|WikiProject Fashion||(Rated Start-class, Top-importance)|
Not all jackets are coats. It's true that in the United States, the more formal clothing known as jacket has all but died out, but in other English-speaking countries, one of the meanings of jacket is still, for lack of a better term, losave in German. This is /not/ a coat. laddiebuck 22:33, 12 October 2006 (UTC)
I agree! i have completely different wardrobes for my coats and my jackets!! Keep them seperate
Don't merge --Bushido Brown 22:38, 26 November 2006 (UTC)
All jackets are coats, but not all coats are jackets. Check it in the dictionary, or any reliable book on clothes. It is worth having a separate page though.—Kan8eDie (talk) 20:46, 14 October 2008 (UTC)
- Do NOT merge. Jackets are not coats in British usage. See Talk:Coat_(clothing)#British_usage
It would help alot if the images of different jackets could have some information telling us which type of jackets they are. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 22:03, 4 September 2009 (UTC)
Is the audience for Wikipedia now aliens? How many english speakers on the planet learn how to read before they learn what a jacket is? —Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 01:49, 24 June 2010 (UTC)
Inconsistencies with the "coat" article
This article contains some statements that contradict the article "Coat." In particular, this sentence: A jacket is generally lighter, tighter-fitting, and less insulating than a coat, which is outerwear. The "Coat" article goes on at some length about how jackets are a subcategory of coats, and that not all coats are outerwear, which is flatly contradicted by the quoted sentence. Which is correct? (I'm inclined to believe the Coat article is correct on this issue, but I will defer to the expertise of those who know the subject well.) Chalkieperfect (talk) 09:03, 1 January 2013 (UTC)
Jacket or a coat or a jacket ? Or is it a coat?
Serious issues with the list. The lead paragraph defines a jacket. The list then includes garments which are not jackets.
less insulating than a coat, which is outerwear.
- Arctic jacket, or anorak (in the United Kingdom) or parka, a hooded jacket for very cold climates
- Donkey jacket - outdoor working coat
- Duffle coat - clue is in the title here
- Field jacket, a jacket that is worn by soldiers on the battlefield or doing duties in cold weather
- Norfolk jacket - I own one and wear it out of doors
- Raincoat, a water-resistant or water proof coat - clue is in the title here. Does it rain in your house?
a hip- or waist-length garment for the upper body
- Lab coat, a knee-length simple coat - clue is in the title here
- Mackintosh - long and outdoor
- Manteau, a loose cloak or mantle, often used to refer to the long overcoats worn by women in Iran - I don't believe that
- Duster coat - clue is in the title here
- Trench Coat - clue is in the title here
wrong place, wrong description, or just wrong
- Morning coat, a man's sports jacket worn in morning dress - I don't think so
- Gilet, a gilet is a sleeveless jacket or vest. - A vest is a vest and a jacket is a jacket and a gilet is a vest.
- Vacuum jacket (Chemistry) - I would pay good money to see someone wearing one of these!
The pictures are no better. "Tommy Hilfiger jacket." - not on the list. The article is about different types of jacket, not a list of all possible manufactures. "Sports jacket" - does not look like a sports jacket to me. Sports jackets do not have matching waistcoats. It looks like a suit jacket (and matching waistcoat). Kiltpin (talk) 17:34, 5 April 2013 (UTC)
Blacklisted Links Found on the Main Page
Cyberbot II has detected that page contains external links that have either been globally or locally blacklisted. Links tend to be blacklisted because they have a history of being spammed, or are highly innappropriate for Wikipedia. This, however, doesn't necessaryily mean it's spam, or not a good link. If the link is a good link, you may wish to request whitelisting by going to the request page for whitelisting. If you feel the link being caught by the blacklist is a false positive, or no longer needed on the blacklist, you may request the regex be removed or altered at the blacklist request page. If the link is blacklisted globally and you feel the above applies you may request to whitelist it using the before mentioned request page, or request it's removal, or alteration, at the request page on meta. When requesting whitelisting, be sure to supply the link to be whitelisted and wrap the link in nowiki tags. The whitelisting process can take its time so once a request has been filled out, you may set the invisible parameter on the tag to true. Please be aware that the bot will replace removed tags, and will remove misplaced tags regularly.
Below is a list of links that were found on the main page:
- Triggered by
\bjfleece\.net\bon the global blacklist
- Triggered by
If you would like me to provide more information on the talk page, contact User:Cyberpower678 and ask him to program me with more info.