Talk:Grosse Isle, Quebec
|WikiProject Canada / Geography||(Rated B-class, Mid-importance)|
||It is requested that a photograph of Grosse Isle be included in this article to improve its quality. Please replace this template with a more specific media request template where possible.
Wikipedians in Quebec may be able to help!
The Free Image Search Tool may be able to locate suitable images on Flickr and other web sites.
|It is requested that a map or maps be included in this article to improve its quality.
Wikipedians in Quebec may be able to help!
I haven't changed this back, but am not in agreement with Damac's alteration of 'famine victims' to 'Irish immigrants'. There can be no doubt whatsoever from a historical perspective that the immigrants of the time were fleeing the famine. Can't we revert this back to 'famine refugees'? 188.8.131.52 21:13, 1 December 2007 (UTC)
Songs about Gross Isle
Irish band Feenish have recorded a song called Gross Isle 'The Isle of Tears' composed by band member Don Stiffe. Speaks to the awful conditions experienced by the emigrees. Appears on their album 'Rabharta' meaning 'in full spate' in gaelic. album details at http://www.irishtune.info/album/Fns/ breandan18 Breandan18 (talk) 03:32, 4 February 2008 (UTC)
I'm looking at the main page of this article, Grosse Isle, Quebec at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grosse_Isle,_Quebec and I am a little confused.
At the beginning of the article, there is a statement "Not to be confused with Grosse-Île, Quebec, a municipality of the Magdalen Islands". However, there is a reference in the Box on the right, to NATIVE NAME Grosse Île. And the Canadian National Historic Sites also lists this as Grosse Île. The location is in the St Lawrence River where the Immigrants to Canada were quarantined between 1837 & 1937.
So why is the island named "Grosse Isle" in this article and explicitly differentiated from "Grosse Île" in the" Îles de la Madeleine"? It appears that according to the Canadian government, the name of both islands is IDENTICAL.
Adding an image to this page
I would like to suggest adding an image to this page. This is a Library and Archives Canada copyright free image, uploaded on Wikicommons : [File:Steamer Lake Champlain arriving at port, Québec, Oct. 1911 - Bateau à vapeur Lac Champlain arrivant au port, Québec, oct. 1911.jpg|thumb|Steamer Lake Champlain arriving at port, Québec, October 1911]
Do you think this is appropriate? I think it would add value to the page.
Sabrina (BiblioArchivesCanada-LibraryArchivesCanada) (talk) 19:20, 17 March 2016 (UTC)Sabrina
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 4 external links on Grosse Isle, Quebec. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20061127131345/http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/passengerlists/agnes1847.htm to http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/passengerlists/agnes1847.htm
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20060716154826/http://www.swan.ac.uk:80/history/teaching/teaching%20resources/An%20Gorta%20Mor/emigrationexperience/grosseisle.html to http://www.swan.ac.uk/history/teaching/teaching%20resources/An%20Gorta%20Mor/emigrationexperience/grosseisle.html
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20100307044018/http://www.strokestownpark.ie:80/museum.html to http://www.strokestownpark.ie/museum.html
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20110316051050/http://www.doukhobor.org:80/Gross-Isle.htm to http://www.doukhobor.org/Gross-Isle.htm
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.