Talk:Grape and raisin toxicity in dogs

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Veterinary medicine (Rated B-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Veterinary medicine, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Veterinary medicine on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
B-Class article B  This article has been rated as B-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the project's importance scale.
 
WikiProject Dogs (Rated Start-class, High-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Dogs, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of articles related to Canidae and Dogs on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 High  This article has been rated as High-importance on the project's importance scale.
 
Note icon
A fact from this article appeared on Wikipedia's Main Page in the Did you know? column.

Only discovered recently?[edit]

Is it really true that this thing was only discovered in 1989? It seems strange to me that it took 4000 years of canine domestication for us to realise that dogs don't eat grapes. Borisblue 04:36, 17 February 2007 (UTC)

I don't know the answer to that. My opinion is that a toxin only became associated with grapes at that time, possibly a mycotoxin, a heavy metal, or a pesticide. I'm glad you asked, though, because I rechecked the source I got that year from and I realized that my other sources say that the APCC only noticed the trend in 1999. This makes sense because the first mention in the literature (in a letter to the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association) was in 2001. So I think that source is wrong. I'll change it. --Joelmills 04:53, 17 February 2007 (UTC)
Something is weird here. How is it possible that this was not known until 1999 for a species domesticated all over the world for thousands of years? And I could have sworn I remember seeing dogs being fed grapes with no ill effects. Is it grapes that are causing sickness in dogs — or is it some chemical added to grapes in recent years which is causing the sickness? —Lowellian (reply) 06:31, 18 December 2007 (UTC)
I don't think the answer to that is currently known. --Joelmills (talk) 16:45, 18 December 2007 (UTC)
I knew a rottweiler that loved grapes, died at 11 years old, was a lovely dog. Anyway, I recall feeding it grapes before (as did its owners on occasion) and not only did it *love* grapes, but it would sit there and carefully peel them with its teeth while holding them between its paws... then eat the peeled grape... this toxicity is bizarre to me. The lack of a definitive cause is weird... --68.196.104.31 (talk) 08:01, 28 November 2008 (UTC)
I will stop after reading this article, but I am very skeptical, because I, too, have had grape-eating dogs. My first one, a Welsh Terrier, ate grapes all the time and lived to be seventeen! Now I have a Cocker Spaniel, and he's eaten grapes plenty of times and never got sick once. Of course, neither ate very many, but they didn't eat very few, either. Just last month Casey ate all of the gross grapes off the bunch I was eating and he's been fine ever since. This news is shocking to me and difficult to believe. Is it well-sourced? Has it been disputed? —Preceding unsigned comment added by Chrisrus (talkcontribs) 00:53, 11 June 2009 (UTC)

This whole page is an urban myth that has been thoroughly debunked. See http://www.thedogplace.org/NUTRITION/Grapes-Poison-Dogs-09061.asp. Dogs will eat all sorts of questionable 'food' and if it disagrees with them they vomit. This should be deleted and not be reinstated. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 86.10.191.103 (talk) 15:15, 8 October 2012 (UTC)

Dog Neccessities[edit]

Is this page even really neccessary? There is an entire page about foods toxic to dogs (wether humans can consume it or not), and this page could simply be added in to that one. Geo 21:44, 19 March 2007 (UTC)

What page are you referring to? Do you mean the dangerous foods section in the dog health article? I think that there is enough information on this subject to warrant its own article. --Joelmills 23:23, 19 March 2007 (UTC)
This is a good and valuable article since it documents a relatively new finding in Canine health and toxicity issues. The subject is of significant and of concern to a wide audience. It covers issues not discussed or documented on lists of foods toxic to dogs or other animals. Let it stay.LiPollis (talk) 14:54, 28 December 2007 (UTC)

removed from article[edit]

Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM Danville Veterinary Clinic Danville , OH

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1 AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7 AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 & 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours. The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At that point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care. He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220 ... He continued to vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize. This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern. Onions, chocolate, cocoa, avocadoes and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too. Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.

--This is original research. Not eligible for inclusion in the main article. See WP:OR. MXocross (talk) 22:46 2013 June 29 (GMT)

Possible Avenue of Research[edit]

Has anyone checked the intestinal tract of the dog? It seems the grape skins could block fluid absorption causing rapid dehydration and kidney failure. After that occurs even an IV might not help. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 72.193.255.27 (talk) 02:37, 12 June 2014 (UTC)