|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Kven people article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
- Talk:Kven/Archive 1: July 2005 – June 2006
- Talk:Kven/Archive 2: July 2006 – August 2006
- Talk:Kven/Archive 3: July 2006 – September 2006
- Talk:Kven/Archive 4: September 2006 – April 2007
- Talk:Kven/Archive Kvenland: Comments that are also posted in Talk:Kvens of the past
"During this period"
There are too many places in this article where it says "During this period". For instance "during this period" it was prohibited to sell land to non-norwegian speakers. When?--Barend 09:05, 6 August 2006 (UTC)
- I have tried to reduce the number of "this periods". This is what I have done:
- Kven migrations: this period -> these two periods (periods are specified above)
- Assimilation policy: this period the Sami culture revitalized (I think this is OK)
- Assimilation policy: this period Kven people started organizing -> In the 1980s
- Assimilation policy: integrated into the Norwegian main stream society during that period -> removed that period (the Kvens have probably always been integrated into the main stream society).
- * Assimilation policy: this period the use of the Kven language was forbidden in schools…land purchase: need to be specified
- --Labongo 18:13, 8 August 2006 (UTC)
Category for Kvens?
Proposing adding a category to cover all Kven related articles. The name of the category could simply be "Kven". --Drieakko 06:58, 19 May 2007 (UTC)
- Support. Cannot see any reasons for someone to object against such a category.Labongo 16:57, 21 May 2007 (UTC)
Is this article really trustworthy and objective?
I have studied and worked with the topic of this article for several years. It made me really worried when I read the article about "Kven people". Who is responsible for the articles content? It looks like a political statement from the leaders of the Norwegian organisation named "Norske kveners forbund". There are several serious errors in the article. If this article reflects the objectivenes of the articles in Wikipedia then the encyclopedic value of Wikipedia becomes critically low. Unfortunately. I hope we together can rewrite the article to a far more objective one. Nordmand (talk) 16:52, 5 August 2011 (UTC)
- I concur with what you say, Nordmand. However, I do believe it is almost entirely accurate, and the innaccuracies (if any) are such that I can't discern them, given my somewhat limited knowledge about the subject. However, I would like to add that is happens that the Finnish dialect that is spoken in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan by most Finnish Americans (this being the area with the highest percentage of Finnish American immigrants and their descendants) is predominantly from the Torneo Valley of Sweden, and would hence be probably considered a Kven dialect. The reason for this is due to a couple of facts: 1) the earliest immigrant wave of Finnish people to Michigan's Upper Peninsula came to work the mines from the mining region of the Torneo Valley, and 2) these people were almost all from the Laestadius Sect of Lutheranism, which in America became the Old Apostolic Lutheran Church, and as such, they quite frankly breed like rabbits. So, later waves of immigrants from Finland proper (especially after the Finnish Civil War of 1918-1921) were outnumbered over the years by the hugely prolific Kven Finns - the distinction is made here between the Finns of that time as being either "Red Finns" or "Church Finns". Today, almost all Finnish Americans in Michigan (and in northern Wisconsin and Minnesota and Western Ontario) speak the Kven dialect. --Saukkomies talk 20:58, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
You might increase support for the genocide of Swedes if you are going to equate Kvens to rabbits. There is no reason to dehumanize a group of people like that. They are fellow White people. How absolutely disgraceful of an individual you are with zero human qualities. --User:Thor talk 20:58, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Kven people. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070513062744/http://www.sprakrad.no/Aktuelt/Kvensk-sprakrad-er-dannet/ to http://www.sprakrad.no/Aktuelt/Kvensk-sprakrad-er-dannet/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.