Talk:List of BBC newsreaders and reporters
|This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to . If you are connected to one of the subjects of this article and need help, please see this page.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
- 1 Radio (OR lack of it)
- 2 Michelle Fleury
- 3 Kylie Pentalow
- 4 Title
- 5 Correspondents sections
- 6 Article tidy up
- 7 Hariet Cass and Susan Rae
- 8 Correspondents
- 9 HardTalk
- 10 Simon McCoy, Naga Munchetty and Katherine Downes
- 11 Discrimination
- 12 Errors
- 13 Distinction between BBC One, BBC News and BBC World News
Radio (OR lack of it)
This article fails to mention that the correspondents work on radio too. As it lists presenters on the news channel and world news it should also list those on five live, world service and radio 4. I intend to amend the article to include this - but I ask anyone who can help to do so as I may not be able to find all the information necessary. Uvghifds (talk) 15:54, 18 April 2011 (UTC)
Data in wrong place
Under 'Radio news presenters/BBC Radio 4' there is a table listing BBC Television newsreaders and reporters. The list is considerable: Roger Johnson, Jon Kay, Steph McGovern, Sian Lloyd, Sally Nugent, Reeta Chakrabarti, Sian Williams, Alice Baxter, Sally Bundock, Rajesh Mirchandani, Adam Parsons, Gavin Grey, Chris Rogers, Fiona Armstrong, Christian Fraser, Rebecca Jones, Ian Pannell, Matthew Price, Rachel Schofield, Carole Walker, Yalda Hakim, Nik Gowing, Dani Sinha, Deborah Mackenzie, Barbara Meredith, Mariko Oi. A few are heard on Radio 4 (Reeta Chakrabarti, Rajesh Mirchandani?) but most aren't. The table should have most of the names removed and the affiliations changed for the few that do appear on Radio 4. 22.214.171.124 (talk) 08:09, 24 May 2014 (UTC)
What happened to Kylie Pentalow?
presenter / reporter / 8pm producer BBC east midlands today oct 2007 to present
presenter / reporter BBC south today (oxford) oct 2006 to oct 2007
presenter / video journalist BBC birmingham tv and BBC midlands today oct 2005 to oct 2006
researcher / video journalist BBC newsround oct 2004 to apr 2005
television reporter BBC points west oct 2002 to oct 2004
think you need to add her, whoever wrote this page.
This page is incorrectly titled. It should be "List of BBC national newsreaders and reporters". (Then there would be no need for Kylie Pentalow to want to appear on it ...)
The BBC website has now moved news from Oceanan into the Asia section (with significant criticism). Should we therefore reflect this and move the correspondents from Australia and NZ into the Asia section? Uvghifds (talk) 17:54, 12 December 2011 (UTC)
Article tidy up
I think this article needs tidying up a little - so here are a few of my thoughts:
1) Put the contents box at the top left of the page, remove bbc logo and remove sub sections - e.g. Europe, Asia - so that there is a reduced contents, but easier to use.
2) The correspondents are not in any clear order in several sections. Obviously promoted personnel, eg. the subject editor or chief correspondnet need to be at the top, but the rest should be in alphabetical order. With forgien correspondnets it is slightly more complicated, as surely it is better to have people in the same place next to each other. So, I suggest with foreign correspondents ordering as: promoted (i.e. editor), then alphabetical order of cities, with correspondents in alphabetical order within that city.
3) BBC World Service Presenters need to be added, which could be complicated as I don't think their shift patterns are as ridgid as others listed here. Maybe would be best to have them listed under programme - e.g. The World Today - Komla Dumor, Max Pearson etc.
4) I think that the weather presenters appear across so many different shifts on raido and tv that to have listed responsiblities as we currently do (inaccurately) is not sensible. I suggest a simple alphabetical list of all weather presenters.
5) I'm not convinced that the section on programme presenters falls under the remit of this article. Many other BBC News programmes are made which aren't listed here - and surely programmes that happen to be shown in segments on BBC News or BBC World News should be listed seperately on the appropriate channels page.
Finally, 6) As an extra thought - this article has a very broad range of information. Although it may be good to see it together - it may be more user friendly to seperate it into two seperate articles - BBC News Presenters ; and BBC News Correspondents. Any thoughts?
