Talk:History of Tennessee
|WikiProject Tennessee||(Rated B-class, Top-importance)|
==Need Antebellum History==-
History jumps from admission of the state to the Civil War. It needs a section about the antebellum years, when state population increased markedly, and the three divisions: Eastern, Middle and Delta Tennessee, took on their defining characteristics related to geography, agriculture and populations. The differing nature of the populations and agriculture in each section helps explain their initial votes on secession on the verge of the Civil War. --Parkwells 22:39, 25 October 2007 (UTC)
It would be useful to have data on slaveholding, and how numbers of enslaved African Americans, and their part of the population related to total population, changed from 1820, say, to 1860. The University of VA has its Historical Census Browser online which allows free analysis within and across censuses, by state and county, to facilitate such analyses.
More should be added about Reconstruction and its aftermath, including Jim Crow laws and disfranchisement of African Americans by the turn of the century, as there is little information to show why the later Civil Rights movement was needed.
MUSIC - Also, since there is a section on country-western music, there should also be one on jazz and blues, especially because of the great African American musicians of Memphis' Beale Street.--Parkwells 00:28, 12 October 2007 (UTC)--Parkwells 22:36, 25 October 2007 (UTC)
By having such limited coverage of what happened during Reconstruction, there is a problem with POV. Quoting one newspaper does not give a balanced account of what actually happened. That is more likely to be found in W.E.B. Du Bois and Eric Foner's histories of Reconstruction.--Parkwells 04:14, 26 October 2007 (UTC)
Reconstruction should have a separate section, as it occurred after the official end of the Civil WAr. I will move all of the section.--Parkwells 16:36, 31 October 2007 (UTC)
- This is worth discussing. I think that the fact that the Klan formed in Tennessee is a noteworthy piece of trivia (that's why it's one of the anniversaries listed on Portal:Tennessee/Selected anniversaries), but its formation is not necessarily an important item in the context of the history of the state. --Orlady (talk) 21:34, 27 May 2010 (UTC)
- The key omission in the Reconstruction section is mention of Governor Brownlow and his anti-Confederate policies. The Klan, which was created largely out of opposition to these policies, fits more into that context. FWIW, I've blurbed the Klan's creation in the lede of the main Tennessee article. Bms4880 (talk) 22:04, 27 May 2010 (UTC)
Timeline of Tennessee
- Benson John Lossing, ed. (1905). "United States: Tennessee (chronology)". Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History. 9. Harper & Bros. – via HathiTrust.
- Federal Writers' Project (1939), "Chronology", Tennessee: a Guide to the State, American Guide Series, New York: Viking – via HathiTrust
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on History of Tennessee. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20120702205050/http://mcclungmuseum.utk.edu/permanent/native/index.shtml to http://mcclungmuseum.utk.edu/permanent/native/index.shtml
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070630145820/http://www.east-tennessee-history.org/ to http://www.east-tennessee-history.org/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.