|Daring Fireball was nominated for deletion. The debate was closed on 27 May 2014 with a consensus to merge. Its contents were merged into John Gruber. The original page is now a redirect to here. For the contribution history and old versions of the redirected article, please see its history; for its talk page, see here.|
|The following Wikipedia contributors may be personally or professionally connected to the subject of the article. Relevant policies and guidelines may include Paid contribution disclosure, Conflict of interest, Autobiography, and Neutral point of view.|
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the John Gruber article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons (BLP) policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to . If you are a subject of this article, or acting on behalf of one, and you need help, please see this help page.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
"His blog often seeks to refute criticism of Steve Jobs, Apple, and its products." clearly is personal opinion. I removed it. 18.104.22.168 13:31, 23 July 2007 (UTC)
- Actually it's not untrue at all. Gruber himself describes himself as "the fanboys' fanboy". His entire raison d'etre is - to use his own words - to be a "Mac snob". And whilst he is sometimes critical of Apple he will most often use underhanded logic to make Apple come up smelling like a rose. This speaks not only for Gruber but for his following and is an important sociological observation. To remove such a sentence without attempting to paraphrase it better is to do something unbecoming of Wikipedia. Note as well the sentence says "often" and not "exclusively". Thus your stating this was a personal opinion is ironically the only personal opinion in this context. The sentence should be paraphrased and restored ASAP. 22.214.171.124
- For subjective or synthesis statements, it's a good idea to find a citation or some kind of evidence before adding them to the article. Dreamyshade (talk) 16:51, 15 July 2008 (UTC)
- I have not met this guy, but the article seems very biased and opinion based, not up to the usual standards of wikipedia —Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 11:04, 28 January 2009 (UTC)
Hello 188.8.131.52 - I wonder if your concerns are mostly about this paragraph, which was added recently and which I just removed:
Entries on the Daring Fireball blog are noted for their length and verbosity (as well as their injudicious use of quoting). Whilst some people – most notably from the so-called "fan boy" community – laud this style as being indicative of his depth of knowledge regarding the Mac platform, others are less sure of his position to make comment . This scepticism is backed up by the fact that John Gruber has no software to his name aside from a handful of AppleScripts.
There may be a grain of truth in there somewhere, but the supporting citation is a opinion post, not a reliable source, so it doesn't belong in the article. Dreamyshade (talk) 18:33, 28 January 2009 (UTC)
Is this guy notable enough to have a Wikipedia page?
I don't see any indication that he has done anything that millions of other people have: He writes a blog and gives talks. What reason is there for keeping this page? Aardvark92 (talk) 20:34, 18 April 2014 (UTC)
- He invented Markdown, which created a revolution in publishing on the web. And created controversy for a decade by his public attacks on anyone who tried to improve on his original buggy Perl script, or to standardize the markup format, including some of the most popular web sites. Perhaps some of the discussion about Gruber and the many sources about him from the Markdown page should be copied or paraphrased here, or rewritten more from the point of view of Gruber the person. But there can't be any question about his notability. I'm removing the notability template. If someone wants to add a stub template, that I could hear. StormWillLaugh (talk) 14:11, 8 September 2014 (UTC)
- Oh, it's already marked as a stub. Fine. This article definitely needs some serious work. But notability is definitely not an issue. StormWillLaugh (talk) 08:46, 9 September 2014 (UTC)
- I think there needs to be some substantiation for the claim that Markdown created a "revolution in publishing on the web".
- I'm not saying Gruber isn't notable, I just think he hasn't necessarily been shown notable yet. I also think his notability would be easier to establish via his Apple enthusiast blog, which has given him far more name recognition than Markdown. Filjil (talk) 11:47, 21 November 2014 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on John Gruber. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://rentzsch.com/c4/zero
- Corrected formatting/usage for https://2013.macworldiworld.com/connect/agenda.ww
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.