"A gigapixel image is a digital image bitmap composed of 230 (1,073,741,824) pixels"
I don't believe this latest revision is accurate. Unlike units of storage, in the world of pixels, things are not calculated in powers of 2.
So, whereas a megabyte and gigabyte are most commonly defined as 220 and 230 (or 1,048,576 and 1,073,741,824) bytes, respectively, megapixel and gigapixel are generally considered to indicate simply 106 and 109 (1,000,000 and 1,000,000,000) pixels.
As far as I'm aware, there's no necessary or compelling reason to bring powers of 2 into discussions of images, so why use a binary prefix? Why make it more complicated than it needs to be?
More than 1000 times
Article said a gigapixel is more than 1000 times a megapixel. This is incorrect. How is 1,000,000,000 more than 1000 * 1,000,000? It's exactly the same. Edited to reflect this. 22.214.171.124 (talk) 15:36, 16 May 2011 (UTC)
enWP is not a directory listing service, it is an encyclopaedia. Please re-add only those that should be listed as per Wikipedia:External links. I believe that some of the links here are also on the blacklist and attempts were made to circumvent the list. Probably not the wisest move. — billinghurst sDrewth 15:45, 23 December 2012 (UTC)
* [http://www.terapixel.eu Terapixel - 1012 Gigapixels - first Terapixel photo in the world] * [http://www.shanghai-272-gigapixels.com Shanghai - 272 Gigapixels] * [http://www.sevilla111.com Sevilla - 111 Gigapixels] * [http://www.gpix.at Gpix - Dozens of Gigapixel images from Austria - up to 88 Gigapixels] * [http://www.360cities.net/london-photo-en.html London - 80 Gigapixels] * [http://70gigapixel.cloudapp.net/ Budapest - 70 Gigapixels] * [http://www.gigapixeltour.com/Realisations/index.php Cannes- 65 Gigapixels - Gigapixel Tour (Guillaume Roumestan)] * [http://multimedia.odiaonline.net/cristo/cristo-gigapixel/index.html Rio de Janeiro] * [http://www.gigapixeltour.com/Realisations/index.php Nice- 52 Gigapixels - Gigapixel Tour (Guillaume Roumestan)] * [http://photoartkalmar.com/Photoart%20Kalmar%20high%20res/Gigapixel/Vienna%2050%20Gigapixel/Donauturm.html Vienna - 50 Gigapixel] * [http://www.gigapixel-marburg.de Marburg - 47 Gigapixels] * [http://gigapan.org/gigapans/48492/ Dubai - 45 Gigapixels] * [http://www.gigapixeltour.com/Realisations/index.php Saint-Raphaël- 41 Gigapixels - Gigapixel Tour (Guillaume Roumestan)] * [http://www.360cities.net/gigapixel/strahov-library.html Prague, indoor - 40 Gigapixels - Library in Strahov Monastery] * [http://www.paris-26-gigapixels.com Paris - 26 Gigapixels] * [http://www.dresden-26-gigapixels.com Dresden - 26 Gigapixels] * [http://www.gigapixeltour.com/Realisations/index.php Roquebrune Sur Argens - 22Gigapixels - Gigapixel Tour (Guillaume Roumestan)] * [http://www.gigapixeltour.com/Realisations/index.php Carriere des grands Caous- 20 Gigapixels - Gigapixel Tour (Guillaume Roumestan)] * [http://www.360cities.net/prague-18-gigapixels Prague - 18 Gigapixels] * [http://www.yosemite-17-gigapixels.com Yosemite National Park (U.S.A - Californie) - 17 Gigapixels] * [http://www.gigapixeltour.com/Realisations/index.php Megeve - 16 Gigapixels - Gigapixel Tour (Guillaume Roumestan)] * [http://www.sphericalimages.com/st-pauls-cathedral-gigapan/stpauls-giga-pan.html London, indoor - 15.5 Gigapixels - Cathedral Saint Paul] * [http://www.gigapixel.com/vancouver/van-giga12.html Vancouver - 12 Gigapixels] * [http://www.gigapixel.com/vancouver/van-city.html Vancouver Downtown - 10 Gigapixels] * [http://www.Miraflores-5-gigapixels.com Miraflores, Peru - 5 Gigapixels] * [http://gigasofia.com/ Sofia,Bulgaria - 3 Gigapixels] * [http://www.miraflores-5-gigapixels.com/Miraflores-5-Gigapixels.com/Huacachina.html The desert oasis of Huacachina, Peru - 2 Gigapixels] * [http://www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=17217 President Barack Obama's Inaugural Address, Washington - 1.5 Gigapixels] * [http://www.docbert.org/MP/ Machu Picchu - 1.5 Gigapixels] * [http://www.Feldkirch360.at Feldkirch360.at - Big 1,2 Gigapixel Project] * [http://www.gigapan.org/gigapans/66268 Mexico - 0.5 Gigapixels - El Evento 40 Bicentenario - Big crowd] * [http://www.360cities.net/image/skyline-san-francisco-coit-tower-gigapixel-panorama San Francisco (2008) - 0.5 Gigapixels] * [http://onemansblog.com/2008/04/04/gigapixel-photo-of-1906-san-francisco-earthquake-aftermath/ San Francisco after the earthquake of 1906 - 0.5 Gigapixels] * [http://www.gigapixel360.com GigaPixel360 - Everything Gigapixel] * [http://www.gigapixel.com/ Gigapixel Panorama Photography] * [http://www.gigapxl.org/ The Gigapxl Project] - A custom-built Gigapixel camera, by Graham Flint[http://www.computerpoweruser.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles%2Farchive%2Fc0506%2F26c06%2F26c06.asp][http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/colloquia/20050923.htm] * [http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/09/arts/design/09phot.html Tom Swift's New Camera, Ready for Space and Spies] - about Clifford Ross, in the New York Times December 9, 2004.[http://cliffordross.com/R1/gigapixel.html] * [http://www.querdenker-gigapixel.de/eng/index.php Querdenker Gigapixel] - Gigapixel images with a wide motive range, also multiviewpoint Gigapixel[http://www.querdenker-gigapixel.de/eng/Sonstiges-Multiviewpoint-Gigapixel.php]
Added a new section on terapixel, but this can easily take the place of the redirect. Should anyone think it be deleted altogether, just take a closer look here... — Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 06:55, 7 January 2014 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Gigapixel image. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20060414140451/http://www.gigapxl.org:80/project.htm to http://www.gigapxl.org/project.htm
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20140228060608/http://images2.aperio.com:80/BigTIFF/BreastCancer225.tif/view.apml? to http://images2.aperio.com/BigTIFF/BreastCancer225.tif/view.apml
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.