|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Lance Bass article.|
|Lance Bass has been listed as one of the Music good articles under the good article criteria. If you can improve it further, please do so. If it no longer meets these criteria, you can reassess it.|
|This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to this noticeboard. If you are connected to one of the subjects of this article and need help, please see this page.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
I see that there's been some dispute over what Lance's birthname is: James Lance Bass or James Lansten Bass. Well, he posted a blog on December 11, 2005 on his official MySpace (it is official because it has been quoted in mainstream media, such as People magazine, etc... see some of the article's references) that said,
I have been asked this question many times in my life... so let me clear up something for you all. My name is James Lance Bass, but I have always gone by Lance. Dont know why. All the men in my family are James Irvin Bass.. and my parents decided to break the mold with me. (Thank God!)Everyone in my family goes by Jimmy or Jim, so to avoid confusion I guess they used Lance.
Oh and Lansten never was my name, the guys maybe called me that for like a week as a joke.. but it stuck for some reason in the press.
I know this is the most boring blog ever , but you have no idea how many people have a problem with why I use Lance instead of James. "It's just not natural!" lol"
His MySpace is private, so only MySpace users can see it, any MySpace users can see it if you add him as a friend. The link to his official MySpace is in the article's external links.
Anyway, I know we are not allowed to use MySpace as a reference on Wikipedia, but I just wanted to post this because I am going to change the intro to display his real birthname. --MgCupcake 18:31, 22 September 2007 (UTC)
- FYI. You are allowed to use MySpace as a reference but in many cases, as this one, you don't need to if it is published in a more relaible source. That said, it sounds like the original source is the subject (Bass) posting on his MySpace page so you could (if needed) qualify by "Bass states on his MySpace page..." Benjiboi 15:18, 21 November 2007 (UTC)
Consistent verb tense
The beginning of the Coming out section begins with "Bass announced that he is...". As a recent editor noted in his edit summary, because the main verb 'announced' is in the past tense, the following verb should also have a past tense. Regardless of current status then, or today, the sentence should be written as "Bass announced that he was...". Does anyone dispute this? —Adavidb 20:36, 22 September 2007 (UTC)
There has been some disagreement with wording in the lead paragraph which states Bass "obtained cosmonaut certification from both NASA and the Russian Space Program". The word cosmonaut means a Russian astronaut. NASA doesn't certify individuals as cosmonauts, though as the source states, did certify Bass "for a mission aboard a Soyuz capsule". What are others' thoughts about rewording this sentence to better match the source, perhaps to something like "was certified by both NASA and the Russian Space Program for a mission"? The next sentence gives specifics. —Adavidb 12:18, 29 September 2007 (UTC)
- I agree with this, and changed the intro to better fit your suggestion. Let me know what you think. --MgCupcake 03:13, 19 October 2007 (UTC)
The new wording looks fine. Thanks —Adavidb 03:29, 19 October 2007 (UTC)
Nomination for semi-protection
This seems to be a very well-written article, yet it constantly gets vandalized by non-registered users. I would definitely say this article gets vandalized more than most, and now that Bass is doing a lot of publicity for his book.... I think this article should be semi-protected. 22.214.171.124 19:43, 25 October 2007 (UTC)
- The standard for semi-protect seems to be volume. If it is endless daily (like 3+6 times a day) nd seems to disrupt editing then you have a stronger case. Benjiboi 15:19, 21 November 2007 (UTC)
Why is "Bass, Lance. Out of Sync, 107-137" here without the book name and ISBN number in a "References" section (which is not here, BTW). Look at the formatting rules. :) --andreasegde 18:58, 2 November 2007 (UTC)
- Fixed it. --Lonely Sound 19:28, 2 November 2007 (UTC)
GA reviewThis template must be substituted. Replace
I see a lot of work has been done since the last GA review, good job!. My only concern is in the lead, it's too short and it doesn't completly summarize the article (no mention of Bass being an actor and a producer). I'm sure this will be fixed in no time, leave me a message on my talk page when it's done. :) -Yamanbaiia 17:15, 3 November 2007 (UTC)
- Perfect! good job!!Yamanbaiia 09:45, 4 November 2007 (UTC)
Statement about past marriage
Would this section work better if it was merged into the "Relationships" section? I'm undecided. --Lonely Sound 06:02, 9 November 2007 (UTC)
- I've decided to go ahead and merge it. --Lonely Sound 07:03, 11 November 2007 (UTC)
Balance criticism of his acting
in the Film, television and theater section he was criticized for his movie acting but then lists a bunch of acting roles including Broadway. The section should be balanced with "critics generally approved of his performances" or a quote about his acting to show that he improved or that his first film was an exception in some way. Otherwise it doesn't make sense why a bad actor was hired again. Benjiboi 15:23, 21 November 2007 (UTC)
- Unfortunately, there have not been many "rave reviews" regarding Bass's acting, but I have added some reviews that mentioned postive things about his screen presence. --MgCupcake (talk) 00:31, 22 November 2007 (UTC)
- Seems much better now - good job! Benjiboi 00:17, 23 November 2007 (UTC)
Personal Life section too long?
Does anyone else think the Personal Life section can be condensed a bit? Do we really need to know every detail about Bass's relationships, such as where he met the person and what the cause of the break-up was? I feel that it's rather long. --MgCupcake (talk) 05:07, 25 November 2007 (UTC)
- My hunch is that it could be trimmed but it may make sense to wait on it for a bit. Until he's in a stable relationship for a while this information is still of utmost interest to many of his fans and it does seem to be referenced well. Give it a few months then hack a bit and see if anyone objects. Benjiboi 21:05, 25 November 2007 (UTC)