|WikiProject Days of the year|
Selected anniversaries for the "On this day" section of the Main Page
|Please read the selected anniversaries guidelines before editing this box.|
Could you give reason for the removal of my edit to this date page? If there is none, please replace my edit so I don't have to.
- The event about the new Massachusetts law regarding marijuana was removed because it is not a globally notable event. Additionally, the event was not supported in a linked article. -- Mufka (u) (t) (c) 20:03, 2 January 2009 (UTC)
- The event about the new Massachusetts law is indeed a globally notable event in the worldwide initiative toward the end of cultural stigmatization of cannabis. Furthermore, several events listed on this very date page -- and I can only imagine several others -- are "not supported by a linked article." Interestingly enough, had you taken the time to fully puruse the article for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, this event is, indeed, mentioned. ACCORDINGLY, I invite you to remove every other event "not supported by a linked article" on the January 2 page by midnight tonight, elsewise I will be re-posting my edit. FURTHERMORE if you are this concerned about such minor additions, perhaps you would be well advised to check every event for all 365 days of the year. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Jameslightell (talk • contribs) 22:11, 2 January 2009 (UTC)
- I'm sure that you understand that it is very difficult to patrol every entry in the date articles and the newest entries get attention first, but I can assure you that the number of unsupported events is very small (perhaps one or two per page on average). I, personally, put a lot of effort into removing any entry that is not supported by a linked article and I can only speak for myself. I know that there are many other editors that do the same. You are correct that the event was supported in the linked article and that reason for removal was incorrect on my part (that wasn't the reason I removed it, but when you commented on my talk page, I remembered incorrectly). The lack of notability still stands. No one in India or the UK cares if a small state in the United States passes a law about marijuana and even if they did, it wouldn't still be notable in 20 years. -- Mufka (u) (t) (c) 15:05, 3 January 2009 (UTC)
- Sure, sure. Your claim of lack of notability cannot be supported by any fact, however. My claim that it is indeed notable, however, is easily supported by not only nationwide media attention to this measure, but also remarks regarding it by several international news organizations. I need not enumerate here, but just do a Google News search. Apparently you will be amazed by just how notable it is.
- It's indeed a great service you do for, essentially, all knowledge-loving persons of the world by facilitating the placement of accurate information in an easily accessible format, for free, on the web -- which is, if I am not mistaken the goal of the WikiMedia Foundation. Bearing this in mind, would it not be doing everyone you so conscientiously serve a great disservice by not erring on the side of too much information?
- Just a thought. You obviously are more familiar with editting Wikipedia than I, so I'll leave the decision up to you, while respectfully disagreeing with your present one. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Jameslightell (talk • contribs) 19:53, 5 January 2009 (UTC)
- Jett Travolta is not the subject of his own Wikipedia article. That is the minimum notability requirement for inclusion in the list. -- Mufka (u) (t) (c) 23:31, 4 January 2009 (UTC)
Second New Year (South Africa)
Twelve Days of Christmas
What are you? Some kind of sadist? Today it's nine pipers piping! All they really want to do is chase the maids. The cows are upset and are stepping on those screeching birds. What am I going to do? The neighbors have started eviction proceedings against me.
You'll get yours.
Births and Deaths
Continuing the ongoing effort to reduce the size of the Births and Deaths sections to make them manageable, I'm removing some celebrities with few or no articles in other wikipedias, moving the entries to the appropriate Year in Topic article if they were not already present. This is in accordance with the guidelines. See discussions at Wikipedia_talk:Days_of_the_year.Deb (talk) 08:56, 17 January 2016 (UTC)