|WikiProject Germany||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
"78th Brigade Ersatz Battalion absorbed into II Battalion, 78th Landwehr Infantry Regiment" is as quoted in Busche. I believe this is incorrect as
- 1) 78th Landwehr Infantry Regiment was not a unit of the Landwehr Corps
- 2) 78th Landwehr Infantry Regiment of X Corps District was assigned to 38th Mixed Landwehr Brigade (according to Busche) and assigned to the Senior Landwehr Commander 1 in the Army of the North in Schleswig (according to Cron)
- 3) I note the coincidence of "78" for both the Brigade Ersatz Battalion and the Landwehr Infantry Regiment
Alternative Order of Battle
Cron's Imperial German Army 1914-8, p.134 says that the mobilised field army on 2 Aug 1914 included: 3 Landwehr (LW) Btns, 5 LW Btys and 22 Landsturm (LS) Btys. On p.371, the following Corps are shown as having LS Btys: 1 each from VII, VIII, XII, XIII, XVIII, XIX, Bavarian II & III (book actually says II & II, but this is an obvious typo); 2 each from II - VI, XVII & Bavarian I. This totals 22 Btys.
Yet Cron's Orbat (p. 299-329) shows 3 LW Btns (I, X & XIV), 7 LW Btys and 20 LS Btys! The orbat makes no mention of the LS Btys from V & VI Corps (instead it mentions LW Btys), but does refer to 2 LS Btys from XI Corps (which according to his own list didn't have any).
Unless his list on p.371 is wrong, this suggests that the Btys supporting the 3rd & 4th LW Divisions were LS not LW, whereas those supporting 43 LW Bde were LW not LS.
His orbat also neglects to mention the Bty from VIII Corps, but includes the VII Corps Bty in both 25 LW Bde and 29 LW Bde. Given that the infantry in 29 LW Bde is from VIII Corps Regiments (and that for 25 LW Bde is from VII Corps Regiments), this suggests that the artillery and cavalry for 29 LW Bde should also be from VIII Corps.
The book by Robinson & Robinson supports my view (p. 248/9, 256 & 274). The problem with their orbat is that the date is unclear - it seems to be post-mobilisation, as some of the changes that occurred during the first weeks of war have been reflected.
Cron p.377 says that the 5th & 6th Pionier Btns each mobilised with 2 reserve companies (and on p.378, both formed an Ersatz Company during 1914). As his orbat (p.316) includes these 4 reserve companies in the 10th & 12th Reserve Divisions, neither Btn could have a reserve company serving in the Landwehr Corps.
Robinson & Robinson say that the pionier companies in the Landwehr Corps were Ersatz units. This is weakly supported by "Histories of 251 Divisions of the German Army which Participated in the War (1914-1918)".Glevum (talk) 21:28, 18 January 2014 (UTC)
- Glevum, I think you have got it right. Where there are multiple conflicting sources (or where a source conflicts with itself), we have to pick the one that is most probably. Hamish59 (talk) 15:41, 19 January 2014 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Landwehr Corps. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110122013020/http://home.comcast.net/~jcviser/aok/kirchbach_g.htm to http://home.comcast.net/~jcviser/aok/kirchbach_g.htm
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20140201230002/http://home.comcast.net/~jcviser/aka/koenig.htm to http://home.comcast.net/~jcviser/aka/koenig.htm
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.