Hariet Cass and Susan Rae
- They are indeed missing, as are 'newsreaders' on all radio stations. Although they have the title newsreaders, this article focuses on journalists who work for the BBC. Harriet Cass and Susan Rae are both announcers, who often read the news. They never write the scripts, unlike say George Alagiah on the BBC News at Six. Although technically they are newsreaders they would not fit into this article which aims to list journalists. This may be more of a reflection on the article's title. Uvghifds (talk) 16:35, 7 June 2012 (UTC)
- ah thanks for the insight. -- 00:10, 8 June 2012 (UTC)
- Harriet Cass is no longer a BBC news reader. Neither she nor Susan Rae spell their names with an underscore. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 08:11, 24 May 2014 (UTC)
What has happened to this article? Someone has taken away many people from the correspondents section. This should not just be British TV correspondents, but all those working for the BBC on each topic, eg. for the World Service. Please help to return these if you can! Uvghifds (talk) 17:24, 29 March 2013 (UTC)
- There has been a masacre! At first I thought it was just World Service correspondents who had been taken away. But it's not - many who appear on UK Radio and TV all the time had been removed. So I have copied and pasted an old version from a few months ago into the correspondents sections. There are minor errors - please help correct them :)
HardTalk is shown through the night probably at 0030 but never at 1230 please correct this (simulcast section) also it is shown at 1035 Tuesdays & Fridays BBC 2 (check R.T. website) but it isn't on News Channel at this time. 1701Will (talk) 09:23, 26 February 2014 (UTC)
Simon McCoy, Naga Munchetty and Katherine Downes
Simon McCoy hasn't been seen on News Channel (0830-1100 slot) recently (Today it's Chris Eakin alongside a female newsreader - can't think of her name). Also last week Naga Munchetty was on BBC Breakfast in the second half of the week. Katherine Downes was the newsreader on the Breakfast Sofa on Sunday leaving while the weather is on in the final half hour of the programme (about 0840) to read the News on The Andrew Marr Show (This is normal for the female newsreader when Marr's Show is on) 1701Will (talk) 09:54, 26 February 2014 (UTC)
Can we please have a section on how 75% of those given the top jobs (national presenters) are married with children? Far above the national average of 38% of adults being married (2011), and the percentage of intervieews married with children? Probably far lower. I want to see more homosexuals, lesbians, feminists, transexuals, single moms & dads presenting on the BBC. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 19:59, 29 November 2014 (UTC)
Where does it say that Clive Myrie and Mishal Husain are currently acting chief weekend presenters, if anyone this post would currently be Reeta Chakrabarti's. Also Simon McCoy should be included in the bbc1 section, as he regularly presents the news at one. Clive Myrie is the chief presenter of the news at nine and the papers, Sophie Lng needs moving to relief, and Gavin Grey needs adding to relief, while,many of those listed under relief need removing. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 20:48, 6 May 2015 (UTC)
- The list is a bit outdated. Tanya Beckett is listed as a relief presenter on BBC World News, while she has been the regular anchor for the evening business news (often = evening general news in European timetables) of that channel for years (working with New York business reporter Michelle Fleury and others). Also, former star presenter Mishal Husain is barely ever seen on BBC World over the last three years or so. I understand she's mostly doing radio news these days.220.127.116.11 (talk) 14:07, 8 July 2016 (UTC)
Distinction between BBC One, BBC News and BBC World News
Recently people have been editing the article to remove this distinction by including simulcast presenters on the BBC One and BBC News tables, which is making them look unnecessarily long and confusing. I think the previous system of having a note that a BBC World News simulcast occurred during particular hours was more efficient. Also, the removal of hours has made the tables for the BBC News Channel and BBC World News look very confused, since the presenters remain ordered in that manner but it's not actually stated.
Also this 'Chief presenter' thing for BBC One presenters is something which isn't publicly used by the BBC, perhaps they do internally, but I don't think it's appropriate for this article. Bbbnbbb (talk) 18:23, 21 June 2015 (UTC)
^ I have removed this information before but it keeps getting re-added. There is clearly some over-zealous Wikipedia editor who seems to think it's a thing. If you google "chief presenter" BBC News the only pages that appear are on Wiki 18.104.22.168 (talk) 22:25, 15 August 2015 (UTC)