|WikiProject Linguistics||(Rated Start-class)|
Old Norse eigir
Was there really an Old Norse plural form of egg? The article uses eigir, but as far as I know, the Old Norse word was egg (singular AND plural). I heard that most Old Norse words are the same in singular and plural. The other follow this pattern: auga - augu, hjarta - hjǫrtu, eyra - eyru. The combination egg - eigir does not fit in any of these patterns. 220.127.116.11 (talk) 00:38, 16 May 2010 (UTC)
- I'm inclined to agree with you here. So far as I remembered egg is a neuter -ja stem, and wiktionary seems to bear this out. The nom.pl. therefore should be identical to nom.sg. There is another word egg, meaning 'edge' which is a feminine -jo stem. This would of course have a different plural, but still not the form given in the article Arkitype (talk) 08:40, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
- On closer inspection, I think I see the solution. The form listed is in fact an OHG one and not, as we suspected, an ON one. As an OHG iz/az stem, the form is a perfectly correct nom.pl. I will make the relevant changes now. It may also be worthwhile attempting to find a better source for the forms and reconstruction than the somewhat clumsy and outdated database lookup from Pokorny's occasionally clumsy and outdated dictionary.Arkitype (talk) 13:31, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Holtzmann's law. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110809064309/http://www.indoeuropean.nl/cgi-bin/startq.cgi?flags=endnnnl&root=leiden&basename=%5Cdata%5Cie%5Cpokorny to http://www.indoeuropean.nl/cgi-bin/startq.cgi?flags=endnnnl&root=leiden&basename=%5Cdata%5Cie%5Cpokorny
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.