|WikiProject Days of the year|
Selected anniversaries for the "On this day" section of the Main Page
|Please read the selected anniversaries guidelines before editing this box.|
I'm almost certain that there were earlier female fighter pilots, specifically in the Soviet Air Force during WWII, so I'm going to remove "perhaps the first".
"Recorded on this day"? why does that only appear on this entry? Should it appear at all. Trivia, at best. Matthewmayer 00:30, 3 Apr 2004 (UTC)
- 1537 - Pope Paul III declares that Native Americans "are human beings, with the qualities and faults of human beings."
- This seems to be a paraphrase from Sublimus Dei, which was signed May 29. See The Catholic Encyclopedia: "the Indians are truly men"...who " are by no means to be deprived of their liberty or the possession of their property"...nor "in any way enslaved"...but rather "should be converted to the faith of Jesus Christ by preaching the word of God and by the example of good and holy living". This seems to be another example of conversion from a historical Julian date to a proleptic Gregorian date, though it's off-by-one. - Nunh-huh 06:05, 9 Jun 2004 (UTC)
- 1775 - American Revolutionary War: Guy Carleton begins preparations to face American invasion at Quebec.
- 1989 - Jane Foster and Deanna Brasseur become Canada's first two female fighter pilots.
- 1990 - A record store owner in Fort Lauderdale, Florida is arrested for selling As Nasty As They Wanna Be by 2 Live Crew
- 1997 - The British lease on the New Territories in Hong Kong expires.
Could not be confirmed outside of 'this day in history'-type webpages and/or Wikipedia mirrors. --mav 05:12, 9 Jun 2004 (UTC)
Moved to June 10:
Nope - was on the 10th. --mav 05:12, 9 Jun 2004 (UTC)
Moved to May 6,
Nope - was on May 6. --mav 05:12, 9 Jun 2004 (UTC)
Dear Mr. Trogel: Thank you for for pointing out my error on the June 9 page. I did not realize there was no information readily available on Mr. Perfetto. I regret his exclusion from the article, but until one of us discovers a source of information on him, I am afraid that he will have to remain an enigma.
Good day M Muise
Deleted from this day. --184.108.40.206 13:05, 9 June 2006 (UTC)