Talk:John George I, Elector of Saxony
|WikiProject Biography||(Rated Start-class)|
|WikiProject Germany||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
Naming convention and Anglicization
I'm a Wikipedia user, not an active editor, but I'm bemused by the naming of this article, with the Anglicized "John George" instead of Johann Georg (and the same goes for the other Germans at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_George). According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Naming_conventions_%28royalty_and_nobility%29#Sovereigns, "Monarch's first name should be the most common form used in current English works of general reference. Where this cannot be determined, use the conventional anglicized form of the name, as Henry above." Maybe when these articles were written English convention was difficult to determine, but I'm holding four books and several articles here that use "Johann Georg," and a hasty search of Google Books for "John George elector" yields only results from over 100 years ago and compilations of Wikipedia articles. What gives? (Edit: I notice "Johann Georg" is even used in the body of the article at a couple of points.) AbdiViklas (talk) 20:34, 3 January 2013 (UTC)
- If we leave out compilatios of Wikipedia articles, there are 92 books referring to "John George" "elector of Saxony" and 71 books that refer to "Johann Georg" "elector of Saxony". Surtsicna (talk) 22:15, 3 January 2013 (UTC)
- Actually, using the english-language Google portal, I get 74,300 hits for the first search and 27,500 in the second. And while many of the results in the first category are 19th century or early 20th, there are also recent publications from houses like Oxford. Your point stands; obviously there is not consensus. Thanks! AbdiViklas (talk) 00:52, 4 January 2013 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on John George I, Elector of Saxony. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20141006130742/http://wwperson.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/cgi-bin/l1/LANG%3Dengl/INDEX%3DI739 to http://wwperson.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/cgi-bin/l1/LANG%3Dengl/INDEX%3DI739
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20141006084942/http://wwperson.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/cgi-bin/l1/LANG%3Dengl/INDEX%3DI140968 to http://wwperson.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/cgi-bin/l1/LANG%3Dengl/INDEX%3DI140968
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.