Talk:Jim Bailey (entertainer)
|WikiProject Biography / Arts and Entertainment||(Rated Start-class)|
|WikiProject LGBT studies / Person||(Rated Start-class)|
I note that the references section has been removed, and no references are included inline at all. In addition, I'm not convinced of his notability, though he may measure up by WP:MUSIC - I'm not as clear on that guideline. -- SatyrTN (talk / contribs) 21:22, 26 February 2008 (UTC)
- In his day, he was pretty famous in the U.S.; even a hopeless het boy like me vaguely remembers when he was a regular on television. --Orange Mike | Talk 16:01, 28 February 2008 (UTC)
- He's an actor/performer more than a musician. I think this is more a generational thing and quite a few performers, legends really, on Broadway, Vegas and other stages where they have to be seen in person simply aren't as well known globally as some movie stars or Hollywood celebs. Back in the day performers aimed to be on stage and television and Bailey does this. More than a drag queen but also an art form that is less supported nowadays is going to a theater supper-club/nightclub and seeing an illusionists show with a handful of performers. With LGBT acceptance drag is more mainstream and less mysterious so venues for such performing have changed considerably. I think Bailey though has kept going despite the changes in venues and likely has done thousands of performances. Benjiboi 00:48, 29 February 2008 (UTC)
- Thank you so much for helping me... You've hit the nail on the head..... because hes not a movie star or recording artist the world doesn't know him but hes a personal appearance artist.... he has performed at some of the worlds most prestigious fine arts venues which is rare ... i.e. carnegie hall 9 times ,boston symphony hall and London Palladium 12 times (londons carnegie hall) and hes performed superstar venues in australia , orient, south america and canada (ive researched) and performed for the the Queen and Charles and Diana.I found this...
He performed at the 1978 superbowl halftime can you imagine that today......i feel its facinating because i cant imagine a man in drag doing that today ...Bailey hit superstar status. i found this on youtube
JIM bailey at the superbowl.
Jim Bailey at the olympics opening ceremony
however he has performed on the tonight show 9 times i remember seeing him and has acted in many movies and episodic stuff...hes more than a female impersonator i think hes taken it as far as anyone could.It shows the world that america is more liberal than they think.--Williamkieffert (talk) 17:16, 29 February 2008 (UTC)
Please help us
This whole thing is turning into a nightmare. Every day we come on we see nasty homophobic comments written in his article.
We removed all the lines that said citation needed.
We had a list of many references and when it was cleaned up they were removed???? we also had photos that were deleted accompanying each article.IMDB references everything and has more stuff on.
- I'm not sure what you mean; I've checked the article history and it doesn't seem to have been vandalized at all. What homophobic comments are you referring to? Also, I removed the references section just now because it's redundant to the external links section; they contain the exact same links. GlassCobra 19:00, 28 February 2008 (UTC)
please help....look above satrr says no references and hes not sure of his notability....... and someone has threatened to delete......this guy has a whole list of stuff on imdb...orange mike remembers...mr bailey gave up rights to photos they ewere deleted. he appeared on tionight show 9 times, superbowl and olympics and we just want help. we saw fem fem in and his manager saw stuff. please help our only fault is we are not computer savvy like you guys. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Williamkieffert (talk • contribs) 19:22, 28 February 2008 (UTC)
- 1) A tag like "citation needed" is not a demand that the information be removed; it's a call for a specific cite. You say, Variety said something: give us a date and page number. 2) SatyrTN is no homophobe, to put it mildly! 3) As several editors have told you, Steve and William, as representatives of Jim's you have massive conflicts of interest, and should not be editing this article, save to revert blatant vandalism. If you've got material to contribute, tell us about it on this talk page so non-conflicted editors can use it. 4) I'm not good with copyright and permissions on Wikipedia myself; could somebody help these guys? 5) "Female impersonator" is not an insult, it's a specific term. Wikipedia is not censored, and we don't use a euphemism when a perfectly good term is available. --Orange Mike | Talk 21:09, 28 February 2008 (UTC)
Thanks so much for your help ....you orangemike, glass cobra and satyr have tried to help me...... im knew to this ........now, I saw a biography on Jim Bailey he was the first impressionist and impersonator on mainstream tvi.e. ed sullivan 1969, i thought he should be in here ...what i said before was "satyr asked for references and they were in at one point but someone took them out...i know HE didnt say anything but I had comments written in i.e. his name was changed to fem fem and girly. Im not an agent for bailey I asked him for photos through his website which he owned and they were deleted.if you satr and glass cobra would help id really be greatful but this has kind of ...disappointed me.--Williamkieffert (talk) 21:32, 28 February 2008 (UTC)
- Firstly, this article is not going to be deleted. Bailey has a long and notable career it's just that this article needs to be better written and referenced for those that don't know him him to also see that. Here's a link to several books including one which describes a documentary on him. here is a few more (well hundreds) but the one's to "drag" as an artform have to be picked out. If you stick with "illusionist" (old school and classist terminologies intermingled) you can also find hundreds of hits plenty that are reliable sources. This should get us over the first hurdle of s he notable. I have little doubt but this should help persuade the rest. Williamkieffert, the best suggestion I believe for you would be to check out similar articles like Divine (actor) to see how a non-typical actor's wikipedia entry would look after a bit of work. Also check out WP:CITE which gives a good overview of some other editors are coming from. Once folks are convinced this is a real and notable person the article should stabilize a bit. My plate is more than full by you can message me on my talk anytime for support. Benjiboi 00:37, 29 February 2008 (UTC)
Photos are a "toughie" so don't be discouraged. Essentially we are the world's encyclopedia and as such images have to be free not only in your country but also elsewhere. For wikipedia the best images are ones that are given (uploaded) by the person who owns the right to the image and gives free use for anyone to do anything with it. Less free images can also be used but, as you've seen, will be deleted if all the license questions aren't quickly sorted out. No worries, an image will appear from somewhere soon enough. Benjiboi 03:01, 29 February 2008 (UTC)
- THANK-YOU PHOTOS....I tracked bailey and his management down and they gave free use to images of him with the queen , lucille ball, barbra streisand and prince charles....... they own the rights because bailey got the photo(smart thing or nobody would beleive it) )they got someone to upload them and they were deleted....WHY WOULD THIS HAPPEN WHEN THE PERSON WHO OWNS THE RIGHT UPLOADED THEM.... after i pleaded with them its very embarrassing.
- I also noticed that not only was bailey the first man in a dress singing on those mainstream shows i.e. tonight and ed sullivan ....see imdb he also acted and played a sex change and transvestites 30 years ago on mainstream episodic tv when ....so-called straight actors wouldnt touch a role like that....it wasnt in vogue............i.e. streets if san francisco (70s) vegas (70s) and night court 80s ....so if LGBT has more acceptance now its due to him.--Williamkieffert (talk) 18:46, 29 February 2008 (UTC)
- Wikipedia's image uploading isn't the most user-friendly so no worries, we'll get it sorted out again. If you can contact them again please apologize and state that as we are a worldwide encyclopedia the licenses are pretty strict. I've found the best solution is to pick a photo, or several, they they own the rights to and are willing to give freely away so that anyone, anywhere, can use for anything. Go to WikiCommons which is a parent for content to all the different language wikis including wikipedia. Create a (free) account and upload the images using the guides there and indicate who owns the image and that it is freely being given away. You can see that not every artist is willing to give away free use of their images but we're hoping for at least one. Benjiboi 01:57, 1 March 2008 (UTC)