Talk:Grand Army of the Republic
|A fact from this article was featured on Wikipedia's Main Page in the On this day... section on April 6, 2004 and April 6, 2016.|
I think that the GAR and SUVCW should be together, as the two are really the same.evrik 20:55, 2 February 2006 (UTC)
- Disagree with merging the articles regarding the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) and the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW). Although related, the SUVCW is not the same as the GAR. The GAR was only open to Union veterans of the American Civil War. The SUVCW was established in 1881 by the GAR to encourage the next generation to carry on their work. Upon the death of the GAR's last member in 1956, the SUVCW became its legal heir and representative. However, that does not make the SUVCW and the GAR the same entity. The two organizations existed concurrently. While the GAR went out of existence in 1956, the SUVCW is still alive and well.
- Tad D. Campbell, Commander - Department of California and Pacific, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
- Disagree Keep them separate articles. Hal Jespersen 01:02, 8 February 2006 (UTC)
- The articles should be written to reflect this relationship. evrik 03:25, 8 February 2006 (UTC)
- Disagree Keep them separate, they are not the same for reasons Commander Campbell stated. Even historians often make the mistake of confusing the two as the same. They were not. Midnight12
- Disagree Keep them separate, as they represent two distinctly different eras, organizational goals, members, etc. Bart 05:06, 12 February 2006 (UTC)
Woman's Relief Corps
Does the section Other uses of GAR need to be here, seeing as how there is a link to the Star Wars entity by the same name at the top of the page? I am going to remove it. If someone objects, feel free to put it back. --22.214.171.124 05:06, 18 September 2005 (UTC)
- I removed the Star Wars link altogether. --evrik 12:29, 3 March 2006
- I just did it again. evrik 16:04, 10 April 2006 (UTC)
I'm just inquiring as to why you keep removing the disambiguation link from the top of the Grand Army of the Republic article. The reason I put it there is that there is a fictional organisation of the same name in the Star Wars universe (Grand Army of the Republic (Star Wars)), and people who type the name into the searchbox may be searching for the Star wars organisation and be completely unaware that a real-world group by the same name existed. Please reply on my talk page. -- Saberwyn 10:34, 11 April 2006 (UTC)
- While I can appreciate that the Grand Army of the Republic, exists, I don't think that including the link to the fictional group at the top of the GAR page is honorable to the memory to those who fought in the Civil War. I will add something back in at the bottom of the page as a compromise. evrik 14:01, 11 April 2006 (UTC)
- We are not here to honor anyone. We are here to provide information. Therefore, because people might type in "Grand Army of the Republic" looking for "Grand Army of the Republic (Star Wars", the dab link should be there. Jesuschex 23:16, 25 June 2006 (UTC)
- That's understandable, but from a navigational standpoint, disambiguation links to seperate subjects are usually handled by a line of italic text at the top of the page, while links to articles on a similar subject are kept in the See Also section. As far as I know, this is done to minimise confusion and frustration of users. Please read WP:DAB#Disambiguation_links for more information. -- Saberwyn 21:40, 11 April 2006 (UTC)
- I understanbd your point. However, I think that Grand Army of the Republic, is a nonentity. --evrik 22:27, 26 June 2006 (UTC)
- I just removed it again. --evrik (talk) 15:06, 25 October 2007 (UTC)
- Although disambiguation pages are helpful for articles with nearly the same name, that's not the case here. There is no "Grand Army of the Republic (Star Wars)" article. It just redirects to another, very general page. To make disambiguation pages for every remote mention of some fictional place or organization in novels or films would expand disambiguation pages to ridiculous size and number. — ★Parsa ☞ talk 19:45, 2 March 2012 (UTC)
Merger (Theodore Penland)
I have merged the articles as discussed above. It is rather a crude copy-and-paste merger; please feel free to clean up, copyedit, shorten, etc. as needed. --B. Wolterding 08:11, 20 July 2007 (UTC)
A "Grand Army" with an eagle... has anyone ever heard of Napoleon ? (see Grande Armée, French Imperial Eagle). The GAR was created in 1866, which means during Napoleon III's second French Empire. The GAR is an obvious reference to Napoleon's grande armée. The Big Donut (talk) 12:52, 16 August 2015 (UTC)
I have recently taken a photo of the Stephenson Memorial on a trip to washington D.C., using Sony DSLR-A700 and Minolta 70-210 lens and wish to change the photo of the Stephenson memorial. Yes, previously they said there are branches in the way, but it is on the side, and the blossoms add nice contrast to it. Kilo-echo-lima-victor-india-november (talk) 00:59, 29 March 2016 (UTC)
- As another user has said, there is no use for your picture, as the current one works just fine, maybe even better. Also, don't put new talk sections at the top of the page. The Verified Cactus 100% 19:45, 11 February 2017 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Grand Army of the Republic. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110303230635/http://www.stampscatalog.info/2008/10/us-stamps-1951.html to http://www.stampscatalog.info/2008/10/us-stamps-1951.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110510022845/http://www.songofamerica.net/cgi-bin/iowa/song/116.html to http://www.songofamerica.net/cgi-bin/iowa/song/116.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.