|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Larry Niven article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons (BLP) policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to . If you are a subject of this article, or acting on behalf of one, and you need help, please see this help page.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
- 1 Stemming hospital losses by spreading rumors in Spanish?
- 2 Expand the bio
- 3 Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Bandersnatch_(Known_Space)_(2nd_nomination)
- 4 A Larry Niven talk page?
- 5 "Official" web site?
- 6 Template
- 7 His fantasy includes the series The Magic Goes Away, rational fantasy dealing with magic as a non-renewable resource.
- 8 Assessment comment
- 9 External links modified
Stemming hospital losses by spreading rumors in Spanish?
- Yeah - I removed it. I've been following Niven for years; this is the kind of thing that if he said it, it was a good example of his twisted sense of humor, and of course it refers to a series of stories of his. A joke - if he said it. Certainly makes no sense to include it here. MikeR613 (talk) 14:08, 3 March 2013 (UTC)
Expand the bio
Niven likes to talk about himself a lot. Surely someone who has the books or the magazine articles can expand the bio, and detail his work for NASA and the US govt. Niven was on the team that invented Star Wars (SDI) when Reagan invented it. Someone out there must have the hardcopies of everything he said in the 80's and 90's. Would a link to Space.com be enough? —Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 19:52, 15 October 2008 (UTC)
- Thank you for that. I don't have the Bandersnatch article on my watchlist, so I would never have known about this. --Human.v2.0 (talk) 01:06, 17 May 2009 (UTC)
Don't know the right way to broach this, but the megastructure known as Halo is emphatically not a Ringworld. It's very clearly an Orbital of the Banks variety. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 13:39, 15 March 2010 (UTC)
- Niven's Ringworld concept preceded Bank's by roughly 17 years by their bibliographies. The article calls it "ringworld-like," which I think is an accurate description. Ignignot (talk) 19:10, 15 March 2010 (UTC)
- Well, yeah... except Niven's Ringworld concept is of a colossal structure with a 2AU diameter, far, far bigger than Halo, in fact so much bigger than Halo as to be ridiculous, whereas Banks's Orbital concept (admitted by Banks to have been borrowed/ripped off from Niven) is of a far, far smaller structure not coincidentally exactly the sort of size Halo is. Halo is "Ringworld-like" in the same sense that a pygmyshrew is elephant-like. Also, one of the defining features of the Ringworld is the rather important presence of a star at its centre. Orbitals and Halo both lack that. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 12:05, 12 May 2010 (UTC)
A Larry Niven talk page?
Is there one?
I remember adding information to the Fleet of Worlds articles years ago that seems to have been deleted. I'm kind of a hard core fan of Niven with 30+ years and tons of knowledge and I can see and appreciate the humor and the retcons in the current trilogy. Seeing as how Niven never intended to write anything in Known Space after Ringworld until in his own words "forced to" by the fans, readers of the new series should not be surprised that what he wrote in the 60's & 70's needs to be "updated" to make the series coherent.
"Official" web site?
When I clicked on the "Official" web site, I was sent to a web site which was self described as a fan site for Larry Niven. Should such a site be described as an "official" web site? --Fredrik Coulter (talk) 19:10, 27 July 2010 (UTC)
Template:Larry Niven is not to be found at each article in the template. I may do this, but its worth anyones time to add the template to each article.Mercurywoodrose (talk) 02:30, 20 November 2011 (UTC)
His fantasy includes the series The Magic Goes Away, rational fantasy dealing with magic as a non-renewable resource.
There's something wrong with this sentence. I'm not even sure what it means, nor that it belongs in the opener. Does anyone have strong feelings about it? Can you fix it? I'm thinking about just dropping it.Doceddi (talk) 12:59, 24 June 2012 (UTC)
The comment(s) below were originally left at several discussions in past years, these subpages are now deprecated. The comments may be irrelevant or outdated; if so, please feel free to remove this section., and are posted here for posterity. Following
|Rated C class:
well written well organised too much triviaFar too few citations for B class
Substituted at 01:13, 22 May 2016 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Larry Niven. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.kidsnewsroom.org/elmer/infocentral/space/html/universe/solar_system/planets/mercury/surface/tidally_locked.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20021224193414/http://flag.blackened.net/liberty/moorcock.html to http://flag.blackened.net/liberty/moorcock.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.