Talk:Islam in Ethiopia
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
I removed a section that had some serious POV issues. It was clearly written from a Muslim perspective, which is not neutral. It also contained original research in regard to what the Koran does or doesn't say. It also had irrelevent information about the Muslim world as a whole (and also didn't cite sources for that). MezzoMezzo 21:40, 26 March 2007 (UTC)
Pre-Islamic Patterns, etc.
Between me and an anonymous user there have been a number of back-and-forth edits in the past few days. My concern is that some mention of pre-Islamic patterns should remain in the article. (Without this, it doesn't seem like there's as much to distinguish Islam in Ethiopia from that in other countries). When I have time I can consult one of the sources I have on hand and expand this information. Also: if "Mecca," "Sheikh," and "Hussein" are the common English spellings (and this being, after all, the English Wikipedia), then those are probably the ones we should use in the article. -- Gyrofrog (talk) 19:32, 24 November 2005 (UTC)
- There's actually a lot to distinguish Islam in Ethiopia from other countries, but, as it stands now, the article could really use some expanding, so there's no need to remove the part about pre-Islamic patterns.
- Yom 02:40, 29 March 2006 (UTC)
The article says that most Ethiopian Muslims are Sunni, yet the last paragraph talks as if Ethiopians are Sufi. Does this mean that one can be a Sunni and also Sufi or is there a contradiction in the article? — J M Rice 15:56, 29 October 2006 (UTC)
Largest Religion in Ethiopia?
There have been recent back and forth editing concerning which is the largest religion in Ethiopia- Christianity or Islam? The Islamic claim cites the cia factbook and the state department for support- so why not keep this claim?
- There was a discussion about this over at Talk:Ethiopia. The CIA data is rather unreliable in this regard. It hasn't changed in many years despite the release of new census data during that time (and it's ethnic data is also unreliable, made evident by its naming of false ethnic groups with far off numbers). — ዮም | (Yom) | Talk • contribs • Ethiopia 05:38, 29 December 2006 (UTC)
The claim that Islam is the largest religion in Ethiopia should not be deleted, even if the editors feel true about their claim that the commonly cited sources, that of the United States state department and the CIA, are inaccurate. Why not just have both claims with both sources stay on this article and let the readers decide for themselves from all the information available, just like on the Ethiopia article?
Religion and the CIA Factbook
I understand there is disagreement ... BUT it is one thing to dispute the facts in the reference, but quite another thing to leave the reference in place for the CIA Factbook AND change the statistics. I have reverted the most recent set of edits that did that. DON'T do that. Proofreader77 (talk) 03:20, 22 December 2008 (UTC)
Some text was deleted due to PoV and/or other quality issues, but it did contain a mention of Sheikh Hussein (sp?). As of this writing there is no separate article on the subject. A book I have, African Ark, presents it in such a way that it would seem to distinguish Islam in Ethiopia from that of other countries. (Whether the pilgrimage to Sheikh Hussein's tomb are othodox or heterodox, I won't attempt to answer, nor would I wish to do so.) -- Gyrofrog (talk) 21:43, 26 March 2007 (UTC)
- In fact, pilgrimages to tombs of local saints is very common among, especially rural, Islam in Ethiopia. I could provide some sources when I find the time. Driss 14:57, 27 March 2007 (UTC)
- The pilgrimage to the tomb of Sheik Hussein has been docuemnted as an important event for many Muslim Ethiopians. No article has yet been written for this saint because no one has come forth with enough information to write more than a brief, unsatisfying stub. (I only know that he lived in the century before Imam Ahmad Gragn's jihad, & lived in what is now the Bale Zone. What he did -- besides converting at least some of the inhabitants -- I cannot say.) Anyone want to tackle this challenge? -- llywrch 18:35, 29 March 2007 (UTC)
Moved comment from article
but the US State department has contradictory figures, putting Islam as being about equal or a slight majority, so a need for review of the figures might be needed (Sunnis Islam=45%-50%, Orthodoxy= 40%, Protestant 5% and the rest traditional). —Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk • contribs) 15:26, 22 October 2007
why did you remove it you arent even a member!! just tell me why did you remove it althought it exists in wikipedia it self in ethiopia religion page!!! and by the way in most reliable statistics show that muslims percentage in ethiopia may reach to 65% of the total population althought orthodox christianity still the state religion!! so even the percentage of 45% to 50% is underestimated!! Spike 25 16:18, 22 October 2007 (UTC)
- It should not have anything to do with being a member; instead it should have everything to do with citing a reliable source. If you can provide the source, then please cite it in the article (and, as the person adding the information, the onus is on you to do so). Thanks. -- Gyrofrog (talk) 16:40, 22 October 2007 (UTC)
Who is the mufti, who is the iman, where is this info, it is very poor in content, what about Eid, what about the new intergration of Eid into the ETV network or the great religious dialogues which go on in Ethiopia? —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 23:38, 20 March 2008 (UTC)
- If you click the 'edit this page' button at the top, you can add this information yourself. Sharveet (talk) 12:18, 26 December 2008 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Islam in Ethiopia. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20160210140200/http://www.csa.gov.et/newcsaweb/images/documents/surveys/Population%20and%20Housing%20census/ETH-pop-2007/survey0/data/Doc/Reports/National_Statistical.pdf to http://www.csa.gov.et/newcsaweb/images/documents/surveys/Population%20and%20Housing%20census/ETH-pop-2007/survey0/data/Doc/Reports/National_Statistical.pdf
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.