|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Jupiter Hammon:Getting Real The first known African American to publish literature in the US (several years earlier, Phillis Wheatley had published her poems, but in England, not the US)... His first published poem was written on Christmas Day, 1760.
This is clearly wrong. Phyllis Wheatley was born in 1753, as Her entry in Wikipedia notes. She was only seven when On Christmas Day was published, and could not have been publishing poems at that age.
- in which he said that while he personally had no wish to be free, he did wish others, especially “the young Negroes, were free.”
I don't think it's possible that this photo is of Jupter Hammon - he died ~20 years before the first photograph. Simonsevenn 02:37, 7 March 2007 (UTC)
- Concur...the first known photo of a human was a man walking down a Paris steet, circa 1840-something...Theres no way there is any photo of Hammon, much as we'd like one. I see that any such photo has been deleted; good....Engr105th (talk) 03:38, 25 April 2008 (UTC)
The #2 reference to "An address to the negroes in the state of New-York". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved 24 April 2010." now (3/13/13) produces a dead link with cute 404 message. I would attempt to fix but don't know how since it is autogenerated from within footnote.Proyster (talk) 19:52, 13 March 2013 (UTC)
WikiProject class rating
This article was automatically assessed because at least one WikiProject had rated the article as stub, and the rating on other projects was brought up to Stub class. BetacommandBot 07:13, 10 November 2007 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Jupiter Hammon. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20091128185140/http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/readex/20400.html to http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/readex/20400.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110711070428/http://www.galeschools.com/black_history/literature/address.htm to http://www.galeschools.com/black_history/literature/address.htm
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.