Talk:Hose clamp

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
WikiProject Engineering (Rated Start-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject iconThis article is within the scope of WikiProject Engineering, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of engineering on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the project's importance scale.

Ok, I'm sick of writing about hose clamps. :)

This article needs pictures to help explain the different clamp types, and probably needs a lot more added to it. External links to common suppliers might be good. more internal links. etc. etc. etc.

And looking now, I can't find articles for push-fit fittings, which are something that really should be in here, as they're widely used in pneumatics... bah, another day. One hose attachment article is enough for an evening!

--Bushytails 05:48, 24 Jan 2005 (UTC)


Hrmm, it still feels like a stub to me... But, seeing as someone removed the stub template, guess not. Oh well. I like the reformatting at least. :) --Bushytails 07:26, 24 Jan 2005 (UTC)

I like your idea of a "stub" (anything under 1 to 2 thousand words feels stubbish to me), but we're outvoted: "A stub is a very short article, generally of one paragraph or less" :) 10:32, 26 Jan 2005 (UTC)
I think we need to be very flexible (and sensible) about defining a stub. With some subjects there is much more to be said than with others. :-) (RJP 10:07, 5 September 2005 (UTC))

Copyediting good![edit]

Glad it's getting some editing... I had (and still have) the flu when writing that, and my energy for fixing typos in hose clamps was pretty much near zero.

And, that's why I like wikipedia. :)

--Bushytails 17:49, 26 Jan 2005 (UTC)

Jubilee Clips[edit]

Just found this article (thanks to the front-page link), and was surprised that the term 'Jubilee Clip' didn't enter into it at all - as far as I know, that's the widely accepted name for the screw-type.

I've made a minor edit to reflect this, but I was wondering if there's any need for a separate article about Jubilee Clips. For reference, here's the website of the company that first marketed them : L. Robinson & Company There's a decent enough "history of" section, if anyone's interested.

AndrewH 09:57, 27 Jan 2005 (UTC)

I've never heard the term... Around here they're just generic "hose clamps." Then again, I'm a mechanic, not a plumber, so could well be I just missed that. :) --Bushytails 18:45, 27 Jan 2005 (UTC)

They're regularly called "Jubilee Clips" in the UK. In fact I had to do a search to get to the Hose Clamp page as I couldn't find a Wiki page for 'Jubilee Clip'. Maybe a redirect / alias for 'Jubilee Clip' would be useful? -- JonRB 16:49, 20 May 2006 (UTC)

The article's statement that the term Jubilee Clip is used across the Commonwealth, is not really applicable to Australia, where 'Hose clamp' is the common term now - that why I had to do a wikipdeia search for 'jubilee clip'. — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 01:37, 3 May 2012 (UTC)

"Jubilee clip" is so widespread in the UK that it could be considered a genericized trademark. 16:25, 16 April 2007 (UTC)

Although "Jubille Clip" is the common term for a worm screw clamp in Britain, much as "Band-Aid" is a common term in the USA for an adhesive bandage, in the USA these clamps are generically known as "Worm Gear" clamps.--CouplingMaster (talk) 16:49, 1 June 2009 (UTC)


From the context, I imagine that this is what I would call a spigot. That is a cylindrical end to a fitting or component designed to fit inside another fitting or pipe for a joint to be made, perhaps by welding, perhaps by soldering, perhaps with a jub clip. Where greater pressures will be encountered, a flanged joint would be used. If we are agreed that a barb is a spigot, then we can add a note to make that clear. This use of the word spigot is distinct from that in barrel technology. (RJP 10:07, 5 September 2005 (UTC))

The barb, in this context, is an often ridged area, often consisting of the sweep of a sawtooth shape, that the hose is slid over and clamped to. Some examples can be found at this page, this page, this page, and lots of other pages. Is there another term for this part? Bushytails 17:11, 5 September 2005 (UTC)
Before this little bit of education, the best name I would have known would be spigot but it is a field in which I am not fully at home. When I get the chance, I'll ask someone local who is, to see how far this is a geographical thing. (RJP 21:34, 5 September 2005 (UTC))

A spigot is the faucet valve, as for discharging water outside your house, or beer at the local pub.

