (the angle of incidence is undefined or quite variable for non-flat objects), and
- for direct beam illumination (by definition diffuse illumination impinges on a surface from a variety of incidence angles).
A) The concept arises primarily because it is useful, I would say.
B) It's clearly defined quite well for non-flat objects since thet's where it's actually used Deuar 23:47, 30 June 2006 (UTC)
- In principle the problem for a non-flat object is that you don't know where exactly (at which distance from the light source) to place the flat disk; and strictly speaking maybe it shouldn't be flat, but cut out of a sphere centered at the light source. The article now states that the disk should have the "same cross-section"; if you mean - in the case of a perfect ball or sphere - a disk with the same diameter, then the disk will look smaller if it is placed at a distance so that the centers of the ball and the disk coincide. However, the differences in the albedo caused by this would be negligible for most astronomical purposes. Icek (talk) 21:41, 25 March 2011 (UTC)
The geometric albedo value for Venus should be around 0.65. see <url>http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/?planet_phys_par#B</url>[[User::Sigi_E|Sigi_E]] 16:18, 9 November 2009 (UTC+1) —Preceding unsigned comment added by Sigi E (talk • contribs)
Geometric albedo value for Venus changed from 0.84 to 0.65. [User::Sigi_E|Sigi_E]] 16:, 9 November 2009 (UTC+1) 25
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Geometric albedo. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20090413042346/http://jeff.medkeff.com/astro/lunar/obs_tech/albedo.htm to http://jeff.medkeff.com/astro/lunar/obs_tech/albedo.htm
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.