Does anyon know the origin of the game Hangman? It's such a morbid notion for a game that I wonder where it comes from.
Don't know jim, I have done more than a few google searches on the term myself. If I ever find an answer, I'll update here as well as email you. If you get an answer, please update the page.GameMan
Would appreciate any thoughts from others as to whether links to a few examples of online hangman games would be appropriate here. My personal feeling is that they would be. I believe the history of the page shows it is unlikely this would become a "link farm", as long as the links were kept relevant.
Another editor has disagreed, and suggested I ask for feedback here. All constructive comments are welcome.GameMan
After further discussion with the other editor, we have agreed a limited number of links to examples of the game would not present a problem on this page.GameMan
- I had to remove these hangman links because they all lead to Google Adsense linkfarms. If we can find a hangman game with no ads, I would accept that but ideally, I don't think this article needs any links. Monkeyman(talk) 13:13, 10 March 2006 (UTC)
I removed the link to the WP game, and now it's been restored. Why is this in the article, which may be mirrored on other sites? We generally avoid self-references and links to the projectspace from articles for just this reason, do we not? -- nae'blis (talk) 18:10, 14 March 2006 (UTC)
I recently added a link to my GWT implementation of Hangman on this page. This was based on the above comments which seemed to imply that a limited set of links to example implementations would be acceptable. However, an editor removed my link. I think it would be helpful to readers to be able to play a sample version, to get a feel for the game. Does Wikipedia disallow this? If so, why? Thanks. --Markroth8 11:48, 3 November 2007 (UTC)
- Mark Roth's implementation does not work in my IE7.0, perhaps that's why it was removed.
- I don't know the WP game mentioned above, but while I think avoiding self-references is often a good idea, wikipedia links should be no less acceptable than links to any other site. If it is to work in the mirrors, maybe it should be written as an external link, though.--Niels Ø (noe) 13:06, 3 November 2007 (UTC)
"Other alternative is (making the game a bit easier) to give a word definition on the actual or on different language, allowing to use the game for language learning." This sentence makes no sense. I'm rewriting it, but probably losing information in the process. If anyone can fix it better, please do so. ----— Preceding unsigned comment added by Nmichaels (talk • contribs) 14:28, 15 June 2011
I am sure I once read that the order of frequency of the nine most common letters in English goes like this:
This is different to what the article says. I am aware that there are disputes about letter frequency, if no one disputes that E, T and A are the three most common letters in English. ACEOREVIVED (talk) 23:45, 13 July 2011 (UTC)
There must be some variations on this game. For example, I have always played where if one player guesses a letter, all examples of that letter must be inserted, but this is not the case in some versions. Any one who knows of other variations is welcome to insert them. ACEOREVIVED (talk) 08:23, 15 July 2011 (UTC)
Hangman video games
- Mystery Word - a game for Speak & Spell console (1978)
- TickleTux Hangman - http://sourceforge.net/projects/tickletux/
- Hangman for DOS/Linux - http://sourceforge.net/projects/hangit/
- hangman - console based hangman - http://sourceforge.net/projects/hangman/
- hangman2 - http://sourceforge.net/projects/hangman2/
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Hangman (game). Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20101225154041/http://www.japanprobe.com/2010/07/23/foreign-english-teacher-under-attack-for-playing-hangman-game/ to http://www.japanprobe.com/2010/07/23/foreign-english-teacher-under-attack-for-playing-hangman-game/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.