In the context of hose, a "Barb" or "Barbed Shank" is a a type of hose shank (hose stem) generally consisting of multiple uniform sloped sections with peaks designed to engage the inner surface of the hose once the hose is clamped or otherwise attached to the hose. The material that distorts in front of the barbs is what helps retain the hose shank in the hose.--CouplingMaster (talk) 17:02, 1 June 2009 (UTC)

CLIC clamps[edit]

Sorry to nitpick as the article _is_ a good one, surely better than anything in the Brittanica. However, it does appear that the CLIC clamp section has been lifted from promotional literature. After all, if we are to mention all types of clamp, then steel ribbon and separate clip systems (for instance the French 'Ligarex' (as used by Citroen at times)) and a multitude of others might be considered. If, on the other hand, we are only to mention the basic types, Wikipedia should not include a list of advantages of a particular brand. What is the Wikipedia policy on this? - Riccardo, Essex, U.K. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by (talkcontribs) 13:03, August 15, 2006 (UTC)

If it's lifeted from promotional literature without permission, then it is a Copyright violation and should be immediately removed. In any case, Wikipedia is not a place to sing the praises of any particular brand or type, and like you say, other proprietary types should be included. You seem to know quite a bit about clamps, so using Wikipedia's basic policy of Neutral point of view, go ahead and fix the article. Luigizanasi 19:14, 17 August 2006 (UTC)


I've done several modifications including removing CAILLAU and JUBILEE links in the page. I hope that somebody will add some hose clamps descriptions.

Valinor4 13:15, 16 February 2007 (UTC)

Merge from Jubilee Clip?[edit]

Jubilee Clip and Hose clamp are two articles about the same thing. One is focused on a specific company's product and its genericized trademark, the other on the generic name. But (terminology and UK/US regional usage aside), aren't they the same thing? Or at most one is a not-independently-notable example of the other? Seems ripe to merge and redirect rather than having info scattered across two separate articles, neither of which is particularly long or well-referenced. DMacks (talk) 17:03, 21 May 2010 (UTC)

While we're about it, lets merge Coca cola and cola-drinks too.
Hose clamps cover many forms, not just worm-drive. Jubilee are notable as the originators, the source of the genericized name and as the only brand with any name recognition. The article also covers some of the history of the company itself, which would be WP:UNDUE in a general article on hose clamps. Andy Dingley (talk) 22:08, 6 June 2010 (UTC)

I'm not sure it is really a genericised name. In the USA they are not known as Jubilee clips because they aren't, in the UK, and perhaps other markets, the Jubilee brand has a dominant possition, so they are referred to by the brand name. I think that the Coca Cola analogy is strong, I doubt many would argue that Coca Cola and Pepsi should be covered by a single entry. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 13:57, 31 December 2010 (UTC)

I think these articles would mesh very well together if merged. We wouldn't lose any of the information on the history. In fact, it would make it accessible to readers no matter whether they look up 'Hose clamp' or Jubilee Clip'. -Bonus Onus (talk) 00:00, 18 January 2011 (UTC)

If you're going to merge Jubilee Clip into this entry , then marman clamp should also be merged in. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Cjmillsnun (talkcontribs) 23:49, 25 October 2011 (UTC)

I say keep the articles separate. The Jubilee Clip one gives the company history of the originators of this type, and here any hose clip is called Jubilee (but not on the packaging, of course). Peridon (talk) 23:29, 7 January 2012 (UTC)

Google search for "jubilee clip" yields first two results being wikipedia pages for 'jubilee clip' and 'hose clamp'. These are the same thing. The history in the jubilee clip article is fascinating but could be abridged and easily merged. Somebody should probably just add the info there into this article, then jubilee clip (and marman too) can be deleted and redirected. Mphilips (talk) 07:56, 14 December 2012 (UTC)

It is proposed to MERGE the Jubilee clip article into this one. Truthanado (talk) 00:47, 23 March 2013 (UTC)

  • Oppose, as previously rejected above:
  • Jubilee clips are a specific and notable pioneering brand, which has given rise to a genericised trademark.
  • Hose clips are of many types, not just worm-drive band clips, as for the Jubilee type.
Nor is being a non-US product (yet) a barrier to independent notability. Andy Dingley (talk) 02:32, 23 March 2013 (UTC)

Hose Clamp Specifications[edit]

I've added a section to the main page that cites some specifications for hose clamps of various types. The specifications I've listed are very US-centric, so please feel free to add additional specifications from other countries. Bosef1 (talk) 00:24, 22 December 2014 (UTC)