|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Hurricane Emmy article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|Hurricane Emmy has been listed as one of the Natural sciences good articles under the good article criteria. If you can improve it further, please do so. If it no longer meets these criteria, you can reassess it.|
|Current status: Good article|
|WikiProject Tropical cyclones / Storms / Atlantic||(Rated GA-class, Low-importance)|
GA on hold
A few minor things that need to be addressed before I believe the article can be promoted to GA:
- Shorten the lead section. WP:LEAD states that an article under 15,000 characters (this article only has 5,000 or so) should only have a lead section of two paragraphs or so. While the lead section to this article technically has two paragraphs, the first paragraph contains too much information, specifically the part about the hurricane's path. All of the necessary information about the hurricane's path is talked about in the "Storm history" section. All you really need to say about the hurricane's path in the lead section of the article is that Emmy developed from a tropical wave on August 20 to the east of the Lesser Antilles and gradually gained strength, etc. (basically summarize the hurricane's flight path even more than it already is).
- There are too many uses of the Hurricane's full name when simply "Emmy" or "the hurricane" would suffice. Sometimes it is necessary to use the full name to avoid confusion, I know, but for example, "A strong ridge over the north Atlantic Ocean turned Hurricane Emmy sharply eastward on August 29" should just be "A strong ridge over the north Atlantic Ocean turned Emmy sharply eastward on August 29".
- Provide a citation stating that a change in the list of tropical cyclone names occured in 1979.
- Reference number 1, which is a GIF image, should have a "format" parameter in the citation code (see Template:Cite web) which says "GIF".
I will make any further comments after all of the above suggestions have been implemented. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a shout here or on my talk page. Happy editing, Green451 02:49, 12 December 2006 (UTC)
(Edit conflict) Two more reference-related things:
- Reference number 2, which is a PDF, also needs a format paramater which says "PDF"
- References 3 through 8 as well as 10 are, as far as I can tell, from a site that requires the user to register before they can view the content. Because of this, it would be nice if you could put "(registration required)" after the title of the page. Green451 03:04, 12 December 2006 (UTC)
Just one more thing:
- The new reference (number 12) is in TXT format, and should have a format parameter which says "TXT" (you knew that was coming... ;) ) Green451 03:09, 12 December 2006 (UTC)
Promoted to GA
That was fast. I have never seen an article go from nothing to GA that fast, but from looking at your other contributions, I see that that's a regular occurence with you. Sit back and relax, or maybe you'll start working on another fifty hurricane articles. Cheers, Green451 03:18, 12 December 2006 (UTC)
- Heh, given that I have a long break coming up, the latter is probably going to happen. Thanks for assessing it. Hurricanehink (talk) 03:34, 12 December 2006 (UTC)
GA Sweeps Review: Pass
As part of the WikiProject Good Articles, we're doing sweeps to go over all of the current GAs and see if they still meet the GA criteria. I'm specifically going over all of the "Meteorology and atmospheric sciences" articles. I believe the article currently meets the criteria and should remain listed as a Good article. I have made several minor corrections throughout the article. Altogether the article is well-written and is still in great shape after its passing in 2006. Continue to improve the article making sure all new information is properly sourced and neutral. It would also be beneficial to go through the article and update all of the access dates of the inline citations and fix any dead links. If you have any questions, let me know on my talk page and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I have updated the article history to reflect this review. Happy editing! --Nehrams2020 (talk) 03:17, 15 May 2008 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Hurricane Emmy. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070323011438/http://svsm.org/articles/C130iquitosexpress/C130iquitosexpress.html to http://www.svsm.org/articles/C130iquitosexpress/C130iquitosexpress.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.