|WikiProject UK geography||(Rated B-class, Low-importance)|
|WikiProject Yorkshire||(Rated C-class, High-importance)|
Etymology section removed
I didn't feel the following passage, which was recently added by User:Keeno was appropriate or constructive, so I stuck it in here in case others disagree:
Three 18:15, 20 August 2005 (UTC)
I went to the article to see why some spellings are Gisborough (Abbey, School and Hall) and others Guisborough. Though I agree that the derivation of "borough" is a bit unnecessary, an explanation of the name and the different names would be interesting. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 19:12, 27 December 2009 (UTC)
For the village in Northamptonshire, see Guilsborough.
Why does the article need a line saying "For the village in Northamptonshire, see Guilsborough"? It's not a true disambiguation: they just do not have the same name. Why confuse things and seem to give undue prominence to the wrong place? 126.96.36.199 (talk) 18:07, 6 May 2008 (UTC)
Askham Bryan College of Agriculture
Around the end of the education section it seems to become a bit unsure of itself on PPC and Askham Bryan - merger, sites, etc. Does anyone know what the current situation is and whether the article is accurate? DisillusionedBitterAndKnackered (talk) 09:07, 13 July 2008 (UTC)
Twinning with the fictitious French town/village/city of 'Les Ormes'
I can't find any evidence for this at all. It is quoted on a few sites which have obviously taken the information from this Wikipedia page. Redcar and Cleveland is twinned with Troisdorf in Germany. Guisborough's Prior Pursglove College is certainly involved in German exchanges. To have anothe programme just for Guisborough is quite unlikely.
I say we remove "Guisborough is twinned with Les Ormes, France". What say you?
- I agree. In fact Les Ormes is not actually fictitious per se - see Ormes and in particular Les Ormes, Vienne and Les Ormes, Yonne. I also wouldn't dismiss out of hand the possibility of multiple twinnings even for a place of this size. You should see the list for where I live! :) However, the IP who seems to have added it 2+ years ago didn't give us anything else to go on and doesn't have a long history of involvement with the article. Furthermore, looking from the other end, on fr.wikipedia and Google, for evidence of a French twinning link back to Guisborough hasn't turned up anything and I really would have thought it should if the twinning were real. The statement needs removed - and indeed I have done so: if then good evidence can be found that it's real, then that's great, but the burden of proof lies with someone who'd like to add it, not with those who are sceptical about it. Best wishes DBaK (talk) 11:23, 23 January 2011 (UTC)
The article could do with some indication of how Guisborough is pronounced. I see from the history that an apparently incorrect sound file was recently removed. Can someone advise how it should be pronounced? Jellyman (talk) 15:39, 20 January 2016 (UTC)
- I've had another bash. The one the IP removed was indeed wrong, with "ui" in the first syllable made into an elongated e like in "freeze"; it should be short like in pip or wick.. The new one is much more correct, though equally I'm sure there's plenty there to get people annoyed!:) Hope this helps. Best wishes DBaK (talk) 16:28, 20 January 2016 (UTC)
- Great, thank you! That's how I thought it was pronounced, but – not being local – I wasn't exactly sure. Speedy work, cheers. Jellyman (talk) 16:58, 20 January 2016 (UTC)
The comment(s) below were originally left at several discussions in past years, these subpages are now deprecated. The comments may be irrelevant or outdated; if so, please feel free to remove this section., and are posted here for posterity. Following
Last edited at 11:03, 26 July 2007 (UTC). Substituted at 16:50, 29 April 2016 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Guisborough. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20080224220800/http://www.askham-bryan.ac.uk/about_the_college/centres/guisborough_centre to http://www.askham-bryan.ac.uk/about_the_college/centres/guisborough_centre
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.