|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|A fact from Jacob's Well appeared on Wikipedia's Main Page in the Did you know? column on 12 December 2008, and was viewed approximately 7,331 times (disclaimer) (check views). The text of the entry was as follows: "Did you know
Al Ameer son, thanks for pitching in. About the source that says the church is beside the well ... I was there just recently and the well is located below the church, not beside it. To get to the well, you go into the church, through the main doors, past the pews, to the back, near the altar, where there are stairs going down. Down there, is the well, and a small souvenir stand. Anyway, I don't know what to do about these weird inconsistencies introduced by the sources. For example, I don't have a source that says the new church has been complete. But I was there, entered it, took a picture of it and there was no sign of construction (or unfinished things) anywhere. Anyway, thanks again for your additions. Do you want to nominate it for a DYK, or should I? Tiamuttalk 20:01, 7 December 2008 (UTC)
- Actually, I must admit that the source did not say adjacent or near, but nothing on the exact location. So that was an OR assumption on my part. Thankfully you caught it. I was very happy that you started the article; I always wanted to create it, but I was lazy or working on another article. You should nominate it, I only added an eight of the text. I'll add some images in a minute. --Al Ameer son (talk) 20:34, 7 December 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks Al Ameer for clearing that up. I don't think it was your laziness that let me beat you to it. You are a tireless contributor here and all your contributions are much appreciated. I will nominate it, and have no problem with making it a co-nomination. Sometimes, it not how much you add, but rather how you add it. Collaboration doesn't depend on quantity, but a spirit of pitching in as a team. Anyway, I'll see what I can think of for a hook and put it soon. Tiamuttalk 20:40, 7 December 2008 (UTC)
Church or Monastery, or both?
Just for category reasons, is the structure atop Jacob's well a church or a monastery. The caption says church, so I assume I should recategorize to Category:Churches in the West Bank. Just need a quick clarification. --Al Ameer son (talk) 05:14, 10 December 2008 (UTC)
- From what I can gather from the sources and from my visit there, the large building pictured at the top of the article is the structure directly over the crypt that contains the well and it is a church. However, the church is located on the wider grounds of what sources call a monastery (there are courtyards, gardens, and other structures there beside the church, but I did not ask while I was there if there were lots of monks living there. I only know for sure of a priest whose house is oppostie the church an who acts as a custodian of the well.) Tiamuttalk 10:57, 10 December 2008 (UTC)
This article is at the moment the only one in Category:Religion in the Palestinian territories that is not in one of the subcategories. In which one or ones do we think it had best be put? Debresser (talk) 10:17, 25 June 2012 (UTC)
Where do you come up with 'Photina'? The name, as it is given by tradition, and as it has the meaning of 'Illuminated' or 'Luminous' is Φωτεινή, which may be transcribed as Photini (phonetically correct), or Photeine, if we follow the classical transcription, but there is no -a at the end. I was at the well just a couple of days ago, and of course the name you see in the icons, and as the monks will give it to you is Photini. Please allow us Greeks to spell our own names, thank you very much. I am correcting it, and unless you can bring any evidence to the contrary, please leave it as it is. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 19:35, 9 November 2012 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Jacob's Well. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20081215074901/http://www.pushproject.org/page78/page8/page5/Al-Quds%20Sites.html to http://www.pushproject.org/page78/page8/page5/Al-Quds%20Sites.html
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.